main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CLONE WARS Animated Series on CARTOON NETWORK!!!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by dolphin, Nov 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    This belongs in the Lucasfilm Projects board because it will be a Lucasfilm project.

A source that Harry absolutely trusts dropped this bomb!! If true, it will shake the foundations of SW fandom!

source

CLONE WARS Animated Series on CARTOON NETWORK!!!
    Hey folks, Harry here... As always my spies in Lucasfilm, well... pretty much they kickass. I love em, because as always they provide me with the ability to see and hear things far before the average person. So much so at times that the news seems made up, but in reality... It's just out there waiting for the rotation of the earth to pass round the sun enough times to catch up to the news.
    This came from a source that I ABSOLUTELY TRUST, he/she/it has been providing news to AICN for years out of Lucasfilm - and he/she/it doesn't drop the ball. I'm told that very very few people know the following bit of info, so getting confirmation on it will most likely be a bitch, but since this sort doesn't tickle the jewels without following through, I'm going with it.
    There have been top secret meetings between Lucasfilm and Cartoon Network, and they are in ADVANCE DISCUSSIONS to do an immense animated series called CLONE WARS. The time frame is still being discussed as either starting the year before Episode 3 hits theaters, or the Summer of Episode 3. Lucas is negotiating for a huge 50-60 episode order!!!
    I just hope that they get smart and get some of the talent that worked on DROIDS a billion years ago that has evolved into somebody super great at the Animated Series... How cool would it be if they brought on Paul Dini to be a Writer/Producer for this? Can you imagine? Ok, that's me being a fanboy, but dammit, nobody writes better toons on TV! NOBODY! This news will most likely be denied till Lucasfilm and Cartoon Network are ready to Announce, but you heard it here first!

[color=indigo] This thread is (or has become) too "star wars" for this particular board. If the project is greenlighted, I will consider reopening this to discuss the ILM involvement.

To continue discussing the "Clone Wars TV show", please refer to this thread in [i]Literature[/i]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10169466] Clone Wars editorial [/link]

[hr]21-Feb-03. Reopening this on a trial basis. I'm still uncomfortable that it's undoubtably a "Star Wars" topic. However we do allow Star Wars discussion when it centres on the ILM or Skywalker sound involvement etc.

I'm willing to give this thread another go, so long as it centres on the [i]non-Star Wars plot[/i] aspects, such as production values, animation techniques etc. :)

[hr]

24-Feb 03

OK, now that we have a dedicated forum for this discussion, I will defer all future Clone Wars threads / discussion to this place;

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/board.asp?brd=10467] Small Screen Star Wars [/link]

Please continue this thread in the new forum. Thanks. :)

[/color]

2. TigerClaw

TigerClaw Jedi Master star 1

Oct 30, 2001
    This will be the next best thing to a Star Wars series. :)

3. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!

I'm assuming it'll be considered canon.

4. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    It could also go a long way toward clearing up loose ends.

It could explain how Anakin wasn't present during Padme's delivery.

I hope the film doesn't resemble the boba fett cartoon

I also hope it doesn't cover too much of Anakin's downfall, I'd like Episode III to do that.

5. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    If that's true, it's definately going to be HUGE news. I mean, a SW TV series? My gawd!

However, I'll wait till we have confirmation before I start getting any thoughts together

6. LandosFolly

LandosFolly Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2002
    You think YOUR excited?
    Just check out these nipples!

However, chances are it will be based on generic characters involved in generic plots outside the realm of the films. They'll probably introduce a couple new Jedi and throw in a PloKoon or something. But, hey, It's a step in the right direction! THERE WILL BE LIFE AFTER EPIII!

7. Darth_Prozac

Darth_Prozac Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    I'm betting it will be CGI and based around some background Jedi. Ki Adi Mundi, Plo Koon, or Kit Fisto or somebody.

I think Landosfolly is probably right.
    Personally I'd rather see a live action series based on Rogue Squadron. fat chance.

8. Mr_Anderson

Mr_Anderson Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2002
    I actually hope this series isn't CG at all, at least not like the CG in the movies. This series needs to have a look that separates it from the movies. You know how on "Futurama" they sometimes show cool 3D models of spaceships, that still manage to look animated? That's the look this series needs to have.

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The techique you mention (Futurama) is known as cell-shading.

Personally, I've been impressed with the fully CG "cartoons" like Starship Troopers, and would prefer this style, if only to make the space / vehicular combat scenes look as "real" as possible.

An I realise TFn has confirmed the AICN story, however I'm not getting too excited until I see an announcement on the Official Site.

10. LandosFolly

LandosFolly Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2002
    TFN reports the following:

Update on Clone War Animated Series
    Thu, Nov 14, 02 07:58:21 PM EST

You may have seen the report on AICN about an animated series based on the Clone Wars being in the works between Lucasfilm and the Cartoon Network. Our independent sources checked into this rumor and confirmed that it is, in fact, true. Our source was able to add a little bit more info to AICN's report. It turns out that Lucasfilm created a pilot episode of the series and took it to the Cartoon Network recently for a pitch meeting. Our source was not yet able to find out who created the pilot episode, find out who wrote it, or find out what the Cartoon Network's response to the meeting was.

