main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series "Clone Wars" (03-05) Appreciation and Continuity Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DarthPhilosopher, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/a/af/CloneWarslogo.JPG]

I know we have a ?is this series canon? thread, however I thought we should have a thread dedicated to appreciating this series which has unfortunately been thrown to the ?weigh-side? of the current series. Having just re-watched this series I have a new found my own personal appreciation for it. Given that I think it may be a good idea to perhaps do a ?rate this episode? for this series as a whole as well...

This series, for me, has a classic charm which the current series seems to be lacking/missing. Whilst the current series is good in its own respects, with its fantastic storytelling and deep and intricate plot devices, this series seems to step to the side of this. It may be because, to me, this is my ?nostalgic? Star Wars with TPM and AOTC, and as such I have a liking for this series which is possibility within a minority and rather unique. Something about this series however holds my attentiveness, with its cool music, simple yet enticing plot, exceptional choreography and groundbreaking (for Star Wars) cartoon imagery. Furthermore the Battle Droids within this series seem to be an idealistic representation, being dim witted yet scary at the same time.

Furthermore I think this series serves as a genuine PRELUDE for The Clone Wars with the establishment of Asajj Ventress, the introduction of General Grievous and the process of Anakin Knighthood. As such, to me Season One, Season Two and the first half of Season Three of Clone Wars are deeply entrenched within my personal canon.

We should also use this thread in an attempt to streamline the continuity between Clone Wars and The Clone Wars.

2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Eh.. :p

I haven't seen the micro series in a few years, but I would definitely rewatch it.

3. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Durge, Muunilist 10, Hypori, Duel on Yavin 4, Coruscant.

That is all.

4. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    As this is a micro-series appreciation thread, I'm afraid I won't be joining in.

5. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    I love both series and have watched both in their entirety recently. Looking at this thread gave me a thought: both series have more in-depth, meaningful stories as they go along. Look at the first versus third season in both, there's a huge difference in each, both heading in the same direction, which gives them a commonality.

6. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    "Gee, Captain Fordo, it's a good thing we brought all those explosives for a change, huh?"
    "What do you mean 'for a change'?"
    "Nevermind...uh...is that a group of bikers destroying our heavy walkers with jousting sticks?"

Definitely had incredible entertainment value. And it's short, so there's less room to nitpick. [face_laugh]

Though I don't know how to classify this exactly. Is it 'less is more' because they only had five to ten minutes per short? Or is it 'let's cram more and more into less' because of all the crazy stuff going down? Either way, I gotta give props to Genndy. Guy does a fantastic job. :p

As to 'where it fits'...well, easiest answer is that the first volume occurs before TCW, while TCW occurs before the second volume, at least with the point of Anakin's vision quest.

7. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    If I had to nitpick, (and I do), I would complain about the voice acting for some characters. Namely, Anakin, Padme, and Ventress.

It might be closer to the films, but this version of Anakin sounds like his crotch is in a vice-grip. The problem with Padme and Ventress is a bit more puzzling. Both were voiced by Grey DeLisle, who I usually love as a voice actress. She sounds fine as Shaak Ti, but these two just sound either too screechy, or over-acted.

But apart from that, the voices were great. John friggin' DiMaggio played Grievous! Bender is Grievous!

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    As much as I love Matthew Wood's voice work as Grievous, I can't help but admit DiMaggio-Grievous will always hold a special place in my heart.

And so too will the rest of Genndy's show. I've watched those old episodes more times than I can count. Except for the boring one with the rain fight on Yavin.... too much Crounching-Tiger and not enough plot in that one.

Also, another great thing about this series: you can show it to casual Star Wars fans, and they love them. They're quick, the plot moves right along, and they're creative. It's a lot harder getting casual fans to sit through most of the new TCWs.

9. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Hah! My favourite episode in that series. And the one on Muunilinst was great too.

I thought the one with Windu taking out the droid army was boring.

I like the new series better, even though you can't really compare them.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, they're not easy to compare. To me, at least, it seems that when TCW is good, it far exceeds anything Genndy's show did. But when it's bad... it's pretty abysmal.

I think that's what comes when you have a bunch of different people working on a huge project like TCW. Genndy's show wasn't as large-scale, so quality was fairly consistent. For the new shows, even if the initial ideas were thought up by all the same people and the editing is managed by the same group for every episode, there are still so many folks involved and split-second decisions bouncing around among so many people that the final outcome is far more variable.

11. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    I'll bet you looooved seeing San Hill manhandled by Durge, Barriss. Fantastic screentime there, and I'm being honest! [face_laugh]

The more I think about that fiasco, the more I think that turbo lance fiasco is both one of my favourite scenes, as well as one of the most outrageous sequences to me. Not quite Mace on Dantooine, but still. :p

Also props to DiMaggio. His Grievous sounded awesome, and at the same time, NOTHING like his more prominent voice roles. :D

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

I did, it was very erotic.

13. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Battle of Muunilinst BY FAR my favourite scene in Star Wars. We had Fordo and his beast ARC Troopers, epic space battle with millions of Geonosian starfighters, and of course...DURGE!!! Man he really needs to come back. But as a Gen'Dai.

The micro-series, in all its 2 hours 10 minutes, had more epicosity than the 24+hours so far of TCW, I'm afraid to say.

14. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I agree about Ventress and Anakin but i hate Grievous too:p don't think that echo is cool- guy sounds like public announcement or something not a character[face_talk_hand] ......in fact i hate all voices in this (Mace will do and Durge, maybe San Hill, all the rest are just bad) but since this is "appreciation" thread :D i can say i like the series it's fun to watch- it has big explosions and all- nice battles and music is used nicely it's cool Star Wars- something TCW should show more....

15. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    The voice actor for the Clones is sooooo bad. [face_sick]

16. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    hey this is supposedly appreciation thread:p i don't like any voices really- Yoda is okay and Dooku and Mace but Saesee is just a bad joke really i always laugh to his "attack!"-order- Sidious is odd hissing guy etc.
    ok Qui-Gon imitation was not bad in Yoda's vision....

17. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I thought Shaak Ti's voice was pretty cool.

o_O

18. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Agreed on all points.

I recently rewatched this series and was pleasantly surprised by how well it held up. Yes, Genndy had the advantage of having 5 minutes per episode to do a couple really awesome scenes, but he packed a whole lot of awesome into a small package.

I was thinking it would be amazing to take a TCW episode and turn it into a 5-minute "CW" episode, and we could have a contest. Unfortunately, due to copyright issues, I don't think that would ever happen.:_|

19. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Well Shaak is not bad and Obi-Wan is just like in TCW- oh wait.....:p but i don't like Palpy or Ki-Adi for example... Oppo was ok too he had funny way to talk - i wonder if TCW will give him different voice though.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.