main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Clone Wars 3D movie/series and how it affects your view of the PT

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Right, cause that makes so much sense. Lets get him used to being unattached to people by attaching him to a person. My enthusiasm is waning. I was really hoping that they would do something with giving Anakin a Padawan, but this is just lazy writing.

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Why is it lazy writing? It's in a brief video where the director talks about why they gave Anakin a Padawan.

3. purpilian

purpilian Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2005
    Although I respect Lucas' ability to do what he wants, I wish he could respect the EU to a degree. I am fine with the whole Ashoka thing, but I hope we dont wind up throwing out whole novel plots just so a tv episode can be exciting. With all the Jedi and all the battles, you think they could avoid eradicating years of novels and stories. Hopefully we live through this.

Imagine all the work that will have to be done on the Wook. Ugh.

-purpilian

4. zombie

Aug 4, 1999
    Because it makes absolutely no sense. No thought has gone into it, theres just some tacked-on bit about "attachment" that gets thrown around every time Yoda opens his mouth, but it doesn't even make sense. If you are going to make a gigantic retcon like that you have to give it motivation thats believable, or at least has a logical coherancy to it.

5. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    The easiest way to avoid massive retcon is to avoid the EU. That's what I've done. lol

Like the MST3K song said, it's just a TV show, there's no need for anyone to get bent out of shape over it. The point is to have fun.

If they weren't going to show us new things about the characters which we didn't already know, then what's the point of the show? I want to hear Obi Wan making loose wire jokes as much as the next guy, but I also want to find out more about him. Fans want it both ways and Boba Fett is the perfect example. Yeah, people loved the character ever since the early 80's, but when you beg for more and you get it, I don't think there's much room to complain when things aren't what you expected/ hoped they would be.

6. zombie

Aug 4, 1999
    Well, I don't know if thats fair, fans didn't really get Boba Fett, they got kind of a Muppet Baby version of him.

7. DARTH-SMELLY-FEET

DARTH-SMELLY-FEET Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2007
    I heard they give Anakin a Padawan learner so he could learn to not become attached to people.

That really is the dumbest **** thing I've ever heard. Who's writing this movie anyway? Wait let me guess.o_O.

8. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Why is it dumb to give someone a padawan in order to teach them not to become attached to things? It is common practice in certain groups to make someone really attached to something, and then order them to abandon or kill it in order to prove their loyalty.

Also for those who say "ZOMG why is the council worrying about attachment issues do they know whats happening in Eppy3 or something!?!!?!1!!" look back at episode one and the way the council is worried about Anakin being worried about leaving his mother, and then think about the fact that the council would have had to have found out about what Anakin was doing galavanting off to Tattooine in AOTC, of course they would be worried about him having attachment issues.

9. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I SAW YOUR UNMODIFIED POST DARTH SMELLY FEET, THANKS FOR SAYING WHAT U FEEL IS RIGHT.
    (and I appreciate your support)

THIS THREAD BELONGS BACK IN THE PT FORUM WHERE IT WAS STARTED, BECAUSE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ANAKIN'S CHARACTER PROGRESSION AND THAT HAPPENS IN BETWEEN EPISODES II AND III...

AS THE CREATOR OF THE TOPIC,
    I WANT IT LOCKED IF IT IS NOT RELOCATED BACK.

10. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Anakin's attachment issues are being dealt with; or if you prefer, being explored in the animated movie, and that SHOULD have been accomplished during the prequel trilogy! They aren't marketing the Clone Wars, as much as they are touting Anakin's new apprentice and whatever that brings.

I firmly believe that showing Anakin's development; or lack thereof, was inherent to the Episodes II and III, not some 'after the fact' animated Movie project.

11. WookieeWarrior9

Jun 5, 2007
    So isn't that a good thing that it's being dealt with now?

12. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    Anakin's attachment issues were dealt with plenty in AOTC and ROTS. That's basically all we got of him. I'm looking for the show to emphasize his friendship with Obi-Wan. The only bit of that we got was the beginning scenes of ROTS, which are honestly the most fun parts of the PT, IMO.

13. zombie

Aug 4, 1999
    I very much agree.

14. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    No. It belonged in the PT movies, not some add-on to the saga.

"You must train yourself to let go..."
    I'd hardly call one scene that addresses the issue, plenty.

Besides; based on dialogue, Kenobi wasn't all that concerned with Anakin's unhealthy attachments...

he voiced his concern about Anakin's arrogance.

Wasn't that the REAL purpose of the PREQUEL TRILOGY, to tell us Darth Vader's backstory?
    Or do I need to pull-out those old Lucas quotes?;)

15. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    TPM dealt with Anakin missing his mother, a main subplot os AOTC was him worrying over her fate then disobeying the Jedi to go find her, and his attachment to Padme is why he falls in ROTS because he cannot let go. Just because the Jedi aren't talking about it all the time doesn't mean it hasn't been fully explored. We know they were concerned. And I agree, Eps. I and II really botched Anakin and Ben's friendship.

16. Berkyjay

Berkyjay Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2007
    Wow....really? I mean honestly the way this is playing out couldn't make any more sense to me. I really can't believe how people hold on so tightly to how they see the story in their heads. Maybe you should take a lesson from Anakin and learn to let go a little. I have learned to love Star Wars by havinf a very diffuse view of everything that goes on. Because if you look at it too closely everything will start breaking down on you because there are just so many cooks in the kitchen.

17. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I wasn't counting TPM since the Clone Wars movie is between II and III. And yes, it was botched in the first two films. In iII, they were great.

