main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    No discussion on how they found a time-displaced versions of the shuttle and themselves from an alternate reality? I love myself a good mind-screwing time paradox there.

2. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    "Our very own Adam and Eve", eh?

3. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Have they gotten to the part where they explain the origins of the Rebellion? Is there any way to reconcile this with what's depicted in The Force Unleashed (Certainly hope so)?

4. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    Haven't you seen "Across the Sea"? They weren't any of the time-displaced survivors after all.

It was nothing major really. Just a local insurrection on a CIS-controlled planet. Filoni & Co keep insisting that it were those group that eventually formed Alliance to Restore the Republic, but it does not contradict TFU (or any other sources) in any way.

5. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    I have. My comment was a callback to all the crazy theories from the first seasons. They are all dead, the trees are epileptic, aliens are behind everything and so on

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    They could not be less at that part.

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Oh, oh I got it! Gascon will return a changed man--er, whatever he is, and immediately seek a promotion from Tarkin. Tarkin will refuse it on the grounds of Gascon's diminutive size. This ignites the collective wrath of Bail and Mothma, who immediately jump on the issue as a publicity front for their next anti-war campaign.

...Gascon is later made the first acting officer of the Rebel Alliance.

Zorrixor and CooperTFN like this.
  8. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    I remember all of the theories from LOST and DarkUFO and stuff... but for some reason I've never heard of the "trees are epileptic" theory before....

9. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    Well I found LOST just two years ago (and am propably a life-long fan now) so I have no idea what theories were wide-spread at the time. Epileptic Trees theory I first read about from TV Tropes but I haven't found any first-hand source for it.

Oh yeah, on topic. I haven't seen the episode yet. Now I'm expecting polar bears.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Now, now, Barriss, let's not go throwing around ridiculous ideas... [face_whistling]

The origin of the Rebellion is clearly linked to the return of Mauldalore, who is being set up as the original Starkiller, the former Sith Apprentice who has turned against his Sith Master and whose actions shall give rise to the birth of the Rebel Alliance!!

(Having typed that, I actually wouldn't be in the slightest surprised if that really turned out to happen. :p)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Horrible episode this week. I can't even imagine that children found it entertaining.

Something CooperTFN said a few pages back is worth repeating. To paraphrase, is anything from TCW truly memorable and considered a lasting impact on the EU, outside of a few obvious things like Anakin having a Padawan? When I think back over the past several seasons, very few episodes and arcs stand out. Sure, Ryloth, Dac, and Umbara are all memorable, but that probably is due to the fact that they were long arcs with fairly complex setup. The rest? Can't say I recall, to be entirely honest.

Visually the series continues to be stunning, but plotwise it really isn't doing much at all of late.

As for the whole "exploring the origins of the Rebellion" thingy, I hope to God that the Onderon arc is the closest they get to that.

--Adm. Nick

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You mean "Mon Cala".

Zorrixor likes this.
  13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    For what it is worth, I still refer to the world as Mon Calamari in most instances. :p

As far as "Mon Cala" goes, it is one of those things that I can just as easily ignore as I can accept, so I am very neutral on the whole name thing.

Now, the world having two suns is a whole different issue... [face_waiting]

--Adm. Nick

14. Danz Borin

Oct 16, 2012
    TCW is definitely not ENHANCING the EU or giving it lots of ammunition to use for future plots/works.

I will say there's one exception to that - Mortis.

Mortis is memorable, is remarkable, and [has] can give plotpoints to the EU to work with. Outside of that.... the TCW really hasn't given much for the EU to work. A few interesting or at least new characters they COULD use in the future, if they knew what TCW would do with them (namely, Asoka, Cad Bane, Opress, Telzin), but very few new species, new gadgets, new tech, new planets, new "extraordinary things" (outside of Mortis) to really off-shoot and use for books. I don't see any planets being used from TCW in future works. No new plot-points to spin-off into novels, etc. Unfortunately.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Maulkiller? Not such a crazy idea after all.
    [​IMG]

TychoCorde and Zorrixor like this.
  16. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Hondo, Cad Bane and more diverse Hutts :)

17. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    When it was said that this was an artistic experimental episode with influences based on Jean Giraud, I was expecting fantastic if not slightly abstract high fantasy settings with a lot of unique angles, or maybe some really far out and cool space scenery that would wow the senses.

