Lit Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    Zorrixor, Zeta1127 and CeiranHarmony like this.
  2. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    *achem*

"So, what, does that mean there's Latin in Star Wars? Suspension of disbelief, much?"
  3. MercenaryAce Force Ghost

star 5
    Unless, of course, they are using the windows.
    [IMG]
  4. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    Jello pulled some strings with JSarek when he wrote that article, clearly :p
  5. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    They also build and use ray guns! Mankind is doomed. [face_plain]
  6. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Well, you can't pin it entirely on me. :p jSarek did say he had me in mind when he wrote that part of the article, but there's actually a long-standing basis for why it makes perfect sense to match up High Galactic and Latin and though I've persisted on that point over the years, I'm not the only one to have seen it.

We see Latin in Star Wars all the time -- Imperator-class, anyone? Let's not even get started on the Procurator and Quaestor class ships either. And it's not just the Saxtonites, Stackpole referred to an ISD Imperator in Wedge's Gamble, and a little thing called ROTS introduced the Venator class. These are all Latin words.

Moreover, there's a lot of pseudo-Latin out there -- Pliada di am Imperium is one of them, but they're everywhere (Dan Wallace used some in the Atlas rather recently, intending it to be High Galactic). Given the similarities between High Galactic and Latin (a prestige language of the Imperial Court and used for formal Republican terms in its secular variation, and used to describe Jedi techniques in its ecclesiastic variation), I decided that High Galactic not only ought to be an analogue of Latin (which I think was always intended, even as far back as Marvel), but it could cover the usage of Latin itself within the GFFA. That's not to say that they're one and the same -- there's a lot of pseudo-Latin that's also High Galactic, and some things (e.g., cho mai) aren't even Latinate in general. It shouldn't be treated as a 1:1 conversion (compare HG fi with Latin filius. for instance) but an analog.

As an added bonus, we get nice little things like Adumari archaic basic perator resembles both Latin/HG imperator (emperor) and HG pera (father).

@jSarek not only agreed with me and made the similarities canon(for which I am eternally grateful), but he went the added step and explained that the usage of the Latin alphabet in SW is essentially transliterating Basic words into the HG alphabet for prestige purposes. It was a nice touch and one I hadn't thought of.

P.S. if you haven't read his "The Written Word" article yet, you're seriously missing out -- HG is just one small part of a very excellent article.
    Last edited by GrandAdmiralJello, Dec 30, 2012
    Zeta1127 likes this.
  7. Lugija Force Ghost

star 4
    Best part of that image? The sound effect.
    BZZANKGK!
    MercenaryAce and CooperTFN like this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    I dunno, I rather like the Visas Marr cosplay that the dino is doing. Surely it'll fool everyone into thinking he's a Miraluka.
    Last edited by GrandAdmiralJello, Dec 30, 2012
    RC-1991, Gorefiend and MercenaryAce like this.
  9. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    I saw his post earlier and didn't bother. Wasn't worth my precious internet time. :p
  10. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Are you running low on internets? That's sad. Everyone, let's help him find some more.
  11. MercenaryAce Force Ghost

star 5
    My raptor ninja are on the way to deliver free Internets.
  12. AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature

Manager
    star 6
    I get my internets from Al Gore. I keep them in a lock box. :p

--Adm. Nick
  13. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    I hear that Windows 95 comes with a free trial of the internets!
  14. JackG Force Ghost

star 4
  15. CaptainPeabody Force Ghost

star 2
    Dude, I just went down to the gas station and picked up the latest version of AOL. I'm gonna be surfing the Internets waaaaay faster than all of you poor suckers.
    Last edited by CaptainPeabody, Dec 30, 2012
  16. Lugija Force Ghost

star 4
    BZZANKGK!
  17. Cronal Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    [IMG]
    CT-867-5309 likes this.
  18. darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost

star 5
    [IMG]

"Everybody wins."
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  19. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Hold on! The last time something went through the space-time continuum we ended up with the Glove of Darth Vader........[face_worried]

*imagines TCW rewritten with GODV art*
  20. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    *blinks*

Are you suggesting the entire Clone Wars continuity omnishambles (shame on you Google spellcheck for not knowing the 2012 Word of the Year [face_shame_on_you]) is nothing but a time-space ripple effect resulting from the translocation of the Glove of Darth Vader? :eek:

This could even explain all continuity issues past, present and future...

Maybe it was their plan all along. The joke will be on us when ST turns out to be about saving the continuity timeline from the Glove of Darth Vader! :-B
    Last edited by Zorrixor, Dec 31, 2012
  21. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
    GoDV-style TCW art, eh? We can arrange that...

This thread is wildly off-topic at this point, so here's a preview of the next episode to help get it back on track. :p

This will be the 100th episode.
    Cronal likes this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    @XJapanRoX, the mastermind behind the outstandingly awesometastic Siren of Dathomir, announced his next motion-webcomic installment earlier today in LACWAC. I'm reposting his message here since it has a lot of EU appeal:

23. XJapanRoX Official Star Wars Artist

VIP
    star 2
    Thanks so much for the plug, Barriss! While I'll be the first to admit I'm no writer, I DO love telling visual stories and have a big appreciation for Star Wars continuity. I hope you guys enjoy what I got cookin'!
  24. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
  25. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    @XJapanRoX , oh, so you're Joe Hogan! You did all the cool art for C6 -- the TFN banner, the badge art and all that stuff! Those were fantastic. I'll definitely have to check out your other work, like that webcomic.
    XJapanRoX likes this.