main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Maul did beg for mercy... but to his Master, I think that's the only person Maul would ever beg to.

And Sidious did NOT grant him mercy, instead planning to use him as a tool for some scheme, which is very much like Sidious. Why throw away a tool that you can still use? I'm betting that he's going to send Maul against Dooku, as a test, to see which one is stronger.

TheRedBlade and Sable_Hart like this.
  2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Bah, and I wanted to hear you beg. [face_frustrated]

instantdeath likes this.
  3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Well, at the very least, Ian Abercrombie kicked the crap out of this episode.

It was weird to see Maul beg, but I do think that on some level this whole thing was an audition for Sidious to take him back, so it makes more sense than "screw you, just kill me then". I think Maul would have been content to be left alone with his little fiefdom or whatever for a while, but he knew enough to understand that Sidious was still playing a much bigger game.

Sable_Hart and Mia Mesharad like this.
  4. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    So, anyone want to attempt to explain Palpatine's use of his lightsabers in this episode? Or should we just assume that Mas Amedda was on the comm ordering a new Sistros statue while his master was gone?

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Honestly, I see no reason to think he doesn't have sabers stashed all over the place.

TheRedBlade and Mia Mesharad like this.
  6. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Why did Sidious really want to kill Maul? Because Maul knew all about his master's lightsaber storage facility on Wayland. :p

Random Comments likes this.
  7. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    That's more or less a no prize though
    His tone was clearly fearful

8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Weird seeing him use two lightsabers at once though. He's definitely very skilled with a lightsaber of course, but can't think of any other sources that show him using two. I'm sure he's familiar with all the lightsaber styles, of course, just that more isn't better (as shown when Obi-wan went against Grievous... but then these days a gonk droid could take on Grievous and win probably). One of the best lightsaber fights animated though, and really cool portrayal of just how powerful Palpatine is and how easily he thrashes them. Figures that most of the better lightsaber fights involve only the bad guys with the Jedi nowhere to be seen. Well, unless it also involves a certain overpowered Padawan but fortunately haven't been subjected to her that much recently (they've actually come up with worse characters since).

Seeing Maul beg for mercy was pathetic, but he was never very impressive since his spider-Maul phase. Ranting about Obi-wan and this and that and so on. When Savage was dying I thought Maul was going to absorb that green mist and power up or something (Nightsister magic and all that), but nope, the boring brother dies as he lives... boring.

I'm going to miss her... I liked the Twilight. :p Nice to see her again after all this time (have we seen that ship since season 2?), if only to be blown up. Wouldn't have minded a scene or something showing Obi-wan going out on his own, perhaps with help from Anakin.

Well, there goes Satine. I never expected her to outlive TCW, not with the later chaos on Mandalore, and mainly cause I expected TCW to show Obi-wan failing (can't have him accomplish much). Didn't see that sister connection to be revealed. Wonder if we'll get more history on that. If they try to add a happy ending before the Clone Wars end, she could take up Satine's cause but I don't expect that much.

Esg likes this.
  9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Some are thinking that Sidious wants Maul to kill Ahsoka, to help drive Anakin closer to him. I'm not sure how I feel about this idea... thematically, I think they've made it very clear that Maul is Obi-Wan's archenemy, while Dooku is Anakin's. Not that they need to strictly adhere to this, or anything, but it will be strange to see them shift gears.

Still, Maul begging just goes against everything we know about the character, unless you choose to take the view that Maul's just a scared child who puts on a tough bravado, which I personally don't (what can I say, I like impressive villains). The only thing I like about it is the implication that Sidious is so incredibly powerful that he can reduce Maul to that. Makes Luke taking it in ROTJ all the more impressive as well.

Still, I would have much preferred it if Maul stood up to his master and demanded he kill him, serving as a test for Maul to prove he still deserves to live. Though who knows, maybe Sidious prefers them whipped.

