main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Clone Wars Character Designs

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Blackeagle, Nov 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackeagle

Blackeagle Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2003
    Ever since the first chapter aired on Friday, I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what the Clone Wars character designs remind me of. Despite being directed by Genndy Tartakovsky, they don't really look much like Dexter's Lab or Samurai Jack.

Today, it came to me. The style of the Clone Wars characters is very close to the short-lived Clerks animated series. For those who don't remember (and considering how quickly the series got canned, that's probably most people) you can take a look at the show's old website here.

Pretty weird, considering how different the shows are.

2. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    It does resemble Clerks, but I think it resembles Jack more, especially with the way the Kibuck runs.

3. Mertroid

Mertroid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 29, 2002
    I love the design and way Clone Wars is animated! :D

4. Hades2021

Hades2021 Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2003
  5. Chancellor_Palpster

Chancellor_Palpster Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    For the most part, the translation from human to cartoon character is done pretty well for the actors. Palpatine is perfect, and Obi and Dooku are pretty close as well.

But what is up with anakin?!!!?

he does NOT look a THING like that. Huge chin and square face, with that circa 1999 hairstyle of long in front, short on top, with a big wall up from the forehead. He just looks so wrong and it bothers me.

But I do like the female sith they've added in there. It looks like they used Doug Chiang's concept of the woman sith, because she is extremeley close to the concept rendering in the Art of Star Wars book.

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > But what is up with anakin?!!!?

Genndy explains "what's up with Anakin" in this "making of" feature.

7. BlazeLagoon

BlazeLagoon Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2000
    What's up with Mace's new duds? He seems to be the only character to undergo a change in wardrobe.

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    You talking about the black stripes on his shoulders?

Kinda odd, but not inconceivable that a man as stylish as Mr Windu might go out shopping for some new designer jedi garb when the pay packet rolls in.

You'll probably find his AOTC robe got too messed up in the geonosian arena battle to be worth dry-cleaning.

9. BlazeLagoon

BlazeLagoon Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2000
    It's not just the stripes. His robe-cloak-jacket thing is entirely different.

10. Celticsfan

Celticsfan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    Yeah, they do resemble the Clerks character desgins a bit, imo. I also see alot of Samurai Jack in 'em.

I love this show, and I really hope we get more than 20 chapters.

11. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    The animation style has some aspects of Clerks as well as some of the classic Cartoon Network shows (Dexter, Samuari Jack).

I love the way they incorporated so many sounds/music from the movies...to give the feeling of one continuity.

12. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I think they resembe Kim Possible that Disney animated series. That is just what they remind me of.

13. GhostPoet

GhostPoet Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2000
    They remind me of the old 80's cartoons. Only with better animation...

It's the lack of shading.

14. Mertroid

Mertroid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 29, 2002
    I know they do remind me of something. :D
    It hurts my brain for I've seen this style before :D
    Palpatine looks great and I loved how his fingers clapped, the sounds are great and I'm happy they have the original music in it! :D
    Mace looks different though, and heck I can deal with Anakin he looks fine, and Padme with C-3P0, everyone looked awesome! :D

15. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I don't like Palpatine... Other than that, everyone's fine...

16. Jedi-Colonel13

Jedi-Colonel13 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 17, 2003
    Ya, the scene from the first episode- Anakin jumps ami a ring of super battle droids, they all raise their arms at once...very Samurai Jackish...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.