main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Interesting. Yeah, I have to wonder what the show would be like on a second viewing, once you already know about all the continuity problems and could watch it just as a show. I've been planning to do so at some point . . . Barriss_Coffee has convinced me to do a Trip/Havac style TCW retrospective from the perspective of an Imperial Loyalist (as I'd frequently make comments about how I actually love the awful Padme episodes because they prove how much the Old Republic sucked).

So it's actually a little comforting to know that it might not be so terrible to go through them all again.

DarkEagle, Zorrixor and Dawud786 like this.
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I spent the whole episode thinking "um, it's ice and Yoda and Ahsoka have lightsabers." It was nice to see them anticipate the complaint.

Cronal likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm wondering if the look for Mother Talzin was based, not primarily on the "Sith Witch" art, but on Queen Zalem from Star Wars Republic: Infinity's End.

The style of the red robes is pretty similar- and it was way back in 2000 that the comics were published.

4. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Yes, I was about to post that it was indeed the cartoonish NJO-map that placed Naboo there and that I was a little hard on the Atlas (and Luceno may be forgiven for the apparent mistake).

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Lightsaber crystals

At the heart of every Jedi lightsaber is a kyber crystal harvested from the icebound caves of Ilum. This crystal is attuned to the Force, and connected to a Jedi Knight on a deeply personal level. In this way, a lightsaber is an extension of a Jedi's Force awareness. Because Jedi let the Force guide their selection of the crystal, the vibration that the crystal creates in the lightsaber blade helps Jedi center themselves and find balance in the Force. In this way, a Jedi can center his or her attention beyond the distractions of combat. A lightsaber crystal is colorless until first attuned and connected to a Jedi -- at which times it glows either blue or green, or in some rare instances, another shade. From that point on, it retains that hue.

Oops.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Kyber crystal? What is this, 1978??

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought a TCW episode called the crystal with the database for all the infant Jedi candidates the Kyber crystal. Maybe Lucas likes reusing the term.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's a different spelling though. TCW has kyber, SOTME has kaiburr. Canon saved. [face_peace]

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, I know. Kaiburr is one specific thing on Mimban, whereas kyber is just a generic word that Lucas thought up. It's not a canon issue more than the revival of a term that was used... a long, long time ago :p

edit: Although it is worth pointing out that Supershadow revived the word kyber in the late 90s...

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It was, in a roundabout way - there's been some disagreement about whether Talzin followed from Sith Witch directly or via Zalem.

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    No it isn't.

12. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Indeed. But the icy barrier served as a perfect concept about how fears and making things complicated can cause a Padawan to fail in their training. Like when Luke thought the X-Wing was too big in Dagobah and it was why he failed to lift it. Thought it was quite clever as a training tool in my opinion.

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I was agreeing with you.

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It was, in a roundabout way - there's been some disagreement about whether Talzin followed from Sith Witch directly or via Zalem.[/quote]

Any chance that SW: Republic would have gotten an early look at Sith Witch and promptly used it?

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Well the art had been floating around for a bit already, IIRC. But even if not, sure, that's very possible - it's how someone like Grievous can show up in comics before RotS even comes out.

16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I still can't stand this lightsaber nonsense the TCW episode The Gathering concocted.

darthscott3457 and Esg like this.
  17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Well, at least we know that some crystals turn blue because the Jedi is a Guardian and some turn green because the Jedi is a Consu--

Why are you looking at me like that?

18. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Supershadow is in on TCW. Search your feelings you know it to be true
    I reiterate. This is really dumb

Zeta1127 likes this.
  19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Hope it's just the Ilum crystals that are supposed to be so valuable, since lightsabers of various types exist all over the place . . . and I'm sure common lightfoils are a dime a dozen.

21. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I really wish I could agree with this. I stopped caring too much about the continuity steamrolling a long time ago, and I watch the show every week hoping that it will entertain me. But the last couple of seasons have seen my general "hit or miss" evaluation of the show tip strongly toward the "miss" side. The four-episode arcs that they love to do now tend to unnecessarily drag a two-episode plotline out, and I get bored halfway through. Or much earlier in the recent Onderon case, where the first episode was laughably dumb romantic tension between Ahsoka and Lux every five seconds that destroyed the entire arc's credibility pretty early on. Whenever they introduce something with potential, they seem to end up wasting it by writing a lazy or cliched ending --- Riff Tamsen laughing evilly and declaring "Now I am the ruler of this planet!!!" is one of the most glaring examples. Yes, it's a kid's show. But that doesn't mean that they should try to write for an unintelligent audience, which seems to be the rule rather than the exception. Surely even kids get tired of the same old predictable tripe after four years.

Mia Mesharad and Esg like this.
  22. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    So crystals change colour to suit their users, hey? What about Jedi with multiple lightsabers, with different colours each. (Basically half the Jedi pre-AotC)

Zeta1127 and Esg like this.
  23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Schizophrenics.

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Whoopsie.

25. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012