main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Y'know, that panel showing Barriss' death in the ROTS comic can still be canon. That wasn't part of Order 66, she had just escaped and those dutiful clones were given a shoot to kill order, coincidentally occurring at the exact same moment as Order 66. :p

2. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I personally found that very little of the emotional resonance of the episode came from -that- betrayal, though. Primarily, it was the betrayal of the council that informed ahsoka's feelings. That is why I feel the friend point to be moot.

Could just be me, though.

3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    sure and while escaped she took on a Padawan and accepted a mission for the republic as in the webstrips... all played along till Tarkin noticed she is missing :p

Edit: honestly, technically she can escape prison and join Djinn Altis order, take a Padawan there and get back to missions. especially after Altis and Yoda work together at the Wars end for a short time. so partially she is redeemed or no longer hunted till war is over due to Altis protection.

4. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I think it was both. It was a double whammy of shock for Ahsoka, not only does the council "betray" her but her friend as well. I never had a problem with them using Barriss as the culprit, the biggest issue IMO was they made it so obvious in To Catch a Jedi.

5. max-attac

max-attac Jedi Knight star 1

May 23, 2009
    Bariss Offee, another victim of Darth Filoni. :mad:

I really have the feeling of being taken for a rich moron by the guys of Lucasfilm who sold me a bunch of books and comics saying "here is the official story" and later puts their stamp on a contradictory story. So the (not cheap) books that I purchased were ultimately as valuable as toilet paper.

I don't deny that the episode was pretty good, but why Bariss Offee and not another Jedi ?? Why ??

We'll see if you say the same thing in ten years when they will rewrite again their story. I can tell you that if you bought the DVD, you will be angry

Mia Mesharad and Esg like this.
  6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't watch TCW for a reason, and LFL just keeps reaffirming my belief that TCW is an AU, since they don't have the decency to officially declare the EU non-canon when they already treat it that way.

7. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Don't know if been mentioned but could MedStar have been during the gap in the series? Like 21-ish BBY? So Barriss could be saved except for one panel of a comic book

8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Technically, it is always possible that Barris could get released and sent back to the frontlines just in time for Order 66, either because she repented or just because the jedi were that desperate.

Edit:
    Not just "just as good", but better sometimes. I mean, didn't including a Viszla as the Death Watch leader and using their old logo improve the Mandalorian arc, or at least make it better than if they had invented a new Mando group as the opposition whole cloth? Would not Ryloth have been just that much better if they had explained that the planet's tidally locked nature limited their landing areas, explaining just why taking the town in Innocents of Ryloth was so important?

Would not this episode itself been a bit better if Barriss had said that her experiences in the Medical Corps had made her question the righteousness of the Republic?

9. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    As others have said, Barriss fate remains up in the air, and there's plenty of possibilities to explain her order 66 death. Also, she is never once called a Padawan this arc, so there is 'no' reason to assume MedStar can't happen during the series (I always guessed it did anyway, as not EVERY novel needs to predate the show's beginning).

Reversal of Fortune is kind of screwed though. She'd have to be redeemed to explain that one, so we either toss out the story entirely, or go with the ambiguous kind of stuff Chee has said regarding her appearance in the story being non-canon, while everything else depicted in it still is.

Having said all that, the ending was quite powerful, and tragic. Poor Anakin.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah -- all she has to do is declare neutrality. Works for folks in the CIS all the time.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    So Barriss has not been seen since the Geonosis arc in season 2 correct? I'm at season 4 in my run through. Wouldn't it have had more meaning if we had seen Barriss a couple more times over the show?

12. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

may I reply to this with my earlier reply? I saved Reversal of Fortune.. kinda...

13. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    they might have left Barriss out of the arc and use Tera Sinube instead as evil jedi... he had close ties to Ahsoka too. but no he is a TCW original so he is safe, right? d'oh... I'd like Darth Sinube. Loved him as Jedi already, would love him as Sith even more.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Or another Jedi. Tera Sinube evil? Can't buy it. Couldn't buy Barriss as evil and look how that turned out.

15. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I don't see how her making that one statement makes it "better," which is a subjective opinion in any case. But you are implying that her views in the TCW can be seen as consistent with her characterization in the MedStar duology.

So the lingering continuity gaffe is her two panel death scene in the ROTS comic book adaptation? I think any writer worth her or his salt could come up with at least several explanations as to how that death scene can fit into continuity.

16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, I sure don't feel like a fan of Star Wars, I feel like a fan of something else called Star Wars, since the EU means nothing to LFL.

17. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    well... those who saw TPM first never thought Palpatine could be evil :p

18. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Tim Curry is vocing palpatine now? we all know he is evil, but thats like putting him in full "Evil" gear with an evil sandwich, of lighting and thunder, and deep blue flames.

Cronal, Zorrixor and CeiranHarmony like this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Touche. Though I admit I didn't think Palpatine and Sidous were the same person. My Dad claims he told me they had the same chin but I don't remember it. I was 7 when it came out. I did not watch the credits.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  20. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Ok, I just saw the episode myself, and wow, that was good.

That last scene especially not just what was going, but everything from the musical cues, to the lighting, to the angles really made it work.

...It is sad really...without the continuity problems I think this episode would have been very highly praised here.

Though, in retrospect, it would have been a lot better if there had been more build up as well. Maybe introduce a new character to specifically be Ashoka's friend, and have an arc about her getting disillusioned with the republic instead of the D-Squad arc. Which reminds that, next to continuity issues, the biggest problem with this show is just how disjointed it can be - with a consistent set of characters and more connection between arcs, this show could have been Avatar level good. As it is though....

Now, that praise aside, I have two more problems with this episode
    -Does the GFFA not have lawyers?

-Underuse of the temple guard. Come on, you have badass ninja jedi with double bladed yellow lightsabers and they are just background dressing? I hope they appear again in the series...but like many of its better inventions, I don't expect they will.

Nubbs likes this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    While I liked the episode I hated that they destroyed Barriss' character. They haven't developed her in the show. They should have used someone else. I have been a fan of the movies and the books since the late 90's so I detest your statement that we might not like Star Wars.

my kind of scum and Zeta1127 like this.
  22. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Yeah, I was wondering that as well.

You knew Ahsoka knew she was finished the minute Anakin told her Padme was going to defend her.:p

Vialco and Nubbs like this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The temple guards were amazing!

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    No, it's that LFL claims that it is all one story. They don't want the sales of the extraneous material to drop, but they also don't want to be 'restricted'? Fortunately the movie is going to force the issue and they'll have to finally make an official statement. As far as 'defying' the films? The CWAS has done that much, much more than the EU ever did.

And I have no sympathy when they put the phrase "official continuation of the legendary Star Wars saga" on a Star Wars novel. LFL knew fully well what they were doing there.

Mia Mesharad, Esg and Zeta1127 like this.
  25. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Is "Avatar-level good" a synonym for "sucks" cause that's what Avatar did.. ???