main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    The worst part isn't even that Barriss' fate is being altered, it's that it's just a complete screw-over of her character. I'm reposting this here because it's relevant.
    "Barriss Offee had the ability to use Floating Meditation and was a skilled Jedi healer which came in handy during the Clone Wars."
    was a skilled Jedi healer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    You know MedStar was intended to be a Star Wars M.A.S.H. thing

3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    i get it now folks... TCW makes sense...and synchs with old EU CW lore pretty well of the pre-prequel era as well as everything else!!! or else i turned crazy now...

This season ends on a cliffhanger with Fake-Barriss in prison... and next season we see the true meaning of the CLONE wars...

Kaminoans betrayed the Republic by starting to clone Jedi in secret.. some got loose and replaced their DNA-donors. next season Even Piell will return, the true one and Jedi start wondering.. and more and more turn up.. until the wars get really messy with the Republic hiring several mandalorian clans to hunt down fake-Jedi.. with Palpatine issuing mandalorian prison ships with force cages while Republican cloning is moved to Arkania and Coruscant with spaarti tech as the evil cloners on Kamino unleash their secret armies at Dookus command.. meanwhile trust in the jedi is lost totally by the population as the true rise of an empire to be has begun thx to Tarkin and Yularen.

TychoCorde, Plaristes, Cronal and 4 others like this.
  4. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    How about we pull quotes out of their historical context?

Qur'an also says "if you slay one human life without just cause, it is as if you slew the whole of humanity."

5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Nice to know I'm not the only one who is... disinterested in TFN's TCW reviews. I disagree with them, and everyone has the right to their opinion of course, just sometimes I find even IGN reviews a bit more interesting. At worst they find an episode a bit slow, and nothing else. Well, at least they're happy with TCW (and apparently have little to no knowledge of the EU, or don't care, or follow the company line of the EU mainly be a source of cool names and nothing else, based on their latest review and how they sort of suspect Barriss, despite the literal two books' worth of continuity that will probably soon be destroyed by next week the way things are going).

Funny enough, even in show, taking into account those second season episodes where Barriss did show up (and back then I still had some minor hope in the show, but by the third season, lost all hope), this would still seem like ruining a character, since its hard to see how her characterization there could possibly lead to this (not just the ethics but the raw Force ability and connections required) but... considering the normal quality of this show (a few good episodes, good animation and fight scenes, but horrible ideas, such as the droid four-parter just recently, which should have been a bunch of awesome episodes starring Artoo and more astromechs... just they didn't bother to focus on Artoo and astromechs most of the time).

Wasn't that anime guy more of a mercenary? Well, one who usually committed terrorist acts, but I lost interest in that Gundam series fast (nothing but politics, grey areas and random power-ups, good animation, but other than that really depressing...). But then that seems to be what's considered "sophisticated" these days.

The commentary is... really depressing. Not surprising (I still remember hearing about some of the stuff they say at TCW panels), but sad. I usually don't bother watching (not like this show is that nuanced), but based on the other posts, decided to watch it myself and... sounds like it will be as bad as we fear, but maybe next week after the season finale he can point out all the clues we missed but... yeah, he phrases it politely and all but still sounds like he's laying down the law, no objections. I wish I could say I was surprised, but there's nothing TCW won't mess up somehow if it can.

Hearing him talk about Ventress as a more developed character now is just... hilarious. The comics gave her a sort of sympathetic background before, which they threw out for Nightsisters and magic mist (better writers than this show have tried keeping everything in continuity, but its obvious TCW's intent is that only Dathomir matters), and now she's mostly talking about money. Seeing Ahsoka and Ventress team up was really rushed and silly. If they had actually accomplished something, maybe, but Ahsoka is just flailing around. Anakin has a point, just running makes her look more guilty and she still has nothing to show for it.

I'm almost afraid next week she'll just be pardoned somehow because Ahsoka is just that special, or because of a last minute plea from her... unless Palpatine spins it into a "oh dear, the Jedi have special immunity, I can't do anything about it, not unless someone passes another law that cripples the Jedi and helps me, er, the Republic to properly administer justice". Not sure I want Palpatine that involved though, that Sith Hunter comic had one of the few moments when Palpatine actually looked really startled for once (when he hears Maul is alive) so he's not omniscient, but while he is plotting a lot of things, a plot like this seems... below Palpatine's level, when most of the time he is manipulating planets and populations and armies. Dooku is supposed to handle the grunt work and... actually, when was the last time we saw Dooku? Oh right, when he was getting revenge on Hondo in yet another of his many hologram appearances (maybe Dooku's hologram should have a separate entry on Wookieepedia by now since he shows up more often than Dooku himself :p ).

