main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Clone Troopers or Storm Troopers?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by skyrimcat9416, Jan 26, 2014.

?

Clone Troopers or Storm Troopers?

1. Clone Troopers

98 vote(s)
    60.1%
  2. Storm Troopers

65 vote(s)
    39.9%
  1. May_The_Force_Be_With_You

May_The_Force_Be_With_You Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2014
    Haha my sentiments exactly.

2. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    It will be cool to see some Stormtrooper personalities in the Rebels show or rebel soldiers.

3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It's very difficult to say
    I dislike how the clones are portrayed in TCW
    Yes, it's true that they do have at least limited personalities based on how we see Cody, but I really don't like how exaggerated it is in TCW. I always like the idea that the clones followed orders without question or hesitation. There's a lot of EU where the clones are unsure or even deny the order, which I think really takes away from the whole creepy factor of Order 66. Creepy in the view of "holy crap.... they so heartlessly betrayed their generals in a second"

Stormtroopers on the other hand.... they're, like the clones, fairly generic and even more faceless. I'm not sure

I'd probably have to go with the clones here

4. SarlacsDinnerParty

SarlacsDinnerParty Jedi Knight

Aug 24, 2014
    Voted storm troopers :cool:

5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think a possible contributing factor may be how each is perceived. The clones are often seen as 'good' and the Stormies as 'bad'. I can understand why but personally I see them all as victims and pawns. As I indicated previously by voting Stormies, I often empathise with the ones deliberately cast in a negative light. I wonder how they came to be as they are and want them to mend whatever caused the veering and usually they simply die, very disheartening not to mention cheap.

Empress Shatterpoint likes this.
  6. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Clones. Hands down.

7. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Clonetroopers for me I like Stormtroopers too but There's just something about the Camaraderie the clones have. That would be an army I'd sign up for if I could lol. It kinda bums me out to think that by the time of ANH mostly all the Jango clones are dead and the Stormtroopers of the OT are volunteers. if the Jango clones were in their prime during the OT The Rebels would not have stood a chance.

8. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    With the movies, they just evoke different imagery
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Visivious Drakarn likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Not a good comparison. One is an action scene, the other isn't.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  10. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    ...It's a joke. I gave my honest evaluation on the first page.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Jango, the Clone template did what the Stormtrooper did in AOTC.

12. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    I was not impressed with either characterization. Both were reduced to faceless filler soldiers when they could have been much more.

Stormtroopers were portrayed as imperial muscle with cartoon incompetence for plot convenience throughout the OT. Not once did we glimpse any personality behind those white armors, nor were we given credible reason for them to side with the Empire. Similarly, other than the obvious ‘well, any party willing to destroy planets must be entrenched in corruption’, we were not supplied with reasons for Rebels to, well, rebel (their existence being long before the Death Star invention). What ideals do the Rebellion hold? Why/How are Imperials duped by Palpatine?

In ROTS, we see how Palps takes advantage of a desperate galactic population to ‘end’ (by imposition of an empire in the name of ‘peace, justice and security’) a conflict he orchestrated himself for his own greed. The Original Trilogy would have benefited from a few imperial/stormies backstories to illustrate the depth of those corrupted ideals and to explain why, after 19 years of imperial reign, the sheer number & vigor of those joining imperial service. In ESB there could have been maybe subplots of imperials or rebels defecting to the other side to increase the greyness of this-of any, really-political conflict.

Clonetroopers suffered a similar identity blankness in the PT. We know that they were created for the following of specific orders. Options for this were to either make them completely robot-like, breathing no other air than their programed obedience, or to give them full-fledged individuality that would just go disappear/be repressed during the execution of Sidious-orders. I was disappointed that GL went with the former, for the addition of Clone personality would have enhanced the slavery theme (seeing well-developed clone characters be a slave to their inhumane programming when the time came) and augmented the feeling of betrayal from Order 66. As it was, while feeling jolted as though on the end of an electric shock from seeing Clones betray what is supposed to be their Jedi allies, I did not experience the full horror of viewing profound Clones characters betraying their interesting Jedi counterparts…because they were all devoid of any individual characteristics.C-3P0 was shown to possess a more developed personality than the lot of them.

