main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. CountJared

CountJared Jedi Master star 3

May 10, 2000
    Video games are also a HUGE gamble. Some games cost as much as a big budget movie to produce, not to mention the time involved. Books on the other hand only require an author and someone to publish it. They might be getting a lot of money from video game sales but they have to recoup all the costs they've sunk into it. I'm sure that by and large video games are more profitable but it can be an awful risk. For every Dark Forces:Jedi Knight you have Star Wars:Demolition or Teras Kasi. Those mistakes can be costly.

2. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    On Lit? More than you'd think, I believe :p

I think there may actually be more Clone Wars era video games than novels.

3. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    Eh? Hm...never counted these...

The Clone Wars, The New Droid Army, Republic Commando, Jedi Starfighter, Bounty Hunter (if you count it), Order 66, and Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns. That's 7, and even if you throw in Battlefront and Battlefront II's CW levels, and Episode III, you've still got Shatterpoint, The Cestus Deception, MedStar I & II, Jedi Trial, Dark Rendezvous, Labyrinth of Evil, and the Republic Commando trio, which evens things out at best (assuming one doesn't count the Boba Fett YA series--which sucked anyway).

4. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Eh-eh-eh.. You missed LEGO Star Wars. [face_plain]

5. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006

Yep. :)

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, again, looking at the numbers, you would be incorrect- SW novels, on average, can equal or surpass sales of some SW video games, or in some cases only sell half as much. That's not really being dwarfed, especially when you consider the much larger divide in production costs between the two mediums. Games definitely do better overall, but novels aren't that far behind (not to mention novels have a far, far longer shelf life than a video game).

7. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Exactly. Rather than commission a slew of new Indiana Jones novels to tie in with the new film, LFL just had the old ones reprinted; whereas they'd just be laughed out of every GameStop in the world if they put "Instruments of Chaos" or "Fate of Atlantis" back on the shelves.

TC

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I wondered that too. I really, really hope so. We don't have nearly enough Tarkin in the Clone Wars.

9. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I wondered, as well, but I'm torn. On the one hand, again that Tarkin! Enough with the cameos already, it's a big GFFA. On the other hand: he musta made a name for himself one way or the other.

10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I disagree with that - I've played "Fate" again and again, whereas the "Emperor's Tomb" (which I got as part of a set of Lucasarts games) I never got past the opening mission out of sheer boredom... ;)

Some games don't age well, but most of the Lucasarts do. (In honor of Indy, I pulled out the original Last Crusade game - who doesn't want to trick a Nazi into not only letting you pass, but giving you money as a down payment for a fine leather jacket?)

11. sabarte

Sep 8, 2005
    So, it looks like there's actually more of an overplot to the Clone Wars as a war now. I don't think it really had one before.

I like this a lot. Explains why the Republic is courting Jabba, too.

12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I've said this numerous times, the new clone wars movie and tv show will give the clone wars era a defined set of events covered in a genere as oppose to the hack/slash stuff of the first continuity stuff. Instead of having to hunt down every piece of story that allegedly covers the clone wars, now with this new series, we could have a big portion of it captured in the visual arena. This too me is good news!!!!!!!!!!

13. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003
    I agree. The EU fans can still enjoy the published material. A few details/dates may be changed, but should that really affect your enjoyment?

14. Lord_Boney

Lord_Boney Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2007

This indeed excellent. I assume that the Clone Wars is essentially the Republic pushing out from the Core and the Colonies in an effort to regain its resources and corner the Confederacy. It makes a great deal more sense then the unconnected series of Jedi commando missions, which is what the Clone Wars seems have turned into.

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    There's a lot of logic to the Clone Wars, but you do have to connect the dots a little, I'll say. Modi and myself did some galactic maps, after all, charting how the war went, and did fairly well.

16. sabarte

Sep 8, 2005
    The problem with connecting the dots is that sometimes you're just deluding yourself it all makes sense :p

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm an apologist. All I do is delude. :p

And aren't we all deluding ourselves to some degree with this continuity business nowadays? ;)

18. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    No, no, no. The Seps have major strongholds in the Colonies, and the Republic has them in the Outer Rim. It's not like that at all and it makes perfect sense as long as you don't think of it as a strict analogue of terrestrial territorial battles.

The key is that they are the Clone Wars - plural. Many planets have ongoing sectarian conflicts - Dac has the Quarren and the Mon Cals, Haruun Kal has the Summertime War between the Korunnai and the Balawai, Malastare has the Dugs and the Gran, etc.

Generally speaking, those sectarian conflicts have an impact on how they view membership in the Republic - the Mon Cals favor greater engagement with the Republic and the Quarren would rather withdraw further, as one example. The Balawai have poor relations with the Republic because they're the entrenched power class and they don't like the Republic meddling in their local affairs, whereas the resistance to Suribran Tu on Tibrin resent the Republic for not meddling in local affairs enough and freeing them from Tu's dictatorship.

What Dooku does is fuse together the anti-Republic factions on a number of different worlds into a coalition of mutual support, and incites thousands of simultaneous uprisings against the Republic. Then he draws in the various corporate factions who want a freer hand to conduct their affairs for serious financial and military support, and uses those resources to intervene strategically in different, essentially local civil wars, with his centralized forces. The Republic uses the GAR and the Jedi the same way.

Think of it as the Cold War, except much, much hotter, compressed into three years, with countries standing in for planets, and with US and Soviet forces drastically reduced in size.

Republic Loyalism and Separatism are like two competing ideological blocs fighting to tip a number of individual areas into their column for overall strategic advantage. Imagine the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Soviet war in Afghanistan, the civil wars and revolutions in Latin America and Africa, the Prague Spring of 1968, all happening more-or-less simultaneously. The US and USSR each have a relatively small core force they can dole out to tip the balance in one conflict or another over to their side, but the bulk of the fighting is done by locals fighting other locals.

What that means is that Republic forces are deployed to intervene in a long series of local civil wars, and victory means tipping more of those over to their side as opposed to Dooku's, as opposed to advancing a large centralized army or navy from Point A to Point B.

19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    http://www.starwars.com/tcw/site/index.html

Some good stuff there. Really good stuff, actually.

20. sabarte

Sep 8, 2005
    New Clone Wars game information.

This one, I think, is bad news. Not just for the Nightsisters, but the possible implication that (just like the last hand-held game) they're going to kill Dooku again.

Hopefully they learned from New Droid Army?

There's also news on a Wii game, but that doesn't seem to have any new continuity besides hitting things with a lightsaber.

21. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Sure they did. [face_whistling]

Learned that Dooku could create FORCE DOPPELGANGERS! [face_devil]

It's an End Level Boss Bonanza! [face_dancing]

22. sabarte

Sep 8, 2005
    [face_plain]

We are not amused.

23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yes you are. You're secretly cackling away to yourself.

24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Anybody play 'Sharpshooter' on the Clone Wars site?
    I enjoyed it.

25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Me too. Though I got kicked out of the top ten really fast. :(

I quite liked being a Clone. I sort of want a MMORPG/FPS where you work your way through the clone ranks now.