main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Nathan P. Butler, who does the Star Wars Timeline Gold, suggested on the SWT-G Facebook page earlier today that this could mean that Star Wars would be split into two continuities, with the first six films and the EU works being one continuity until Episode VII comes out, while the second would be all the films (including the ST) plus TCW and Rebels. I've been leaning toward this idea for the last several months. Face it, Episode VII is likely to be a game changer; SOTJ and the Kemp duology might be on ice, which could potentially mean that Crucible might end up being the last EU work chronologically in the established EU. To be honest I like the idea of TCW being in its own continuity with the films and Rebels; means a fix to mesh all the pre and post 2008 works isn't quite so necessary. It would also allow fans to - and yes, I'm using the term here - choose which continuity to be their personal canon. I get the feeling there will probably be something like this eventually:

Timeline I: Episodes I-IX, TCW, Rebels (Droids, Ewoks, and Holiday Special as well if people want to get technical.)

Timeline II: Episodes I-VI, all EU material published from 1977-2013 (could Crucible be the last work in the current EU?), except for the TCW related works.

Timeline III: Episodes I-IX and EU works connected to the ST?

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Cough cough 'Legacy comics' cough cough.

3. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Good catch; forgot about Legacy. Hmm ...

Well, if Crucible ends up being the last novel to be published in current EU, then I guess there will be a large unexplored gap between it and Legacy; I doubt the events of the ST will be conducive to Legacy being a part of the new EU timeline.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't believe there will ever officially be two continuities. Even if the ST is an EU nightmare, I don't think they'll ever overtly brand the current EU a separate timeline--they'll just proceed like it's been that way all along.

The same way they handled TCW, in other words.

5. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I never got what the big deal is about the "continuity" differences, anyway. Most fixes are done by authors after a few years. Marvel SW survived Bantam and Del Rey combined, thanks to that. Just put Legacy several centuries into the future rather than just 130 years. Like the original idea for TFU. It'll be fine.

6. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    indeed... while they will take the easy path out and "say nothing, do nothing, just wait till its no longer an issue" fanfriendly authors and WE the fans will retcon it all and make it work. they then just jump on the fixed train and claim it all always made sense we just never saw it in the first place like they did.

Long Live L-Canon and its Cooperor!

I mean separate continuities means less separation and more death/end of EU anyway then. not gonna happen! They never kill their cashcow so long it still delivers a couple of extracash on the road.

And honestly... what I love in SW is too that fans have to work it out. I like other cleaner continuity universes but SW feels more like fans are involved in keeping it alive and working than any other universe.

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Fixed.

8. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Leeland just said they aren't handling The Clone Wars, so in other words you figure they will do nothing.

Considering that at one point he was on the record saying that they were going to fix all the timeline placement once the show is over I think the timing of the question works pretty well.

Esg likes this.
  9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, I've been pushing that as a best case scenario - a variation of Marvel's relationship between the Marvel movies and the main Marvel Comics. No 'reboot' necessary, and a host of prior problems are solved.

10. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The problem with that is Star Wars is supposed to be one story in the form of a complete history of a galaxy, and I bought into that idea, while TCW (by completely rewriting the Clone Wars when the multimedia project had already done a fine job) and the post-NJO (by creating a depressive and alienating time period that I have no interest in) have made it very hard for me to continue to believe in that idea.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Kind of sad, as it makes it sound like he has basically admitted defeat to it, though yeah with the ST coming up they will properly throw canon out anyway.

12. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Yeah, well, you guys are all ignoring his worst Twitter atrocity:

Jabba's Palace Pop-up Book? Ignored?!

This is an outrage! I cannot believe how much this franchise has gone downhill in the past year! WE MUST NOT STAND FOR THIS!!!!:mad:

13. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I'm calling it. The ST will reaffirm the canonicity of the EU, to a degree never before seen by any piece of Star Wars media, by introducing Jubnuk as Han's new sidekick, replacing the mighty Chewbacca who died years before on Sernpidal.

14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Hmmm.... Wookieepedia has this to say:

"Leland Chee, when asked about this, admitted that he never even knew about the hidden ending until being addressed about it on June 3, 2013 by a Wookieepedia editor. He also kept the status ambiguous, citing that the EU had Boba Fett and Gardulla surviving similar fates regarding the Sarlacc and Krayt Dragon, respectively, as why Jubnuk's survival shouldn't be ruled out altogether."

15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Guess I'll just take the next revision of my timeline that much more seriously. It means we can decide for ourselves. ;)

16. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009

Does this mean that...

[​IMG]

L-CANON IS VICTORIOUS ON ALL FRONTS!

17. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    [​IMG]

Esg likes this.
  18. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Given that Filoni is in charge of Rebels, and that it is therefore highly likely that Rebels will involve a number of characters from TCW (such as the bounty hunters, possibly even Ahsoka), why should anything be rushed?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    double post...

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  20. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    And the movies are another big question mark on the horizon that they may want to wait for before acting.

21. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    A small blog post over at the Star Wars Blog about Darren Marshall's work in sculpting character studies for TCW shows a maquette of Oppo Rancisis. They call him a spoiler, so perhaps he's going to be in some of the "Season Six" episodes.

Also, there's a Stormtrooper helmet, presumably for Rebels.

22. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh god you know their just rushing to kill him off just as a final **** you to anyone glad about it ending

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

Just realized this may be my last chance to use that...

:_|

24. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Coop you have to be blind to think this won't happen after the last season

And mark my words the very minute it happens you will try to backpedal and defend it. SOmeone screencap this for when it does

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't recall expressing an opinion as to whether it'll happen or not.