Now we venture into our own personal speculation. If Lucasfilm created the pilot episode in-house, that would indicate it was most likely computer animated. So could we expect this Clone War series to be entirely CG? Possibly. More to come....

11. Quickstrike34

Quickstrike34 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 27, 2001
    I'm hoping for complete CGI. I love CG, I mean - if it is the same Quaiity CGI as the Balrog in FOTR, than I imagine everyone would want to see it. Even if it uses CGI like seen in AOTC, it would still be a spectacular series to watch :D

12. Darth_Prozac

Darth_Prozac Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    "...I mean - if it is the same Quaiity CGI as the Balrog in FOTR..."

This is how bashers are born. lol ;)

The CGI quality will not be that high. I think Starship Troopers is a good guage for it. It takes them more than a year to do 2 hours worth of shots of Balrog quality! The series will run around 5 hours total I would think plus it would take longer to do since it would be 100% CGI. It wouldn't even be out in time for Episode 3 if it was that realistic.

13. joebafett

joebafett Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2000
    A Clone Wars cartoon would be cool but ever since I saw the Starship Troopers cartoon, I have been hoping that Lucas would do Ep. 7-9 like that, since he doesn't want to make them as films. If this proves successful.......?

And if not Ep. 7-9, then maybe something else like a NJO cartoon series?

14. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Will someone lift my unconscious head out of the pond of drool im laying! :p

In the words of the great Eric Cartman, "Sweeeeeeet!" :D

15. Mr_Anderson

Mr_Anderson Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2002
    I've never seen the Starship Troopers cartoon, but I really hope they use cel-shading for this series. I seriously doubt that even ILM could make a CG human face look good on a TV show budget. And I personally LOVE the look of the DC cartoons (Batman, Superman, JLA) and think that style would translate very well to Star Wars. And if ILM does do the animation, then this could turn out to be one of the coolest things in the history of cool.

16. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  17. Traders_Luck

Traders_Luck Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2001
    i hope that we will get it here eventualy, cause i dont get the cartoon network

we got samurai jack this year :D

18. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Here's the latest "news" from AintItCool.com ...
    The Latest on CLONE WARS Animated Series!!!
    Hey folks, Harry here. Today I was contacted by a source inside the Cartoon Network that said it was about time I figured out they were doing something with Lucas and STAR WARS. It seems that they are not in advance talks for the CLONE WARS, they've signed the deal. It's done. Complete... A Sure Thing.

The format will be serialized shorts to keep with the Star Wars Serial motif. These will not be half hour adventures, but more in the line of short films. These animated shorts will play in between two regular half hour cartoons in a fixed slot.

Genndy Tartakovsky (Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack) will produce - and the early development designs have evidently been pretty close to SAMURAI JACK in style, thus far, but currently they are in the middle of a whole new set of designs, so my source at the Cartoon Network isn't sure exactly how it'll come out, just the path they've been on thus far.

I'll stay on this series like mayo on peanut butter!

I don't know what Samurai Jack is (yet), but Dexter's Lab is pretty hopeless and Powerpuff Girls is utter rubbish! This cartoon is beginning to look like it will be a disaster. :(

19. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, a Producer doesn't necessarily have a hands-on role in the creative, design or script of a show.

But this guy, Genndy Tartakovsky, appears to have major input into the cartoons mentioned above.

And Samurai Jack? Click here. I can't believe this is close to the style LucasFilm is hoping to achieve. Maybe the stills don't do it justice...

20. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

I'll believe it when I see it, or when Lucasfilm officially announces this. As everyone here knows, much of what you read on the Internet is made-up crap....Not saying that's the case here, but until/unless there's official corroboration, I'm treating this as a rumor.

21. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    YEah exactly, lest not forget the rumor at AICN and other places that 40% of Phantom Menace was blurry and had to be reshot.

Samurai Jack? Well it could work, maybe they are going for a retro look. It works pretty well in Kim Possible.

22. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

> And Samurai Jack? Click here. I can't believe this is close to the style LucasFilm is hoping to achieve. Maybe the stills don't do it justice...

Yep, that looks like the same hopeless "cartoon" (for want of a better word) as the other two examples. They're nowhere near what most Star Wars fans are going to be expecting. :(

23. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I'm glad that Lucas is making use of Star Wars on television. He should do this more often; I think there is a huge market to tap into on regular TV.

24. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    The format will be serialized shorts to keep with the Star Wars Serial motif. These will not be half hour adventures, but more in the line of short films. These animated shorts will play in between two regular half hour cartoons in a fixed slot.

Eh?????????????

25. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I assume that means that the story/stories will continue over several episodes or the whole season. Each episode is not a stand-alone story, but part of a bigger framework.

Actually, on 2nd reading maybe we're talking 5 minute long "programs" here? Little fillers, so to speak.

Strange...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.