main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    On the plus side, I don't think Leland's explanation has actually made it to print anywhere. I suppose it is possible to change his mind and alter his holocron.

2. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    that actually crossed my mind and destroyed my hopes for a wookiee/ithorian duo :( perhaps they'll both go down in a blaze of glory.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Maybe the Ithorian will join the dark side and become an Imperial Inquisitor. That was what that evil glowing jaw thing was -- a vision of his future as a servant of the Emperor.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I still maintain that he got a satanic crystal, and Yoda was too lazy to notice.

Zorrixor likes this.
  5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, that's the point - that the CWAS will rewrite canon without rhyme or reason, and that's apparently how the internal rules for canon work. If the Ryloth thing was something that easily could've been worked around, then Wallace and Fry would've done so in the Atlas. Same thing with Rodia's position being moved.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Maybe that's why they couldn't send the Wookiee Jedi to Kashyyyk... the crystal started whispering to him and he went mad.

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Kudos to the folks behind TCW for showing us a non-stereotypical Rodian. Especially a female Rodian that speaks Basic and isn't a bounty hunter. It was also nice to see an Ithorian and a Nautolan use as well. Surprisingly, as Jello pointed out, an episode that I had super low expectations for ended up being rather good.

--Adm. Nick

Cronal and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  8. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I have no objections to the presence of a Wookie Jedi. However, I have to agree with what that one guy said in the Invasion comics when he saw Lowie for the first time: "A Wookie with a lightsaber? That's just overkill."[face_laugh]

Zorrixor likes this.
  9. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Double post.

10. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Triple post. :p

11. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I and some others compiled an incomplete list a while ago in LACWAC:
    Ryloth
    Even Piell
    Mon Calamari having a monarchy
    Greedo's backstory
    Dengar's backstory
    Hound's Tooth backstory and how Bossk acquired it.
    Not a huge problem, but could use an explanation how Wilhuff Tarkin became a "Captain" when he had retired from the Republic military service as a Commander. It would've been better to see him as a politician alongside Palpatine than some Jedi servant.
    Jedi must have super-fast growing hair product. Or it really helps Obi-Wan.
    Seeing R6 and R7 astro units. They aren't even supposed to be seen until after the GCW
    Dac's capital is not Mon Calamari City. It's Coral City.
    Be consistent with Dac's name. I realize Dac's name was not all that consistent in the past, but saying "Mon Cala" as supposed to just "Mon Calamari" is inexcusable. No other source said that before TCW.
    I would mention this as an issue, but apparently they already fixed the issue with Mandalore's capital. Keldabe is the actual capital while that glass dome Sundari is only the New Mandalorian's ( ) capital.
    New Mandalorians...
    Mandalore is not some place for everyone to hang out. "Let's go to Mandalore!111!!" It should be barbaric, ect.
    Jango was a Mandalorian, Filoni...
    Boba was a Mandalorian, Filoni...
    No, hj hating troll, he did say neither were Mandalorians in an interview back in 2010 when he said "Fandalorian" in an Insider interview. He called them "just rogue."
    They better come up with a good reason of why Appo is a 'Sergeant' at this time.
    Ventress = Rattataki
    Maul = Zabrak
    The Mortis trainwreck and its spreading throughout canon. FIX IT before you use it... It's one huge mess still.
    Grievous. His stupid purposed backstory. Jason Fry making people choose between the shuttle crash vs his stupid purposed backstory. Just go with the shuttle crash and find something to fix how he became a badass to just being plain garbage. Originally it was Mace who did this, but thanks to TCW, not anymore....
    Anakin having a Padawan
    Anakin being knighted so early
    Anakin and Obi-Wan not meeting Magnaguards for first time in ROTS, as per novel
    Jango not being a Mandalorian?
    Jango's helmet blowing up
    Anakin and Tarkin meeting during the Clone Wars
    Anakin seemingly having the scar before Republic #71 dueling Ventress
    Ventress' and Maul's backstory
    Mandalore
    Onaconda Farr's death
    Malastare government
    Boba Fett
    Grievous and Ventress' first meeting
    Gardulla
    Darth Maul's survival
    Eeth Koth
    Lightsabers used underwater

12. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    This one in particular has actually been true since 1978, with the release of Splinter of the Mind's Eye: Anakin's old lightsaber works under water. The most helpful retcon, in my mind, is that there's a specific part that a lightsaber needs to function underwater.

