main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Clone Troopers in OT

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by BruceM, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BruceM

BruceM Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2006
    Okay, I have a question. According to BF2, somewhere between ROTS and ANH, the clone troopers were given stormtrooper armor as seen in ANH. We also learn that after the clone uprising on Kamino, the Emporer stated that he did not wish for perfectly cloned clones, but recruitments. So, as an estimate, how many clone troopers were actually still members of the 501st or empire for that matter, and even, do they ever die down. Whatr do u guys think. Also, should palpatine still had clones cloned to help him out, or was that just for benifits during the clone wars for his rise. I know this thread is borderline Ot and Pt, but yeah. What are your thoughts.

2. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    For some reason most Star Wars fans I know consider the Action Figures to be more canon than all the EU. Considering Hasbro's latest Death Star Gunner, Scout Trooper, Snowtrooper and Stormtrooper all have removable helmets with the Clonetrooper's Jango-Face, I'd say SOMEBODY has decided that ALL armored Imperial troops are Jango-Clones, even in the OT era.

I guess re-cloning clones all those years might account for their relative stupidity and bad aim.

3. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    The events you make mention of in BattleFront 2 are a very low level of canon. Most likely, those events will never be mentioned again in any type of novel or the TV show. What we do know from the movies as that the clones are effected by growth acceleration and I find it unlikely, that any of the original 501st survived into the time of the OT. Though I do believe a sizable portion of the Imperial Navy was cloned, the majority were recuitments. The the Dark Lord novel, Palpatine says that he has ordered more batches of clones to be created due to the original clone aging at an accelerated rate. So I'm sure he continued the process of using clones in the Imperial Navy, but the game BattleFront 2 shouldn't be taken as fact entirely. The last 501st mission of the battle of hoth could not be true.

4. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    We know the answer to this question. If the stormtroopers were all Jango clones, then they all would have hit their heads on that doorway, not just the one guy who was taller than the others.

:p

5. BruceM

Mar 8, 2006
    Good point, unless that one guy was the only non-clone in that group and was the tallest

6. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
    I think people need to remember that an overwhelming majority of people that watch the films will do just that: watch the films. Books, comics, games, toys, Internet forums, etc. are meaningless and have nothing to do with "true" Star Wars. In the realm of the films, we first see the stormtroopers in Attack of the Clones, and the last time we see them is in Return of the Jedi. To add to that, Lucas himself never calls them "clonetroopers" in his commentary. He calls them stormtroopers in Episode II. In fact, when all is said and done, calling them clonetroopers is, in a way, "wrong." To most people now and until "forever" when they watch the films, they will just "know" that under that armor in A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi the stormtroopers have the face of good 'ol Jango.

While I admit to loving the games, collecting the toys, and, obviously, taking part in online forums, the fact is that most people do not, and as the years march on, it will be the six films and nothing more, and within the confines of those six films, they they are ALWAYS stormtroopers. Uniforms and such change style over time, and, in fact, stormtrooper armor changed within the original three films as it is. I'd really not be surprised if, one day, ALL stormtrooper dialogue is redubbed in the originals.

7. BruceM

Mar 8, 2006
    yeah, thats true. I think that they should redub at least a few stormtroopers and give them a clone voice instead of their actors voice. I would be another way to bridge the OT and the PT. Also, is the %01st actually in the star wars films or EU, or is that just somethin that the groupd around the world made. I would like ot know.

8. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    It's actually in the EU. It was put in as a tribute to the 501st Stormtrooper Legion which is the premiere Imperial costuming group.

9. JediCirrus

JediCirrus Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2002
    You have to remember one thing in all of this...

The clones were engineered to grow/age at twice the normal rate. If you look at any military force in the real world, as people get older they either get promoted or kicked out. The front line troops need to be young for what they do.

So my opinion in all this is that all the stormtroopers are new recruits. There MIGHT be a few clones left, but they would be used to train the newer recruits. The different legions like the 501st would still be around, they would just have different people in them.

10. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    I don't recall any 501st anything in the movies, and GL and Coleman said the stormtroopers are clones. If they could have casted all the extras in the suits to all be 5'10", they would have.

Troopers being clones has been speculated from day one, since Ben uttered Clone Wars in Star Wars '77.

