main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Clone Wars 3D Continuity

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DarthWolvo23, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Let's be honest, the whole Force-chest-crush-leads-to-coughing-thing was just ridiculous. Grievous has all his internal organs in a bags and bowls, a technology which hasn't been perfected yet, and is a visual precursor to the strained breathing of Darth Vader. The Clone Wars guys found out too late and threw in a lame retcon. I hope Grievous is a cowardly, coughing slimy villain in the new show, it would be a final insult to the old cartoon, which was over-the-top, and chock full of the worst animation I've seen since Powerpuff Girls.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, with Matt Wood voicing Grievous, I think it's safe to say the character will be more in line with his portrayal in ROTS (as much as I absolutely loved a few of his line deliveries in Volume 2). And I think you'll see at least some of Grievous's Jedi-killing abilities (remember, he does have a collection of sabers to acquire), but they'll be scaled down from his Hypori tactics.

And some of you seem to think Lucas will overwrite or ignore the existing cartoon because you didn't like it- recall though that Lucas DID like them- it's why there's a Volume 2 in the first place, let alone one that was a prominent ROTS lead-in. If Lucas didn't like the show, we would have had the first volume of micro-series episodes, and that would have been it.

And yeah, it's not "Clone Wars Volume 3", but that's logical- calling it volume 3 would imply it's the same show, same style, etc where it's not. It's not a direct continuation of the prior show, but it's still part of the same continuity (visual indulgances aside).

3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Its cool that Matt Wood is coming back. I recognised his voice in the trailer straight away.

4. Willy-Wonka-nobi

Willy-Wonka-nobi Jedi Master star 1

Feb 6, 2004
    Lucus obviously liked the microseries (as did I) for the reasons you stated. But I wouldn't say that it is part of the same continuity. We just don't know yet.

Just because he liked it, doesn't mean he's not going to over-write it and other aspects of the clone wars. He will want to tell an original story, and he and his team of writers for the series will do just that. I am almost positive he is going to mess with the overall continuity (this includes novels, games, comics, and the cartoons) in some way, whether major or minor. And guess what, he can because he's George Lucas. He created it. As much as others can go and make a cool story, he always reserves the right to go "no this is what happened." Enter the retcon. The only thing us fanboys have to help us sleep at night...

He retconned his OWN movies to make them fit better with the PT, for crying out loud!

5. MaStEr JiMmY PaGe *ZoSo*

MaStEr JiMmY PaGe *ZoSo* Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2000
    The continuity of the Clone Wars? The new Clone Wars show will be a remake and a expansion upon the old micro-series. Lucas said himself at a recent director's festival that the Cartoon Network micro-series were a "test".

Furthermore, at MF.com, a member there who was at Celebration 4, posted that at one of the Clone Wars panels, one of the panelists indicated "the series will span the entire Clone Wars era, which means the characters will evolve. Anakin will have his full on ROTS look as well as the clone troopers."

The2ndquest said as much in the first post of this very thread:
    The Clone Wars needed to be re-visted as the Cartoon Network's micro-series doesn't do it justice. Judging by the trailer, Clone Wars 3D looks like it will.

6. Mungo

Mungo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2007
    No offense to Lucas, but that fact is exactly what removes any credibility he once had as a writer. :( I hate to dog on Lucas, but it's the truth. He can't keep his own stories staight, and he has such a huge ego that he refused to hire people to serve as continuity checkers (Yes, I know he did in terms of editing, but in the end the story is what matters the most.) or even talented screenplay writers. He himself has admitted he isn't good at writing and that he doesn't really enjoy it, yet he continues to write. :confused:

Grievous was a badass who lived up to his reputation in the Clone Wars series and the novelization of Revenge of the Sith. However, in the film Revenge of the Sith, he is a bumbling idiot who serves no purpose other than to get Obi-Wan away from Coruscant.

7. Willy-Wonka-nobi

Feb 6, 2004
    Of course it didn't do it justice. It wasn't meant to. But that is not the principle issue of continuity problems that we will run into, IMO.

The vast majority of storline that we currently have for the era doesn't come from the micro-series; it comes from the literature written about the period. Therefore, most of the continuity in jeopardy comes from novels and comics (most of which I really enjoyed--hence why I keep bringing it UP!).

Sorry if I sound like a broken record, and I realize some of you haven't read any of that material, so you may not even care. But my point in all of my posts on this thread has been this:

If this series will truly span "the entire clone wars era" or "bridge the gap between the first and second volumes of the microseries", either way, there have been a lot of established storylines that occur in that time that may not jive if the writers choose to tell a different story than what is already known.

