main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Clone Wars Cartoon Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Greenville, NC' started by Dal--Intrepid, Nov 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Well, I just watched the first one and enjoyed it. It's hard to really nitpick about the things one does and doesn't like in a 3-4 minute cartoon. There can only be so much moving the plot in such a short time. I guess the key point was the interaction between Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Palpatine, which was surprising to me. I won't get specific because I don't wanna post spoilers to those who haven't watched it yet. Needless to say, I am looking forward to the next one on Monday night.

2. Jedi_Master_Kel

Jedi_Master_Kel Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2002
    I'm with you Dal. They packed a lot into those 4 minutes. I'll probably watch it again and again until Monday.

Again it was pretty cool. I agree about the interaction between Palp, Yoda, Obi and Annie.

When the all come out, we'll have to get together to watch them all.

JMK

3. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    When they all come out, we'll have to get together to watch them all.

I'm with you on that. I'm taping the shows on DVCAM format to keep the digital quality, then I'm gonna burn them all to DVD. That'll at least tide me over until the official DVD release comes out.

4. UniversalDestiny

UniversalDestiny Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    It was great, I enjoyed it last night. Even though I was working at the hotel, it was slow so I caught it. I was impressed with it, very very impressed.

-UD

5. cinemafreak

cinemafreak Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2002
    I thought it sucked. I know it was to set up the story, but the voices weren't good enough. Obi-Wan's was good, Yoda was passable, but Palpatine looked and sounded like Mr. Burns. I was waiting for Darth Smithers to come out. Although there was more believable emotion shown between Padme and Anakin in the 30 seconds of the cartoon than in the 2 hours of the movie. But I look forward to the rest of the cartoons. My only questoin is, is it Canon? Its been said that it is to fill gaps between the movies. But they have a 2000 year old Mandelorian and a 2 lightsaber-weilding Sith. So much for the 1M-1A (master-apprentice) bit from EP1. But I look forward to the rest

6. tristan458

tristan458 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2003
    I thought it to be rather interesting. Looking forward to see the rest.

7. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Although there was more believable emotion shown between Padme and Anakin in the 30 seconds of the cartoon than in the 2 hours of the movie.

Amen.

Since it was the first episode, I'm being lenient in my overall criticisms of the show and just trying to get used to it. The animation style takes a bit of getting used to, but I used to watch Dexter's Lab pretty regularly, so I like it. I did like the touch of the Vader silouhette (sp?) that Anakin had as he was heading to his ship. I hope the series doesn't disintegrate into a bunch of "tales of the other Jedi." I don't care about Secura, Plo Koon, or any of those guys. I hope the focus stays on Palpatine, Yoda, Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Padme.

8. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    I really enjoyed Chapter 3 tonight. It just shows that you don't have to have dialogue to make a compelling show. It really makes the ARC troopers bad-@ss that they can communicate so well without speaking. Though there wasn't any forwarding of the main characters stories, this episode kind of reminded me of a "heist" movie and I generally like those type of movies.

9. Jedi_Master_Kel

May 13, 2002
    Arc-Troopers rule. Silent but deadly. After being a little disappointed with the second cartoon episode, I thought this did well to make up for it.

JMK

10. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Yeah, I didn't post anything about Chapter 2 because I couldn't think of anything to really say about it. It was just kind of there. Though with the cliffhanger ending, I was sure they were gonna reveal one of the new characters in Chapter 3. I was actually glad they didn't though. It would've been a waste to use these new characters against troopers.

11. Boba_Fett_of_Nine

Boba_Fett_of_Nine Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2003
    WARNING: SPOILERS ABOVE!

12. Jedi_Master_Kel

May 13, 2002
    Did anyone catch yesterdays show? I missed it. Tell me what it was about. Dal, I may need to come over and watch it sometime if that is ok with you. Have you watched Reloaded yet? What did you think?

JMK

13. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Well . . . I'm torn on yesterday's show. They did what I hoped they wouldn't do. Yesterday was the Kit Fisto story. Like I said, I really have no urge to bounce from Jedi to Jedi and see their stories. They should just save it for another anthology. That being said, I did enjoy the actual show. It took place on Mon Calamari which is inhabited by the Mon Calamari and the Quarren. The Quarren want to side with the Separatists and the Mon Calamari want to stay in the Republic, so there's another big battle and Kit Fisto is the Jedi in charge of that operation. It was another good action episode like the last one and it was interesting to learn that some Republic Cruisers can apparently land on water. They even managed to sneak in the infamous "Kit Fisto smile" at the end.

I still haven't watched Reloaded yet. It's still sitting on the piano along with the Italian Job that I still haven't watched. We're taking the kid to my sister's this weekend and my wife was planned something for my birthday this weekend (even though my birthday isn't until next week), so I'll probably be in Raleigh most of the weekend. Hopefully I'll get to watch them both Sunday evening.

14. Boba_Fett_of_Nine

Boba_Fett_of_Nine Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2003
    Reloaded SUCKED! It made no sence. It had very little continuity to the first one. It had no real direction. Its sad....the ending is horrible too. Watch it, judge for yourself, but if ure serious about movies, it sucks!

15. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    The last two chapters with Obi-Wan kicking @ss in his clonetrooper armor have been awesome! It's great to see the Obi-Wan that talked about so briefly in ANH. One more episode to go . . . for now.

16. Jedi_Master_Kel

May 13, 2002
    I missed the last two episodes, but saw yesterday's. I thought it was great. One question, what the heck kind of creature is Durge? I mean, come-on, he looked like something from the Batman cartoons.

JMK

17. spooky-kid

spooky-kid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 17, 2003
    I think it's pretty good but, I'm wondering if it shouldn't tie into the Republic comic a little better. It seems Ventress and Durge are just being introduced into the star wars story as far as the cartoon goes but, they've been in the comic story since more than a few months ago.

Don't forget friday they're gonna play all the episodes back to back. The first half at 7:30 i think and the 2nd half at 9:30 i think.

I agree that some of the voices suck. They should have had the actors do the voices.

18. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Well, I thought the final one ended on a nice cliffhanger. The space battle was good, but something you could only get away with in a cartoon. The whole "shooting across the bow of the ship" idea was actually kind of funny. Fortunately you can suspend your disbelief a little more for cartoons. Had that scenario taken place in a film, I would've likely just rolled my eyes.

I think my favorite of the first ten was Chapter 9. Obi-Wan's humor kind of won me over. I did enjoy the action in Chapters 3 & 8 also.

19. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    By the power of Greyskull . . . I bump this thread back to the front page!

Because this Friday at 9:30pm, it all begins again . . . oh wait, that was Wrestlemania, right?

Anyway, the second half of Clone Wars premieres on March 26 at 9:30pm on Cartoon Network. Then the rest of them air the following nine weekdays at 8pm. So don't be fooled and miss the first one just because it's later!

20. Jedi_Master_Kel

May 13, 2002
    Dal, you rock. Thanks for keeping up with this.

JMK

21. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    It's been a slow week in the world of video production, so I've had time to play around at home. I had shoots at the hospital and Rocky Mount postponed, so now I can waste time and prepare my camera to record the next set of shows.

22. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    So did anyone catch Chapter 11 Friday night? I almost forgot about it and ended up watching it on a little 2" LCD display on my camcorder because I was so rushed to get everything set up I ended up unplugging my satellite from the TV and plugged it right into my camcorder to record it.

*********SPOILERS*************************

Overall I quite enjoyed it. It picked right up with Anakin dogfighting with Ventress. Nice little homage to the original Star Wars (screw that ANH crap) when Anakin has Ventress targetted and says, "I have you now." Kinda cool. Obi-Wan ends up arguing with Anakin on their communicators about how Anakin should be with his flight crew and to stop chasing Ventress. Then when Obi-Wan gives Anakin a direct order to stop chasing Ventress, Anakin used the lame "You're communications are breaking up sir." and faked that he didn't understand Obi-Wan. I hated that!! I despise the use of things like that which draw me out of the "fantasy environment" I'm trying to be in when watching Star Wars and remind me of everyday things that happen to me. I fake the cell phone breaking up all the time when I'm trying to get out of things. I think it would've been much cooler if Anakin had either just openly disobeyed or not responded at all. Other than that ending, it was good dogfightin' fun!

Chapter 12 -- Bad m'fin' Jedi kickin' @ss!

23. Jedi_Master_Kel

May 13, 2002
    So Dal, that's what happens when I call you. I get it, you just don't want to talk to me...just kidding. I caught episode 11 and thought it was pretty good. I enjoyed the dogfighting, but Anakin still seems like a whimp to me. I hate all the whinning he does, although the kept it at a minimum this time. I'm glad they showed the old episodes first. I caught the last two before the new one. I just wish George would allow the Jedi to kick much butt in the movies as he does in the cartoons. Obi-Wan blocking bullets/Missle darts with his hands are awesome. We really get to see how much power the Jedi have. I know where I'll be come next week.

By the way Dal, thanks.

JMK

24. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Remember - Clone Wars cartoons will now start at 8pm for the next nine weekdays. Tonight appears to be the Mace Windu episode.

25. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    OK - I'll preface this with I actually did enjoy the last two episodes. But I have to say, the thing that bugs me (and it's happened before in the earlier shows) is the inconsistency between the cartoons and the movies in terms of just how powerful the Jedi were. If the Mace Windu that was in these last two cartoons was the same Mace Windu that was in the Geonosian Arena, then the Jedi should've easily slaughtered everyone in the arena. In the cartoon, Mace basically destroys a zillion more droids by himself than he probably actually faced on Geonosis. Anyway, that's my gripe. I know it's a cartoon and there are creative licenses to do things, so I'm not gonna dwell on it, but I had to get it off my chest. There's still some great action and I'm still enjoying the new ones. I did find the "force-removal" of the battle droids nuts and bolts scene pretty funny, then when they were used as bullet-like projectiles, I almost lost it.

On a slightly related note, I finally saw a picture of General Grievous. I stay spoiler-free, so I hadn't seen him until I got my SW Insider yesterday and he's plastered on the cover. The animated drawing of him was really cool and now I'm hoping for another wave of Animated figures because I think Grievous would make a great looking animated figure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.