13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Thankfully, this one was the easiest to retcon or work with. All told, Dac, the Mon Cals, and Ackbar all came through those episodes mostly intact. With several EU refereces to boot. My only guess is that it's prominence as one of the foremost worlds created (visually, I know that George first thought of Dac) by th EU and it's numerous appearances made it a bit harder to tweak. That, or they knew my wrath would be hotter than 1000 suns. :p

--Adm. Nick

Zorrixor likes this.
  14. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    No retcon needed. That part has been around since 1998.

Slater likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    We could just say that the royal city is underwater but everything else is in the floating cities. :p Or perhaps that tensions over this rebellion is what caused the Mon Cal to mostly stick to the surface and the Quarren to the deep, etc.

I kinda want a story about Mon Cal tensions during the GCW. The Mon Cal have always been kind of... well, generic. They're a brave, heroic species that never has anything wrong with them, and they never waver in their love for the Rebellion. And I know, Nick, that this is why you love them (also because they presumably taste good with some decent seasoning) but -- imagine tensions between the Mon Cal élite and monarchists, who are loyal to the Imperial throne, and the rest of them who are getting steadfastly democratic.

I know it's supposed to be the ebil Quarren who side with the Imperials, but I think it'd be much more interesting if the Mon Cal monarchy ended up disappearing because it sided with the Empire against its people.

Or hell -- imagine a French Revolution scenario. The Mon Cal get it in their head that they want to be more democratic. The Empire intervenes (the famous repelled attack on Mon Cal) to support the monarchy, and is fought off and the monarchy overthrown. However, one of the ringleaders of the revolution -- Ackbar, former loyal monarchist -- is captured by Tarkin and made his slave.

It works, I think. And it makes the Mon Cal a lot more interesting. :p

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  16. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Well, the Atlas mysteriously moved Naboo from the edge of the galactic disc where it had been placed in the ItW-maps and despite Naboo being described as being located "at the edge of the galaxy" in the TPM novelization (and some other decisions) so the Atlas is hardly without flaws.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't think the Atlas moved Naboo -- it was located there on the NJO maps, as well as in "Naboo and the Mid-Rim." Cloak of Deception also referred to it as a mid-Rim world.

18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    What happened with Gardulla? I forget.

Also, we need to think more critically about continuity errors vs. "new information I don't like".

19. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    She got eaten by her own Krayt Dragon in Bounty hunter

20. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    This. Half the stuff on that list aren't even errors (lightsabers underwater? really?), and most of the other half are no worse than the errors the comic/novel EU has done to itself over the years (how many differing ranks has Tarkin held to date?).

Slater, Zorrixor and Ulicus like this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Tarkin simultaneously holds all ranks that have ever existed or will ever exist. He is the universal constant.

22. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Also. I recently rewatched the first two seasons, and the next ones soon, and have been surprised how much I now like it. Sure, a lot of the material is frustrating, either regarding continuity or ordinary storytelling logic. There are things in there I will probably never forgive.

But now that my initial OMG THEY STEAMROLLED JEDI TRIAL nerd-rage has worn off after a couple years, and looking back at it slightly more objectively, a lot of TCW is actually really good. Yes, it even contradicts the other films at times, which is bizarre, but with a few notable exceptions even the episodes that are bad or continuity-mangling are no worse than some of existing EU to date.

Anyone else want some of this Kool-Aid? It's delicious!

23. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    You know, I also had low expectations for this episode but I actually quite enjoyed The Gathering. It was nice, fun and told a good lesson. Loved the mysticism of Illum and the gathering of crystals. Best part I liked was the visuals... seeing the ice turned into water and having that threat of the doorway freezing up again... only for it to be an obstacle of the mind rather then a true physical obstacle. Very impressed with this episode and enjoyed it more then the Onderon arc.

24. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    You know, I also had low expectations for this episode but I actually quite enjoyed The Gathering. It was nice, fun and told a good lesson. Loved the mysticism of Illum and the gathering of crystals. Best part I liked was the visuals... seeing the ice turned into water and having that threat of the doorway freezing up again... only for it to be an obstacle of the mind rather then a true physical obstacle. Very impressed with this episode and enjoyed it more then the Onderon arc.

25. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It honestly feels like filler IMO