I also think the problem of secondary characters went deeper than just the clones/stormtroopers portrayal in the saga. Other than the Han-Luke-Leia trio (and perhaps Lando) in the OT, there simply was a lack of Rebel Alliance character arcs/presence. Why were so-and so important to the rebellion? What indispensable steps did they take towards victory in ESB? Personal struggles/character flavors? Ah, looks like so and so died trying to destroy the Death Star…

Jedi in the PT were not represented better. Apart from Gui-Gon, Anakin, Mace, Yoda and Obi-Wan, I could not name any personal trait belonging to Jedi Council members (or Jedi outside the council). What unique contribution do they give to the Order? Ki Adi-Mundi has a (expendable) few lines here and there but they tell little about him. The rest could have very well not have been present at all in those movies. Ah, looks like so-and-so went down in Order66(insert filler death)…To contrast this with the Harry Potter series, in which secondary characters like teachers are still given distinct FLAVORS(Trelawney, Hagrid, McGonagall, Flitwick, Sprout…however minor they still manage to show their own traits), well I believe Star Wars falls short in this area.

In short, OP, I did not submit a vote for either Stormtroopers or Clones, for their character emptiness seemed equal to me.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  13. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I prefer Clone Troopers. I appreciate how their backstory is given in the films, and I enjoy the personalities created for them in TCW and to a lesser degree, ROTS. The commraderie they seem to share between each other and the Jedi makes them quite likeable. With the Stormtroopers, we don't get any background on them. They follow Vader around rather silently and we never see their faces. When we see the films, we can sort of put the dots together and see how Clone Troopers evolved into Stormtroopers, but we don't see how Stormtroopers evolved from Clone Troopers. That's something I'd much like to learn about or have gotten a glimpse of in the films. We know about 1/3 of the Jango clones are still around in ANH, but we don't know who they are, and it took GL having to explain that outside of the films for it to be known.

Visivious Drakarn and Iron_lord like this.
  14. Rupelone

Rupelone Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2014
    Totally agree with you.

15. Force Ghost

Force Ghost Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2014
    Winning lol

16. Force Ghost

Sep 25, 2014
    Clones are far cooler. Mass produced Jangos trump half assed trained white armoured bumpkins

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The Stormtroopers have quite a few lines in ANH, and all of them are essentially inspried by THX-1138.

18. Bring_My_Shuttle

Bring_My_Shuttle Jedi Master star 1

Oct 22, 2006
    I don't see why that's necessary though, there are plenty of non-masked imperial officers and they (sorta) have personalities.

Anyway, Clone Troopers can't hold a candle to Stormtroopers in cultural recognition. And I like those bumbling, bad aiming, simple-minded Stormtroopers, it's part of what makes them fascinating.

19. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I admit the clones have grown on me, I remember liking them quit a bit when I was younger. I agree that the TCW did give the clones more personality's, there armor is pretty cool and they can actually hit something. I have noticed lately that I like both pretty equally to be honest.

AshiusX likes this.
  20. bryant

bryant Jedi Youngling

Sep 25, 2014
    I am forced into saying clones due to the fact that I have an emotional investment in them that just does not exist with stormtroopers. With all the material that is available I have built that emotional attachment to the clones and there is nothing that connects me with the stormtroopers to that degree. I want to like the stormies...I just can't do it.

21. Force Ghost

Sep 25, 2014
    I would watch TCWs. You get a lot of stories of the council members. Kit Fisto and my BOY Plo-Koon have several stories around them. Others as well.

22. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    I always felt that the Clones felt more human when they were NOT fighting, whereas the Storm Troopers felt more human when they WERE fighting

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. Archie Brown

Archie Brown Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2015
    Clone troopers! Most storm troopers are volunteers!

24. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    I like Clones better. Stormtroopers look nice....but they just can't hit anything.

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Clone troopers

They actually hit stuff

And have personalities.

AshiusX likes this.