main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Clone Wars Adventures - Now Live!

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by GGrievous, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Ok clearly you're as stubborn as you are illogical, so I'm just going to back out of this conversation because it's not getting anywhere.

2. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    Alexrd may have a problem with continueing arguments but he isn't wrong.

This game has actually been pretty successful. It will stay like that so long as there are updates every week.
    The problem is their servers. I'm having a problem with it right now. :mad:

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm sorry?

4. majorlynch

majorlynch Jedi Master star 1

Apr 7, 2010
    Clone Wars adventures isn't an MMO?

Well anyone who wants to clarify that enough should edit wookiepedia which lists it as Genre: MMO and wikipedia which states its a massively multiplayer online adventure game.

Clone Wars Adventures Wiki
    Clone Wars Adventures wookie

Most not be much of a distinction if star wars fans writing these articles don't take it into account.

o_O

5. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    It is an MMO. You play online with millions of people, you can pay-to-play, it is an MMO. It's just not an MMORPG. I pay monthly for the game, and love it.

I picked up two CWA game card from my Walmart for Station Cash, since I don't want to add any more to my credit card, and the Cody armor.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It's an HUB World. The game staff and Community Manager have already said that it's not an MMO and was never marketed as such. The problem is some press adressed it as such. And since when Wikipedia is considered the ultimate truth?

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Alexrd: I had never heard of a "HUB world" before you mentioned it here, and I looked it up. You're definitely right in that the game is a "HUB world" by the definitions I've seen on a few webpages. However, I cannot find a case where "HUB world" and "MMO" are differentiated when the game's online - in fact, it seems if a HUB world is online with many different players, sites are calling them MMOs.

Is there actually a difference when it's online? :confused:

8. majorlynch

Apr 7, 2010
    Searched for "Clone Wars Adventures MMO" gets loads of links.
    "Clone Wars Adventures Hub World" gets 4, included the link to this page.

Do you use Latin names for plants and animals? They may be technically true but no-one uses them.

Also, when the star wars fans who write wiki and wookie articles say its an MMO and you say its a "Hub World", I think I'll side with the fans.
    If your point matters to you register for accounts and "correct" the pages, and back up your point.
    Otherwise its just nitpicking. Sorry, MORE nitpicking.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What's that suppose to mean? Didn't I mention that the game staff has explained that the press adressed the game as an MMO even though they already said it's not one?

Is that supposed to be a comparison?

When the game staff and community manager say it's an HUB World and not an MMO, I think I'll side with them. They made the game, they should know what it's the best definition.

It's not nitpicking, it's clarification. If you wan't to believe it's an MMO (where's the massive part of the game?) and keep comparing it with other true MMO, then it's not my problem.

10. majorlynch

Apr 7, 2010
    Alexrd, the fact is the company don't CARE if people call it an MMO. There are two wiki pages that could be changed in minutes if they did. Thousands of pages and blog entries call this an MMO, YOU and some obsure press release I can't even find say it isn't.

And if I put in "Clone Wars Adventures NOT an MMO" I don't see any announcement from them, cause they don't care.

The reality is if they wanted it called Star Wars Clone Wars HUB WORLD. Most of its potential customers wouldn't know that that meant. And their marketing people who wanted to call it that would be fired.

So they don't care, and YOU care somewhere between "repeatedly making the same point" and "not caring enough to change it on a wiki page".

If the company doesn't care, seems the only one who does have "a problem" with MMO or HUB WORLD is you.

Enjoy those nits.

11. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Drama!

Ok, before we all suffer fits of dire rage over this semantic issue, how about this: Alexrd, where was there an official announcement that the Clone Wars Adventures is not an MMO? I know it's a HUB world - you're right in that regard. But I think it's still technically an MMO.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The press release of the game doesn't say it's an MMO, IIRC.

Why should I change a Wiki page? People should inform themselves about the game itself before making comparisons with true MMO's. They are the ones who will be dissapointed by doing so, not me.

The company cares enough to not define the game as an MMO and to explain it in the official forums. Do you think I care if it's called one or the other? I have bigger problems in my life. But you too seem to care about these "nits", isn't that so? Anyway, don't use fallacies to make a point.

You can read it on the SOE forums. The Community Manager has explained that the game doesn't fit in the MMO category, and it was the press who defined the game as such.

Here's what the community manager said about that:

This is just one example. There are other comments from the dev team that said the same.

A "virtual world" is the proper definition, I'd say.

13. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Ah, ok - so the term "massive" is in contention. I don't see how they didn't expect it to get massive with a million kids (and kids at heart) interested in the Clone Wars, but I guess in comparison to WoW, it isn't.

It basically comes down to how you choose to define "MMO." It clearly has everything an MMO has, only maybe slightly less massive, and it seems the project team doesn't want to use that term. Odd.

14. Guy-Gone_Weird

Guy-Gone_Weird Jedi Master star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    Just FYI to anyone playing this game, we've started up a complete TCW Expanded Media Chronology thread in the Literature forum to try to make sense of the TCW EU events relative to the ever-changing episode order. We're looking for info from CW Adventures that would fit in this chronology, if there is any, particularly original battles or events and if there's mention of when they take place relative to the episodes.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    There was a very important occurrence that took place a few days ago. It was quite horrific. The Jedi all went rogue and started making sacrificial effigies of Dooku and the Separatists out of squash.

This totally should go on the timeline.

16. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Hey, I like the shot of TCW Padme's head in that trunk. [face_mischief]

:p

17. Harpalyce

Harpalyce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 19, 2010
    I'm going to somewhat shamefully admit that I'm having way too much fun with this game, aside from the preteens chatting me up wanting to know if I need a boyfriend. I think it's an MMO in the same vein as, say, Puzzle Pirates. But if others are playing, feel free to add me - the name on there is Delias Harpalyce.

18. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    lol, pretty much the same here. I like chatting with pre teens though. Its nice to know that they can be more child instead of teen.
    "Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is."-Yoda

I love the different creations I can make to my character. I just recently bought a Z-6 Cannon! :D Badass!

I'm Fistofan Bluedude by the way...

19. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    "Cats and dogs, living together!"

20. Dreamer_Sith

Dreamer_Sith Jedi Knight

Dec 9, 2010
    So I was just thinking about playing this game for free, and want to know if it is worth it. Like I may upgrade if I do start playing it, but is it pretty decent on its own? How does the battle system work? Is it like, say, WoW, or like Phantasy Star Online (if anyone even remembers that.)