Leetbacca says Nuh-Uff Seh-Aid (record scratch) nu- (record scratch)nu-nu-nu (record scratch)uff said....

:cool:

11. starwars_artist

starwars_artist Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2006
    wat i dont get is what happened to the clone troops scattered across the galaxy after the second death star blew up. they coodnt really let them live as normal people; a crime is committed and there are several thousand suspects, all identical. yet it would be slightly inhumane to kill them all

12. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The troops that stormed the temple with Vader are the 501st. After a while, they are known as Vader's Fist or something of the sort. The 501st is still in extistence in the Legacy comic.

13. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Actually it's the other way around. The clone would have been the one to hit his head, making the others either recruits or clones from a different source. Watch AOTC when Slave 1 is taking off from Kamino. Jango hits his head on the door (in reference to the moment in ANH), so that stormtrooper in ANH is a Jango clone.

14. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    The Stormtrooper that hits his head in ANH is a Jango clone? I'm not willing to accept that. We hear about the "clone wars" in the film, but nothing about the "clonetrooper wars."

I prefer the idea that all Stormtroopers were recruits by the time of ANH.

When the clone wars are briefly mentioned in ANH, how many of you honestly thought it would mean clonetroopers who later become stormtroopers? I always thought it meant some cloned warriors from some planet that were created to destroy the republic. Maybe I'm getting off topic here.

15. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    And you were right :)

:p

16. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    You just looooooooooooove throwing out EU stuff in film threads, don't you Mr. Smoking Avatar.

17. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Oh yeah, I just love spewing EU knowledge in the film threads. You gotta problem with that?

And the name is rumsmuggler bud, not Mr. Smoking Avatar.:)

18. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    My feeling, taking into consideration the films alone, is that the Stormtrooper legions consist of a mix of clones and "natural-borns". In light of the PT, the two 'Troopers Obi-Wan overhears conversing near the DS power terminal are clearly /not/ related to Jango Fett -- even, most tellingly, in the DVD-04s. Yet that one 'Trooper who bangs his head on the doorway clearly /is/! Unless the Empire continues to pay the Kaminoans its asking prices -- which are likely higher than the cost of simply /training/ natural-borns -- the only clones still around by ANH are older, veteran soldiers. The rest are recruits, perhaps even conscripted, from the thousands of systems in the GFFA.

As to this putative rapid aging, the technique described in AOTC is "growth acceleration" -- not "rapid aging." This phrase is more logically interpreted to mean that once "growth" ceases upon full maturity, the aging processes revert to normal, genetically-dictated rates. This would mean that by the time of the OT, any surviving clones would be the more seasoned Stormtrooper officers and veteran forces.

19. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I've wondered if Palps decided to switch over to non-growth accelerated Fett clones after he has the Empire firmly under his control. I doubt that he would do such a thing. Sith don't care about clones.

20. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    If I was an evil dictator I'd rather enlist or force people to join my army
    than wait 10 yrs for new clones to mature.
    Ya conquer a world and force a few thousand to join you, what could be quicker.

21. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    From http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/clonetroopers/?id=eu

Following the rise of the Empire, the military cloning program expanded to include new clone hosts. By the time of the Empire consolidated its power by dissolving the Senate, the ranks of the Imperial stormtroopers would include cloned infantry from multiple sources as well as birth-born conscripts and recruits from various worlds.

22. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    True..

23. X-Wing-Ace

X-Wing-Ace Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2006
    If they're all Clones then they'd all have Kiwi accents rather than American accents. The non-cloned Stormtroopers are easily identified 'cause they would have an American accent.

Actually, even the original O-OT Stormtroopers were dubbed, because the extras inside the costumes were English.

24. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

I should elaborate on my post I guess. I meant a race of beings that we don't see again later in the story. I always thought the Clone Wars were between Jedi and clones and the clones were defeated. The way it is now, the Jedi were defeated and the clones became troopers for the Empire. I would never have guessed George would change it up like that. It's another case of the GFFA being pretty darned small, IMHO.

25. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Lucas went back and changed Boba Fett's voice to make Jango/Clones however he didn't change the voice to the stromtroopers in ANH. So we have to guess that, cause they do not have the same voice as a clone trooper then they are not clones. Not the ones that are speaking anyway

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.