main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Det, MI Clone Wars anyone?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by CTATigger, Oct 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CTATigger

CTATigger Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2004
    Anyone watching the animated Clone Wars series? Thoughts?
    Todd and I like it! Still haven't seen the feature film. How did you all like that?

2. mercsailor

mercsailor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    I am enjoying the TV show.. the movie, however.. was slightly painful (there were good parts, though)

3. GuNgAnFaN3090

GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 16, 2008
    The show is good and so was the movie. I just think we are seeing too much Anakin and Ahsoka in it.

4. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    I'm with mercsailor on this,

especially if they keep the "roger roger" jokes up[face_laugh]

5. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    I was not blown away by the movie like I was with the six Live action Episodes. I think that the TV series and, by rights, the movie have added an additional flavor to the GFFA. I like the fact that we get to see the Clones in action. I also enjoy the fact that they are developing the individual character of some of the clones and not just using them as cannon foder.

To me the Series is more about the Clones relations to their Jedi Generals and not on the war itself.

I'm enjoying it.

6. DBrennan3333

DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    I also agree with this.

The movie was downright horrible, in my opinion, justly deserving the critical lambasting and public rejection it received. But the show, because there are different writers and directors for nearly every episode, has some really good ones (I guess my favorite has been "Lair of Grievous").

However, we've gotten into some heated arguments over at TFN's main CW thread about the plot holes, which are frequent and glaring. Furthermore, I personally have been angered by the re-writing of the clones and the total ignoring of their genetic customization which was so critically described in AOTC. But whatever. Overall, I am enjoying it and it's good to see SW in action.

(Also, I'm not a fan of much EU material at all, but I'm reading the "Coruscant Nights" series and I think it's great!)

7. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    I guess I have been sleeping through those holes and missing them. What are a few examples?

Not understanding what you meant by this either.

8. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    Just trying to cause some fun.

Isn't the Jar Jar Binks story arc, a plot hole[face_laugh]

9. DBrennan3333

DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Well, I kind of have my hands full with detailed discussions over at the main forums, but a few examples of plot holes (off the top of my head):

1. In the first episode of the "Dooku Captured" duology, Anakin was intentionally arrested....for no reason whatsoever. Obi-Wan sneaks on board the ship Anakin intentionally got imprisoned on without any assistance from Anakin. In fact, he has to go out of his way to rescue Anakin! (Although Anakin had already escaped.)

2. In the second episode of that series, Obi-Wan's lightsaber miraculously appears at the end even though he hadn't had it on his person nor had his captors ever taken possession of it.

3. In the CW movie, Obi-Wan is anticipating a Padawan, but Ahsoka arrives and says that she's Anakin's Padawan, not his. Now, there was no logical reason for Obi-Wan to have lied about this (many fans assumed that Obi-Wan was trying to dupe Anakin into taking his own Padawan, but Ahsoka immediately says that she was sent for him by the Council, and so therefore Obi-Wan had no reason to lie at all). But Obi-Wan has yet to even mention his still-M.I.A. Padawan ever again.

There are more, but, again, I'd refer you to the main CW forum for detailed discussion.

As far as the clones go, in AOTC the Kaminoans clearly describe how the clones have been genetically customized to be "docile", "totally obedient", and "less independent" than Jango Fett. Of course, their lifespan has been cut at least in half, and you'd think that this would warrant some screen-time, too. However, in the CW show, there's zero mention of any of this. Not a word. Not only is there no talk of it, the clones are not even shown to exhibit any signs of having been genetically modified.

On top of all that, in the movies the clones were shown to be (a) child-murderers, (b) clergy-killing, and (c) Nazi-like (the Clone staging scene in AOTC was intentionally modeled after the Nazi propaganda film, "Triumph of the Will" - see the book "The Art of AOTC", pg. 180.) However, in CW, they've re-written the Clone Wars from a staged scam war into WW2, and they've recast the clones as Allied soldiers. This is a 180-degree material shift from Lucas's clones in the movies.

Similarly, the Clone Wars themselves, about which ROTS said, "There are heroes on both sides. Evil is everywhere", are now just the opposite: a just and good war. Not the false flag war that they were in the movies. (Another plot hole: Palpatine never sought to sabotage the Jedi's arrest attempt in the "Dooku Captured" series, even though that arrest would have lead to his own arrest end of his massive conspiracy!)

(BTW, in the script for ROTS, there was dialogue throughout the clones' massacre of the Jedi in Order 66. One of the bits of dialogue was Commander Bly sadistically mocking Aayla as he shot her in the back. There were lots of other cut bits of dialogue similar to this. But in CW, Commander Bly is a hero!)

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/DBrennan3333/StarWars-AaylasDeath.jpg]

So these are a few of my many issues with the show. Despite all this, I'm still enjoying it and rush home every Friday evening to watch it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.