I can see the influence (and the comets at the start actually looked pretty cool)... but it was not at all what I hoped for. Instead, we get the worst part of abstract art... existentialism, shown with a planet that is in and of itself a blank canvas. In my mind? I was hoping for some amazing fleet battle with a strange artistic twist, or a really far out looking world. Not what I got.

Totally see what they were going for, totally found it forgettable. Not horribly written for what it was, but what a disappointment.

Still don't hate it as much as the s4 droid episodes, though. ;)

18. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I originally thought that as well, but I recall someone pointing out that while most of the memorable characters are your usual Wookiees, Twi'leks, Togruta, etc, there have actually been several extras who have been totally different -- not that I can think of their names off the top of my head.

19. Danz Borin

Oct 16, 2012
    I'm trying to think of what new species as a whole they've introduced.... that haven't been in the EU at all before.

Gascon's species is new.
    Krell's species is new (right?)
    The slavers that captured Obi-Wan... they were first used in a comic book and just changed slightly for TCW right?

...Any other NEW species?

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  21. Danz Borin

Oct 16, 2012
    Ok, thanks for letting me know Krell is a Besalisk. And I do recall that Dex was a Besalisk.

I was just ruminating, didn't feel like looking up Krell on Wook - which if I did would let me know if he was new species or not right there. No need to get "smartsy-pants" and try to prove superiority. A simple: "Krell is a Besalisk, like Dex from AOTC" would have sufficed.

22. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    From memory, weren't the talking furbies... er, Lurmen new?

You've then got the not-exactly-new things like Pontorans not being Wroonians, and the not-exactly-creative ones like the Ming Po.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ok, yesterday's episode was... different. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it either. The fact that it didn't go anywhere was intentional, but -- eh -- the Old Man and the Sea did it better. I liked the whole droids questioning Gascon's sense of superiority thing, but other franchises (see: Mass Effect 3) have done that sort of discussion better justice. That's unfortunate, though, because droids in SW have a lot more personhood than most synthetics in other franchises. This whole arc (but also, at other points in the show) you see some people treating droids like people, and other people treating them like machines. Given the sort of personality and human traits that a droid like Artoo has developed, I could see a droid pushing back a lot harder than these guys did. I like that they tried, but... eh. I'm not one to appreciate droids, yet even I was taken aback at the attitude Gascon had. They could have done something more with that.

Also, two other comments:

I. The comet thing in the beginning of the episode was a great call-back to the original Star Tours. Loved it, even though the notion of an unscheduled comet shower is comical when those things are pretty periodic -- it's a wonder the droid-hater Gascon didn't rant and rave at the astromechs about THAT. It would've at least been a justified complaint.

II. I noticed that both Gascon's water canteen (drinking flask, more like) and his uniform showed the Imperial Symbol instead of the 8-spoked Republic symbol. I don't think the changeover's happened yet though, no? I still recall the 8-spoked symbol in ROTS. Gascon then -- far from begin a new founder of the Alliance -- must be one of the Emperor's closest associates. Perhaps he's a relative of Sate Pestage, by marriage? That would explain how he got this secret mission assignment despite having no combat experience whatsoever.

24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Zygerrians have been arround since WEG and by retcon as far back as the Star Wars Marvel comics. :)

25. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Somewhat amused by this week's commentary featurette. The minimalist look and existential crisis plot came straight from Lucas. None of the TCW writers wanted anything to do with it, except for Brent Friedman.

Didn't catch this in the episode, but the concept art gallery shows that Gascon's water bottle has a little ball bearing at the top, like a hamster water bottle.

From Artoo's Abafar hologram:
    EDIT: Huh, GrandAdmiralJello is correct: the water bottle symbol is six-spoked. It's not the final Imperial symbol, though---more of a hybrid between the Republic symbol and Imperial symbol. Out-of-universe, it looks to be a simple artist's mistake.