main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Clone Troopers in OT

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by BruceM, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    Based soley on what I see in the films themselves; The Stormtroopers of the OT are all clones. This would explain their loyalty to the Emperor whereas most of the officers were obedient through fear. Also when the Emperor is killed; the Empire is gone literally overnight. We see this in the end celebration where all the planets celebrate openly. Why would willing recruits suddenly turn coat to the ideal of the Emperor just because their leader was killed. Wouldn't they simply reorganise and elect a new leader? This is because the Stormtroopers were programmed to be loyal to the Emperor and when he was killed the chain of command was destroyed. The alpha numeric names in the OT are also a clue to this. They have no real names because they are not 'real' people. They do not operate out of their own conscience. Another clue to this is Obi Wan's mind trick on the Stormtroopers and his comment on its' reliable use on the weak minded.

Now granted; they arent called clonetroopers in the OT and they do vary in height and voice, but consider that Lucas didn't have the means or the money to make digital exactness of the troopers to one another. The most logical explanation of this however (if it's needed) is that the original Fett strain of DNA was used up and so new sources were created from a handful of hosts.

At any rate, even if the Stormtroopers weren't intended to be clones when the OT was made, consider that Lucas purposely wanted to change the OT with the PT's creation. This kind of thing falls under that criteria.

2. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

If you watch the OT, there are no clones, only Stormtroopers. We see nothing to contradict this. In fact, we see or hear things that support it.

If you watch the PT, there are Clonetroopers. Yeah, George got the brainstorm to make the troopers clones in the OT as well, but it doesn't fit what we see and hear.

As far as George not having the ability to pull off clonetroopers in the OT, that's kinda silly. Since we never saw a Stormtrooper without a helmet on, all George had to do was hire guys roughly the same height to fill the armor. All the voices were overdubbed anyway, so he just had to use the same guy for all the voices. I think it's clear that the reason George didn't pay that close of attention back then was because he hadn't thought of them being clones yet.

Others can see the movies as a saga, but it's reasons like this that make them two seperate trilogies to me. Your results may vary.

3. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    KIWITROOPERS

Ewpen the bleest dooh, ewpen the bleest dooh!

Dees ant the druweeds yooh lookeen fah!

Dehz woon. Seet foh stan! (zap) Shill be ohl reht. Infahm Lood Veedah we hehv uh preesnah.

4. JediCirrus

JediCirrus Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2002
    When Obi-wan talks about the 'Clone Wars', he is talking about something in the past. If all of the troops were still clones, this would still be going on.

If the Emperor had the technology to increase growth on demand, then the reverse technology of slowing down growth on
    demand would be usable. The Emperor would use this on himself, after all who wants to get older? Also, growth on a cellular level continues your entire life. This is how cuts can heal, you get new skin and hair, etc. Cells live, die, and another takes its place. All cells come from common T-cells. A cellular life cycle and growth speed would not change at a given amount of time. A cell would age at the same rate since they all come from the same place. If you can age an entity at a certain rate, then have the ability to slow it down, why not age them at 3x, 4x, or even 10x the normal rate or the 2x rate that the Kamino cloners? That way you can have a batch of clones in 2 years instead of 10? This is still enough time for the training they receive.

As to the troopers using a designator, this was used to take away their independence. They were trained to act as a unit with the idealistic goals of the Empire being the first and only loyalty. This can be seen in real life also. Take suicide bombers, kamikaze pilots, etc. Not everybody was against the Empire, so you would still have a vast amount of systems to recruit fanatics from.

Also, clones were all of the standard troops. You will notice that the pilots and AT-RT Pilots were all clones in the PT. However, in Return of the Jedi, the AT-ST pilots were not clones.

There was an Academy that trained Imperial Pilots. Luke wanted to join this to become an Imperial Pilot before he got swept up with the droids. A sizable portion of the Rebel Army and Rebel Pilots are deserters from the Empire. None of them are clones and some if not all came from the Academy also. Biggs went to the Academy before joining the Rebellion.

At most, some of the stormtroopers may have been clones in the OT but I highly doubt it. In my opinion and with the information given us, this is not the case.

My 2 cents...

5. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Wrong.

The clone wars was between the republic and federation. The clone wars ended in Epiii. Epiv is a smaller civil war erupted many years after. empire vs small rebellion. There's a diffy-whiffy-wifference.

6. Darthgordon

Darthgordon Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    This seems like the most plausible explination to me. The stormtroopers are not the same height nor do they sound like Jango. Out of the one's that spoke however, I only recall two distinct voices. Supporting the idea that some of them were in fact clones, but not clones of Jango. Some of them could still be clones of Jango as well, but not all of them.

7. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    And to think none of this was even a concern prior to Attack of the Clones.

Does anybody else get upset when the PT causes inconsistencies between the two trilogies? Now all of a sudden things in the OT are wrong or have to be changed. Ugh.

If you only care for the OT, they are Stormtroopers, not clones.

If you follow the whole saga (I don't), then they are clones all the way back to 1977.

All the inconsistencies can be easily explained away, it seems. I don't buy it.

8. X-Wing-Ace

X-Wing-Ace Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2006
    Yes.

9. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    No.

Getting upset over any of it means that it's a good idea to get out more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.