main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CLONE WARS Animated Series on CARTOON NETWORK!!!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by dolphin, Nov 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

Yep, it sounds like 5-10min fillers between the real cartoons ... makes it a waste of time really. May as well do what someone else suggested and wait for the DVD and/or Internet downloads to appear and watch them all in one go. This Star Wars cartoon idea is getting worse by the minute. :(

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Let's not get too discouraged while this is firmly in the "rumour" stage.

For all we know the 5 minute shorts being produced are like screen tests to trial various animation techniques & styles.

3. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Actually in Europe that is common. You sometimes get little films, cartoons and shorts between programs. The best example I remember are The Insectors, from France, simply hilarious. I think each episode is like 10 min. long:

Insektors
    Insektors

If it's true it'll probably be good, maybe make more North Americans more opens to alternate forms of animated series.

4. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    I don't know what Samurai Jack is (yet), but Dexter's Lab is pretty hopeless and Powerpuff Girls is utter rubbish! This cartoon is beginning to look like it will be a disaster.

Granted, you're welcome to your own opinion, but I think those shows are fantastic, and I love the look of Samurai Jack.

I think you guys may have too high expectations, it is going to be a cartoon, on Cartoon Network. :D

5. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    As much as I like PPG, I really hope that Clone Wars is more in the style of Starship Troopers. (IMHO, one of the best animated series in a long ime)

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The animated starship troopers was pretty cool...

7. T_H_X_SKYWALKER

T_H_X_SKYWALKER Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2002
    Any news on CW?

8. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Starship troopers was a great cartoon show. It was more in the spirit of the book. . .it was a hundred times better that the stupid movie.

A CW series like that, dark and gritty, would be awesome.

See you Space Cowboy. . .

9. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Here is my rendition of a Tartovosky-Aayla Secura:
    [image=http://temoto.co.uk/aayla/pics/fanart44.jpg]

and her Master, Quinlan Vos
    [image=http://temoto.co.uk/aayla/pics/fanart43.jpg]

The final look of the series may not resemble Samurai Jack at all but I still hope Lucasfilm/Cartoon Network keep the epic-feel and cool action sequences? :p

10. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Sorry, I meant Tartakovsky! Sorry Genndy...

11. StormTrooper_Com

StormTrooper_Com Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2002
    All we can do with this ***Rumor*** is cross our fingers and hope (or just use the Force).

O yea i hope they show the Clone troopers armour being updated to storm troopers but I'll wait for EP-III to come out hehehe...

12. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

[i]Unfortunately, everyone here is talking about the Clone War series in the past tense. As in, not going to happen. The project was going to be expansive - the Cartoon Network wanted some of a toy line and merchandising based on the new sub-franchise themselves, and Six Flags even wanted to make rides centered on them. This was going to be a huge operation, possibly as big as the movies themselves. "Event animation," not some cheap cartoon.
    All that exists in all actuality is some concept art floating around offline and a short pilot type of episode - really at best described as a story demo reel that looks alot like Tartakovsky's stuff. Character elements look somewhat handdrawn, but it is completely CGI and very few people have been priviy enough to see it. And the now defunct Feature Films Division at ILM (Frankenstein) are responsible for the project so far, which is going to also pose a problem since they no longer exist, being disbanded months before this took off. But the bottom line is that everyone on this end really wants to do it - but wants more that Lucasfilm will offer. As always, it seems to have boiled down to money unless someone blinks first. [/i]
    [link=http://www.theforce.net/episode2/index.shtml#18929]Click[/link][hr][/blockquote]

*sigh*

13. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Well that report is kinda innacurate. The digital features division (which also did Work in Progress) was kinda disbanded but recently ILM has ramped it up again. There was news not long ago that said said ILm would soon announce their first CG feature film.

Then again I was never really convinced about the cartoon thing.

14. Only-One-Canoli

Only-One-Canoli Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2002
    That Would Be Cool Aslong As It's Not Stupid Like The Droids Or Ewoks Shows

15. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I think it'll be more along the lines of the anime toonpics and the xmen cartoon.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. PurpleDrake

PurpleDrake Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2002
    I just hope they don't go all manga i mean its a cool style but lets keep the clone wars CGI man not cartoon. It has it has place and this aint it!