TheRedBlade, Sable_Hart and Esg like this.
  10. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I think Anakin's going to be a little upset that his ship got turned into scrap under Obi-Wan's watch. I don't think it could have been avoided, but still...

Sorry about Satine as well. At the same time, considering how Mandalore appeared post ROTS, I think her death was pre-ordained.

So it was a three-episode arc. I thought it would be four because of that clip in the preview of the second half of this season where Ahsoka faces that individual with two sabers. That individual was wearing the same gear as the Black Sun guards. So you can see why I drew that conclusion.

11. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    So, not having seen the episode (or any of the series) yet, please tell me Palps doesn't hold one of his sabers in a reverse grip? :p
    Would have also been an opportunity to have his horns grow long like Savage, giving Maul the exact look he had in Old Wounds.

12. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Nope, both in regular-grip.

The one thing I didn't like about the episode was how heavily they implied Sids=Palps. I thought they were trying to stay away from that, leaving the reveal for ROTS. Otherwise, very excellent episode. I loved the visuals of the battle between the Mandalorians with the ruined city in the background. Satine's death was somewhat surprising; can't wait to see how Bo-Katan's story resolves now- they've got some interesting options open for her. I feel like Sidious plans to use Maul to kill Obi-Wan to serve as a catalyst for Anakin's transition (but will ultimately fail).

13. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I still can't see that as a reveal....they've got the same actor, they sound the same, and Palps has all those evil grins...

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Important to remember what might be incredibly obvious to us might not be so for the kids watching. Many of them still have no idea Palpatine and Sidious are one in the same.

15. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Actually in the novel, or junior novel (I can't remember), he go the one that flew out the window back from Mas Ameeda and the clones. Just saying :cool:

16. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    *cough*i am a kid*cough*

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So, after watching the video, what do you guys think will happen between Tarkin, Ahsoka, and Ventress in the season finale? And this anti-Jedi plot?

It looks like this could be Ahsoka's exit, or at least a big character transformation.

18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Are you 8 or younger? :p

19. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    Having Maul absorb the energy and get a power up? I'm sorry but that's just.....dumb. It just doesn't make any sense in the context and how the spells work. He was reverting to his normal self pre-spell as he died.

Maul begging for mercy was a sign that he finally broke. The guy has lost his brother, his identity, his master is against him, he spent years plotting his revenge only to fail. I thought it was perfect. And Palpatine didn't show mercy. Maul is now no longer an apprentice. He's a pawn to be used.

Also, the Palpatine using 2 sabers doesn't surprise me. He's going up against 2 people with a total count of 3 sabers, not counting the extra blade on the double bladed. I'm sure that he had learned a little bit of this style. You can't let traditions die off.

Though I do agree that it got pretty close to revealing the Palpatine=Sidious. I kinda wish we only had a shot of Palpatine feeling the ripple in the force and then just cutting away. Then seeing the ship arriving after the next couple of scenes. It would make it more mysterious IMO.

20. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    My sister is...
    They stop, and have a moment where he laughs, or grins evilly all the time.
    And whatever he does hurts the Jedi...

21. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    Wow. That episode was really, really epic. Visually stunning, the music was perfection.

I need to watch it again.

CooperTFN likes this.
  22. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Looking through the book for some more TCW-related terms, Concordia comes up a number of times, also. But so far that's the only other one I've had any luck with.

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Nobody wants to talk about what Tarkin, Ventress, Ahsoka, are up to in the season finale... which is going to have a Jedi Traitor plotline, an anti-Jedi populace plotline, and a mystery plotline too? And all the teasing that this may be when Ahsoka exits the show?

24. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Looks like I ended my post too soon. In regards to Palpatine and future episodes of TCW - if he were to make cameos or appear but have no lines, then fine. But if Palpatine were to cintinue to take an active roll and speak, then there's the challenge of finding a new voice actor.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    And yet he was never deformed by the lightning. Imagine that.