8. Mungo

Mungo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2007
    I don't think it's the writers we have to worry about... it's Lucas. :(

9. Willy-Wonka-nobi

Feb 6, 2004
    I hope not, but we shall see. The dark side clouds everything... difficult to see the future is.

I still have a lot of respect for Lucas. If it weren't for him we wouldn't be here debating ANYTHING! :)
    However, I do agree to an extent about his writing...

10. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The clone wars should have been left as they were. I think this new series will sink it. I don't care if this damn thing is in high def, is done like a live action tv series/movies. IT IS STILL ANIMATION, and not everybody watches animation. Funny, they might play video games, but they say animation and cartoons are for kids and nerds. Will it be good, probably, will it get the whole world to watch it, maybe, will people care....why, really since we know were everything is headed, and there ain't going to be any more movies. [face_tired]

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Calling the micro-series a "test" doesn't mean it's something temporary & to be repalced by something down the road, but rather a test of Star Wars animation/TV in the current market.

As for not being the same continuity, well, we don't know for certain, but Lucas has made an effort to make spin-off material gel together better, so I don't think it's likely he'd actively go aaginst that intention.

And the visual transition doesn't mean it's being redone either- Obi-Wan will have already removed a lot of his armor from Volume 1 in this show, a step towards his totally armorless ROTS design.

12. Willy-Wonka-nobi

Feb 6, 2004
    You are right, we don't know for certain. But I have to disagree with that last part. Lucas doesn't have the best track record. He goes against continuity if it suits his purposes. There are a lot of examples. A lot have already been mentioned by me and others.

Unfortunately it is the nature of STAR WARS EU. Lucas always reserves the right to change it. And I believe this show will take precedence over any other EU source. That doesn't mean I am not excited. And you may be right, it may be fine. They could work with the existing continuity... but I still have a bad feeling about this.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, he does go against continuity when it serves his purposes, but it's usually smaller details or things concerning a specific character- there haven't been any instances where he's gone against/overwrote/discarded an entire source/series like some suggest he'll do with the micro-series.

It's likely we'll see some overlap or some adapted scenes, but I doubt they're gonna waste screentime re-adapting the same story they've already told.

14. Willy-Wonka-nobi

Feb 6, 2004
    Yeah, we see eye to eye there. It will most likely be small things.

The only thing I could see being pseudo-monumental as part of the continuity debate is when Anakin beomes a Knight. When did he become a Jedi Knight? Early on in the war as suggested by the micro-series, or 6 months before ROTS like Jedi Trial claims...

this is already a continuity problem that exists between the micro-series and the other existing EU content... they can't both be right, so which one is it?

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not a conflict- the scene in the Micro-series is set 6 months before ROTS. There's a jump ahead in time between the end of the Hypori battle and the scenes on Coruscant leading up to his knighting.

16. MN_JEDI

MN_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 22, 2003
    Glad to see this conversation going more in both directions now. Based on Lucas' quotes regarding the series and the shere size of it (apparently 100 eps) I really think it will cover the majority of the Clone Wars timeline and all major events therein. And as willy wonka said, I think it will be given presedence over existing EU if there are any contradictions. And it should because Lucas is overseeing the story and all complaints about him aside, he is THE source for SW. Didn't we hear from some at the OS that there will be a new canon level for the TV series?

I don't think there will be huge changes to the existing EU, but there will most likely be changes regardless. The reason why it doesn't bother me personally is because the new series looks great and is striving for some sense of (SW movie[face_mischief]) realism, I don't read SW books and I thought the CW cartoons were kinda cool but nothing I will miss if they are `redone` if that's the case. They were too OTT.

Also, I agree with sith rising that I want to see Grevious as a slimy, sneaky villain as he was in ROTS. I liked him that way. Some people where let down by this because of the CW cartoon's portrayal of him which was OTT to begin with. Lucas said he wanted him to be strong but not super powerful so he wouldn't appear more powerful than the other villains. He also used the word `cowardly` to describe him as did Mace in ROTS.

Basically I'm pretty pumped. We got two SW TV shows coming out. Not to mention great next-gen games likes TFU, BF3 and probably KOTR sometime. It's a good time to be fan.:) Besides more movies, what more could we ask for? Oh yeah...a loaded saga box set!

17. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    The 100 eps comment is in regard to the live action series, not the Clone Wars series.

