main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Oh well... I can understand some people are upset.

But I didn't buy no "essential" guides. And I gave up on the timeline... yyyyears ago.
    So I didn't get served!
    :p

2. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Can someone tell me what is so different about Anakin's write up except the addition of Ahsoka Tano? I mean something that isn't a minor detail that can be retconed by wiping away Jedi Trial or killing Ahsoka in episode whatever? Not being as astute on canon as so many of you I'm not sure how the databank change made such a big deal. Referencing Cato Neimoidia seemed like a nod saying that not all EU is out the window. Am I off here?

3. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    "Impressed by Anakin's skill with the Force, the Jedi Council quickly conferred upon him the status of General and Jedi Knight at the war's outset."

5/6 of the way through the war is hardly the outset.

Haha! I love it!

4. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]
    Now I can rest in peace.
    I-)

5. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    After almost 24 hours of this going through my head, I think I'm actually going to have to say "no" to the idea of getting Star Wars authors like Dan and Abel drunk. I'm pretty sure alcohol was involved in the conceptions of Waru and Zonama Sekot :p

6. Grand_Admiral_Sean8

Grand_Admiral_Sean8 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2007
    Randy Stradley is right: we're all too negative. Star Wars has swallowed far larger continuity gutbombs, and many of them have proved beneficial in the long run. If the Expanded Universe remains intact after the Prequel Trilogy, it'll survive an animated TV show.

Weirdly enough, the best components Star Wars are the additions everyone resisted most violently. I admit, the very idea of Legacy made me sick to my stomach with fear, but now I'm a subscriber. If nothing else, the Clone Wars series will revive popular interest in Star Wars -- it might even popularize the Expanded Universe!

On the flip side, the worst components of Star Wars are the additions everyone anticipated most eagerly. We fanboys are poor prognosticators.

7. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    The movies are all of six hours of content; the TV show only needs to go 16 episodes to match that, meaning that even one full season of the show* will have more screentime--and thus introduce more content for the books to hew to--than the prequels combined.

I think that what has everybody concerned is not only this specific gutbomb (if accurate), but that there are likely to be more if they're ignoring even the broad strokes of prior Clone Wars tales, much less details. (Which is completely understandable, just not what I want to see. ;))

*Using the American standard of 22-26 here, not the British standard of 6. :p

8. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I wonder what this board had been like, had it been around during the release of the Ewok movies.

9. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    a lot more typos...how well can 6 year-olds type?

Plus, there is no way I spend free time here when there are new battles to forge with Kenner toys!

oh, how many times did Vader rule the Ewok village with ruthless efficiency![face_love]

10. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Ewok movies made me sell all my Kenner toys.
    That was only my first Rouge77 period.
    Happened again when DE came out.
    I was like 'wtk happened to my Marvel universe?'
    Cue the second 'disenfranchised' period.
    Then it was peace for a while... Until someone in a restaurant came up with the Vong.

11. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Methinks if the novels themselves were better received, we wouldn't hate the Vong.

12. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    ???

you mean novels prior to the Vong?

13. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    No, I mean if the NJO novels were written such that people didn't hate them so, the Vong wouldn't be a problem. Instead, people hate the Vong wholesale.

For example, having not read great swaths of the NJO, I don't dislike them as a concept.

14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    ^ Ditto.

I really need to get around to reading the whole NJO. From the looks of things, I think I'd very much like them.

15. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    And I absolutely love what John and Jan have done with them in Legacy.

My gushing about Legacy may become a problem if I'm to remain a member of the book staff, huh?

16. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    I don't think "people hate the Vong", as a general rule. Sure, some people dislike them - some people dislike the NJO - but I suspect that the group who think the concept was inherrently weak, or that it was never well-executed in individual novels, is smaller than the NJO-hating group itself.

Does anyone hate Nom Anor? Nen Yim? Kunra? :p

Shedao Shai? Tsvong Lah? Nas Choka?

Harrar? Elan? Deign Lian?

Vua Rapuung? Riina? Mezhan Kwaad?

EDIT: I guess the point is that there's a difference between "I don't like the sound of this", "I don't like how it's panned out", and "everyone hates the whole idea". :p

- The Imperial Ewok

17. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Excepting Kunra, Choka, and Lian, whose names aren't familiar, I can't say I'm fond of any of them.

Of course, that's hatred based on their actions, not concepts; they work great in the books as villains. I just wouldn't want to see my sisters sleeping with any of them. :p

18. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Eh... I hated the Vong until I read the NJO books.

So go figure.

19. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I am indifferent to the Vong.

I think the "extra-galactic" notion was a little cheesy.

I dislike how they were "unstoppable" in VP, but instead of increasing our heroes, they ate away at the Vong characteristics they had established.

I dislike that they created a completely "unsympathetic" group...and then turned around and gave them sympathies.

But the species, their background (other then trans-galactic notions), their cultural hierarchy and customs...I was ok with.

20. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    I don't know what will happen with all this, considering I haven't seen any of this series. I'd rather wait until I actually know the stories in this cartoon.

21. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    False :D

They're tacky.

22. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I thought they were spiky?[face_laugh]

23. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    It's not really a fair comparison. The Clone Wars TV show will cover at most a year of time, in-universe. They're going to spend all of it fighting a war that's already bookended by 2 movies. It's not the same as the 13 year period of space the prequels covered, and it doesn't have huge new revelations about the Jedi, the Republic, the Clone Wars, and major characters like the prequels did.

Heck, in the time between Episodes I and II came out, we had Jedi with multiple wives and red & yellow lightsabers fighting alongside a standing Republic military.

24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I've now seen the trailer, in HD, 16 times and counting. [face_worried]

I am really rather stoked for Heroic!Anakin.

Edit: 17.

Edit 2: 18. [face_plain]

I WANT THIS MORE THAN BREAD!

25. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I believe that the Clone Wars will be the best era of the entire Star Wars Universe. Expanded Universe or not. It already has coverage in two movies, a micro-cartoon series, alot of comic books, novels, junior adult novels, video games, topps cards, toys and short stories. Thas just the first phase of things.

The second phase of this is just going to be gargantum. You have for starters a movie, the 22 Episodes at 22 minutes each for the first season. Just that alone, and you have almost the same amount of movie time for the prequels. Then you have all those books, comci books, a video game, toys, topps trading cards, and even role playing stuff. You also hav coverage in the official main star wars site, plus they got stuff on Disney Weekend on the month of June. Now what era has ever had that kind of coverage? Or will have it? For now, none, just the clone wars.

And if this movie and first season is very succesful......You can bet that more books, comic books, and video games will come out. Adding even more