main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Clone Wars 2002

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by JediKnight75, Jan 28, 2014.

1. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    So I can hardly remember playing this game; I was around eight when it came out. As a result, I was curious, how was its story? Did of add anything to the Clone Wars era? Did it have a good portrayal of Anakin? Thanks.

2. AstroFan428

AstroFan428 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't recall if it had much of a story, if at all. In my mind I remember it as Battlefront light, a couple years before BF came out. I played it on Gamecube, and I specifically remember always passing up the chance to rent it because it wasn't that good.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I played a good bit of it. Very linear- I believe you alternated between Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Mace. Mainly controlled vehicles, little bit of saber combat, but a pretty poor effort on the whole.

4. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    The game can best be described as an arcade vehicle shooter in the vein of the Rogue Squadron or Starfighter series. But where those games were about air or space combat, this was mainly about ground combat. The game was centred mostly on the Republic hover-tank (invented for the game), with occasional sections on foot or in the gunship seen in Attack of the Clones. There was also one or two chase missions on speeder bikes. Enemies you encounter are mainly those seen in the battle on Geonosis in Episode 2, which is also the first level of the game.

It's a fun play-through to be sure, if not particularly memorable. I remember that I had fun with it, but I hardly ever revisited it. The story, set immediately after Attack of the Clones, was utterly forgettable and involves Dooku rebuilding an ancient Sith weapon that involves the Force in some way, if memory serves. As a fun little bonus, you unlock an on-foot endurance mode in the Geonosis arena after finishing the game, where you face waves of attacking enemies. In it, you can choose to play as Yoda.

5. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    Was this the thing with the tanks?

If so I spent an inordinate amount of time playing the co-op arena multiplayer where you fought waves of enemies. It seemed like a fun timewaster but then we were all about 13 when we played it.

Never got any of the singleplayer in - a friend owned it so we'd only ever play the multiplayer at whoevers house we're congregated at.

6. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. A lot of what has been said goes along with my memories. It used to be my favorite game; I just can't remember the story. I think I had made up my own version of what was really happening. All I remember was the scene where Anakin gets captured and then when he spoke to the spirit on Rhen Var. Apparently it was Ulic Quel Drama; I thought he was Palpatine.

I also remember it having a fun multiplayer, but I didn't play it much. I've always preferred single player since it didn't require me to die incessantly. Well I guess there was the co-op, which I loved. I'm terrible at video games; I don't know why, I play them a lot.

I think I might try to buy this game used. Whether it's good or bad, the nostalgia aspect will be fun.

7. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    The weapon that Dooku was trying to rebuild was called a Force Harvester. Ulic plays a part and does appear to Anakin. So it was cool that they used a pre existing comics character.

8. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    That would have been cool. I wish I noticed it when I first played the game. As an 8 year old I was like "look there's a guy in a hooded robe; it must be the emperor trying to corrupt Anakin." Then years later I find out that wasn't the case.

So how winy was Anakin in this game? I know it was 2002, so character development wasn't that big of a deal yet, but I'm still wondering of they did anything good with him.

9. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I honestly can't remember. To the extent that there was any dialogue, it was either exposition, or orders and information relevant to the task at hand. Anakin may have disobeyed an order, or bent his understanding of it to suit himself, at some point in the game, but I may just as well be misremembering.

10. Heavy Isotope

Heavy Isotope Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 10, 2013
    From what I can remember is Anakin is conflicted at the end. I don't know why. He's all stoic and poorly animated. Obi-wan tries to tell him he had done well and Anakin just brushes it off when Obi-wan tells him he's grown more powerful. I guess it's not that he's whiny it's just that he's becoming more impulsive... ?

I really only enjoyed the Geonosis arena survival mode you guys are talking about and the gunship levels.

11. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I Have the game as I picked it up on ebay it's a fun and frusting game to play but I haven't got much time to play it and it's incredibly hard. I'm stuck on the Protodeka level. Anything Clone Wars is good!