18. MN_JEDI

MN_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 22, 2003
    From the TV and radio festival:
    "He said he would produce 100 episodes of the animated ?Clone Wars? series, ?then make a deal to show them."

For what it's worth wookiepedia also says that 100 are expected and lists the new series as "T" cannon.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The LFL continuity keeper revealed he created a "T canon" category label for info on the new Tv shows- though we don't know if that's for "TV" or "temporary", as his phrasing indicates it could be a temporary thing until the new shows' relationship with the other canon content is better established, nor do we know where it falls presently on the canon scale (as there are past SW projects that have had input from Lucas which is still classified as "C canon").

But that whole scale is mostly for internal reference by LFL, so it doesn't affect things too much beyond those of us whose like to stick our nose into the goings on behind the scenes ;)

20. Willy-Wonka-nobi

Feb 6, 2004
    I don't think so. Is there an official document to show that jump in time? Nothing in the episode seems to indicate it. I just watched it. The scene at the council and all the scenes on Coruscant following seem to take place immediately following the battle. Ki-Adi-Mundi is clearly talking about grievous besting him at the Battle of Hypori. Why would he bring up something that happened over two years ago? That is the reason why they Knight Anakin early. They needed more knights with the emerging threat of Grievous.

The jump in time seems to happen AFTER he is Knighted. Here is the link for wookieepedia for what its worth. Apparently, this is still an area of dispute.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Clone_Wars_Micro-Series#Continuity_issues

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Micro-series doesn't label it's time jumps (and, sometimes, even jumps back and forth), given it's brief format. Dating sometimes is established after the fact in other sources. It's why Dooku finding Asajj is set a few months earlier than the rest of Volume 1, for example, or the Nelvaan scenes actually preceeding the battle of Coruscant, despite being intercut with it in Volume 2. Essentially allowances to the medium. Likewise, Anakin's knighting was established as being approx 30 months ABG, so that scene in the microseries is set 30 months ABG, though some dialogue is present to better integrate it into the rest of the Micro-series as an allowance of the medium- much like how a comic referencing events in a novel would have lines of exposition included for comic-only readers (same reason why Asajj is "killed" in Volume 1, as a matter of fact- the Micro-Series had to be able to stand alone).

I also wouldn't take the entry on wookieepedia at face value (though I'll correct it momentarily ;) )- Leland Chee (the aforementioned LFL continuity guy) specifically said these were the same events. And to those nitpicking Anakin's hair length in the scene who don't accept the stylized aspects of the animation, he offered up the explaination that it was in fact simply wrapped up in an unseen top knot of some kind, though I don't think it's really necessary to take things that literal.

EDIT- Here's the info in question: http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jspa?threadID=196444&start=105

When does Chapter 21 take place?
    The first scene takes place immediately after Volume 1, 4 months after the Battle of Geonosis.

Two years pass during the Anakin and Qui-Gon vision/dream segment on Dagobah.

The Jedi Council scene takes place 6 months before Ep3, after Mace and Yoda had privately decided to make Anakin a Knight in Jedi Trial and after Obi-Wan and Anakin return to Coruscant following the events of Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. Anakin's Knight ceremony takes place shortly after.

How long did it take for Anakin to grow out his hair?
    Not long at all. As seen with both Obi-Wan and Anakin in the films, Padawans wear their hair in a top-knot. When Anakin becomes a Knight, he unties the top-knot.

22. Willy-Wonka-nobi

Feb 6, 2004
    Sweet! That actually makes me feel better... You rock The2ndQuest! I will sleep a little better tonight. And I feel good helping to contribute to wookieepedia! I saw the newly **ited microseries page! [face_laugh]

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  24. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Hey, how about throwing some love my way!O:)

Mind you, we all love The2nd.[face_love]

25. Willy-Wonka-nobi

Feb 6, 2004
    if Anakin has only been a Knight for around 6 months... that makes him seem even more pretentious in ROTS. He has been a Knight for less than a year and already thinks he deserves to be a Master! lol...

I wonder if they will take creative license with Anakin's hair for the series. In the trailer and the image released, it seems that they are only covering a period after his Knighthood if you go by his look. But six months isn't very much time for a 100 episode series. What do you guys think... will they fudge on anakin's hairstyle just so they can make him look cooler for the series?

One clue might be that they said Obi-wan would slowly de-armor and the clones would move to phase 2 armor. So maybe the images in the trailer just deal with one period of time from the series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.