18. WookieeWarrior9

Jun 5, 2007
    So true. I think George is pretty happy the way it all turned out, and Star Wars is his, after all. I'm sure if he wanted our input, he would've asked.

19. zombie

Aug 4, 1999
    Its not that it deviates from what I thought they would do, its that it makes no sense.

The mentor-padawan teaming is an intensely personal relationship that brings people together, a deeply spiritually satisfying and emotionally involving experience, as Obi Wan says Anakin is "like my brother" and Anakin says "you're the closest thing I've had to a father." Not every master-padawan relationship is necessarily exactly like this but ideally they are, its sort of the whole concept behind pairing up a student with a master. So if you are trying to teach someone to let go of things, to be more casual towards relationships and possessiveness, why would you put them into an intimate personal relationship with someone else?? Not only that, a personal relationship in which they are the authority figure, hence all the more reason to encourage possessiveness, etc. It was bad enough that, given how the Jedi council viewed Anakin, they would think he would be able to train others.
    Not only that, if he hasn't yet mastered the Jedi code (possessiveness) why would you give him a student?? Thats a position of enormous responsibility, enormous. They are trying to teach Anakin by allowing him to mould someone even more vulnerable than him? It just makes no sense. Everything is the complete opposite of logic, its like bizaro-land. If this is indicative of the writing the rest of the series is going to get--which is not that crazy a presupposition--then the ships gone down before it even left the harbor.

20. WookieeWarrior9

Jun 5, 2007
    There's a saying that teachers often learn more than their students. Perhaps they were hoping that Anakin would see in himself what he was trying to teach Ahsoka about Jedi qualities. It makes plenty of sense to me. Even though he wasn't a master, he was still on the council, which means he was one of the top Jedi. It would make sense to give him a padawan before they give some master that's not on the council.

21. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Apologies to those who consider this off topic, but the placement of this thread on this board IMO is off topic for reasons I state below. I don't intend to 'throw stones' with what follows. In fact, I humbly post a recommendation for the mods at the end of this post to try and resolve this debate. And with that disclaimer . . . .

What becomes increasing evident as I read these proceedings is that the mods have 'A' view of what is and is not EU, one that is both highly contentious and does not appear to conform with Lucas' own views on what is and is not canon.

Sx3 definitely gets it. This thread is dead on target, addressing the morphing nature of what is/was PT generated canon via a theatrically released animated 3D MOVIE that chronologically precedes the new animated TV series. How will Lucas' direct involvement in this 'tweener' animated film affect our views of what was once confined only to a six part live action film universe? How indeed. We could use an entire new board to discuss this topic.

The Clone Wars animated big screen film is a Lucas headed big screen movie effort -- by default not EU. Yet the mods 'generally' remain entrenched in what is obviously outdated paradigm for 'official' canon, one which fits only an old 'six part' live action movie/screen play/novel paradigm. Whether real or imagined, to me this became glaringly evident when, after moving Sx3's thread to this board, the entire board name was changed to retro-conform to the predominantly outmoded views of the majority of the mods. The resultant confusion over the move and the controversy it has generated indicates that either the rationale for the move was either flawed or not satisfactorily explained -- perhaps both.

My recommendation? This tread could well be moved to a brand new board placed under Star Wars Films and LucasFilm Projects, as that is what the animated movie and resultant series actually are (although as Sx3 notes above, his original title did not address the series -- this was added without his approval by the mods).

Since the 3D film, animated series and live action series all are Lucas led, they are not EU and are obviously LucasFilm (or more accurately, Lucas) projects. As such, we are really discussing aspects of George Lucas led efforts, i.e., official SW canon -- not EU.

?There are two worlds here . . . there?s my world, which is the movies, and there?s this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe ? the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. . . I don?t get too involved in the parallel universe."

- George Lucas, July 2002 - Cinescape Magazine

'When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions."

- George Lucas, August 2005 - Starlog Magazine

[face_peace]

22. _ThatJediScum_

_ThatJediScum_ Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm extremely excited about this new movie and no I don't think it will change how I see the PT in any negative way. I'm a Star Wars fan so any new Star Wars is always good. Especially from the Clone Wars/PT era.

I was a little taken back by Anakin getting a Padawan but having seen the explanation as to why he gets one, I do think is adds more to Anakin's character in ROTS. I think that if he does loose Ahsoka during the Clone Wars, Anakin's dream about Padme dying and possibly losing another person in his life he cares about, will re-enforce Anakin's desperation for the power to stop someone from dying and his subsequent fall to the darkside. Anakin actually being someone's Master yet being denied the title adds more meaning. The Council's high handedness in ordering Anakin to spy on Palpatine is reflected in the Council assigning Anakin a Padawan not of his own choosing. I think a lot of the themes in the PT are going to be re-enforced in the new movie and the series.

bran

23. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    Same. They were/are my primary interest in the PT, and I was a little upset that their relationship/friendship wasn't fully explored to the degree it could have been and was pretty much put on the sidelines :\, and not even a tiny bit was shown in TPM. So for me, this is a chance to make up for that and I'm excited. :D

So in actuality here, this will enhance the PT for me.

24. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    That is EXACTLY why this thread belongs in the PT FORUM.
    [image=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z274/EyeBashBadWriting/LatestCWImage.jpg]
    [image=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z274/EyeBashBadWriting/PT_Image.jpg]
    This isn't about the Clones, its about the character progression that should have taken place in the PT films, not in a post-script cartoon to the saga.

25. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.