And replying to something a few pages back, Ahsoka and maybe Ventress are really the only main characters of this show. Everybody else is there to marvel at how wonderful or strong they are or be defeated by them (or both). Umbara was a pretty good clone episode, but aside from Gregor, I can't remember if we've had any good clone moments this season. But then most of TCW is forgettable, or memorable for all the wrong reasons.

6. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Go on.

7. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    So my banal theory about the Second Clone War being about the Clone Jedi Order is actually starting to materialise? [face_rofl]

Seriously, if that actually happens, Lit should demand royalties. :p

8. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    If it was just the bombing there would almost be a way to make this work, like Barriss wanted to bomb the temple to send a message but wanted no one to get hurt and Letta screwed that up, or something equally stretched.

But then add in the nature of the bomb, the prison escape with the dead clones and none of it really jives.

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    While I'm under the assumption that there's a third party involved and Barriss's involvement something of a red herring, if they end up making her go dark at least I hope they don't pull any punches. Make her bad. Make her bad from the start -- an infiltrating Sorceress of Tund or Rhand.

Than I shall be appeased.

Oh but if she's a Rhandite she's gotta get a hat.

Ulicus , Plaristes, Gorefiend and 2 others like this.
  10. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    she's Cronals daughter in disguise as a Mirialan? the Prophetess strikes again!!!

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    My question is, if Barriss truly Breaks Bad, will Barriss follow suit? I know my cat is already sharpening her claws in anticipation...

12. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
  13. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I have no daughter!.... oh wait, you mean the EU Cronal... my bad, carry on. :p

On Barriss, it seems like a curious change to make if she is the one stringing Ahsoka along. Feels almost random... like even Plo Koon could have been the bomber even. Not sure if I like this arc as much as the Mauldalorian one or the Jedi training one. Though I did like the TIE gunships.... those liked nice...a bit freaky but nice.

CT-867-5309 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  14. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    But do you really want Filoni to write about the Sorcerers or Rhand?

That's, like, just asking for him to rub salt into the wound, as you know it wouldn't fix things, just create its own problems. :p

Because the Sorcerers of Rhand really came from a world in the Deep Core where they lived in a stellar nursery and gained their prophetic insight through the power of Lightsight that they achieved when they stared into the blindingly white fires of the stars being born and learned all about the power of Creation and how the Universe is a place of eternal rebirth.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    uh guys. Aren't we overlooking the most obvious suspect? We're looking for a female Jedi who wants to hide her facial appearance?

It's ADI GALLIA. Her death was staged earlier in this season! We didn't believe it then, and for good reason.

Nubbs, Nobody145, JackG and 9 others like this.
  16. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
  17. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    sounds like Daiman was a Sorcerer of Rhand too then :p I like the concept of a deep core forceuser order staring into the light... reminds me of a scifi movie with an elusive title about a mission to restart the sun...

18. Something_Exile

Something_Exile Jedi Master

Nov 23, 2012
    What I found interesting about this whole mess is that on other sites, the whole Barriss thing (words cannot express how idiotic I think it is if she really is the big bad of this arc) is still negatively received. Notable because barely any of the comments I've read even mention the EU; their criticisms are based on the Barriss within the show. In the context of the show, we barely know her, haven't seen her in three years (I was still in school when that episode came out and am now a few months away from the end of university, just to put that time gap into context) so no one cares about the potential betrayal, only are disappointed. I just find it interesting that even many who don't read or care about the EU still don't like this development. It's just bad writing, and it's depressing to think how such a huge and popular, long running franchise can be handled this poorly.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, I'm not that worried about continuity issues: I'm worried that if this is going to be that super-secret ground-breaking season finale that couldn't even be featured in the season trailer, it's going to be completely anticlimactic.

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    That's true--I can see why it'd be a big deal for Ahsoka, but in the grand scheme of the show, there's got to be more going on than just another Krell.

21. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    You'd like to think that, but based on their track record that sounds like wishful thinking.

Esg likes this.
  22. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Its strikes me that a mystery isn't really a mystery if there is only one suspect. Even Scooby-Doo didn't make it THAT easy.

23. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    That would actually not be too crazy and I would agree with it completely despite being unbelievably hilarious. Maybe that's what Mara meant in The Last Command about the Clone Wars

24. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I'm more worried that next week will be the final episode of the show to air on TV, and Ashoka's and Maul's history may 'never' be resolved...

If we go back to the status quo, ruin a previously established character, 'and' cancel the show with this finale without at least giving some closure (if Ashoka leaves the order, that'd be at least some closure), I'll be furious.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Not a possibility. The next season sounds mostly done already; even in the absolute worst-case scenario, they'd dump them out on a DVD or "broadcast" them online.