Be cool to see some new world even a documentary 'a clone, behind the mask' that'd be cool phrazes like yeah my dad never talk to me so i got alot of anger and how they always felt the same as a kid, even what it was like growing up so fast i mean dang what a pain puberty must of been!

Clone series I sure hope so if not ill just animate my own! ;)

17. bluebereft

bluebereft Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2002
    my gosh... NO! NO! and NO!

It will take all the spirit out of Star Wars.

18. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    He is right. I hope to never see a clone trooper with his uniform but not helmet.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    I am watching Fox Kids' Fun Box Saturday "Stargate Infinity" animated series right now and think the animation style in it would be great for Clone Wars or any other Star Wars cartoon project. Its a bit in the style of Jackie Chan Adventures and looks to have a Jeff Matsuda( former Image Comics artist)style and typical original Fox-anime like toons, not the adapted Japanime works. Lots of camera panning and zoom in and out stuff: great for battle scenes. I know I would do SW in this style. I'm not a big SG fan nor do I watch cartoons this early on a Saturday(i'm 30)but I'm hooked!

20. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    I've never seen that cartoon. :(

Okay I know this might be impossible to tell but does anybody have a clue on the release date? What exactly will take place-just endless episodes of Clone War battles? Does anybody have a idea on whats going to be made up in the show?

I know these are difficult knowing it is in the early stage still.

21. PurpleDrake

PurpleDrake Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2002
    Jackie Chan adventures is cool in its quirky way but you just expect that much more from a star wars series. Because it already has such a heavy style of its own/symbolism, the triangular shapes of the empire,all in grey and the colour full costumes of the republic. Might be a good idea to get Micheal Stakepole or Timothy Zahn to write some scripts, there short stories are quite god.

I must admit a bit of stylisation is only natural and certainly ultra-realism (like the film) just doesn't work on t.v. Note Computer animated series starship troopers, just doesn't work well in my opinion to much empahsis on making it look like the film!

Having said that I haven't seen the star gate animated series unless you mean Stargate SG1 which is quite good.

22. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    I've only seen that one episode of Stargate Infinity and none of the characters look like the ones from the movie and tv show. I don't even remember seeing a Stargate...the main characters look like fugitives being chased around some baddies...there is no "Egytpian-style" look here...all sci-fi looking stuff. IMHO, the laserblasts and explosions could be better animated but I like the overall toon.
    As for SG/SG-SGS1...its all cool and all BUT I still gotta prob with Air Force pukes with Spec Ops assault gear and rifles...the SGS-1 team is made up of sci-tech geeks ,right? And Kurt Russel's/Dean Anderson's Col character is supposed to be what: a Security Officer with *gasp* combat experience? PLEASE!! There should be a Pararescue or PJ or ACC Air Combat Controller character for these wannabe Spec Ops to look up to. And no, forget the fancy USAF CombatWeatherman specialty: combat weather man with Special Forces training? C'mon gimme a break! Air Force pukes got WAY to much time and MONEY on thier hands to be "playing" SEAL or DELTA :D :D :p

23. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Sorry about ranting and ragging on the Air Force pukes but it just a gripe...

So, the Clone Wars is dead as in dud? Is it true about Lucasfilm and Cartoon Network not having enough dough to produce a couple of animated SHORTS? I'd hate to see the budget for full length cartoons... ;)

24. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

dolphin: I hope to never see a clone trooper with his uniform but not helmet.

Err .. there's tons of them in Episode II walking forward to collect their helmets. ;)

kampilan: I've only seen that one episode of Stargate Infinity and none of the characters look like the ones from the movie and tv show.

That's because they are totally different characters. The SG-1 TV series takes place not long after the original movie ended, but the Infinity cartoon show takes place something like 30 years after SG-1 (I forget the actual timeline) - basically it's a Stargate: The Next Generation. There's also rumors of the SG-1 crew doing a movie once the series comes to and end (possibly after this newly signed season) and another series called Stargate: Atlantis (which may or may not have been confused with the animated series). :)

25. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Thanks for the info and I think the Atlantis one sounds good. Yeah, I think of Infinity like the Highlander Animated now :p but with better animation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.