main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't see what's so loose or ambiguous about it. He says Luke is burning Anakin's body, just as the original script said before it was retroactively altered for the SEs. Maybe he realized that an empty suit of Sith armor doesn't exactly deserve a Jedi funeral.

I just hope that what we're seeing in play here is not the all too common misconception that the Force ghosts reside in the netherworld of the Force. In ROTS Qui-Gon was said to have returned from there.

2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Because the Sith armor can still be symbolically representative of Anakin's body. Burning the armor not only honors Anakin by giving the closest thing he has to remains a proper funeral, it also cathartically destroys what has been his prison for over twenty years.

Didn't the databank change on the official site come at basically the same time the DVDs came out? Apparently someone felt the official stance hadn't changed.

e:

And yet Qui-Gon still maintained his identity in the Force. So even if he resides within all living beings from a certain point of view, there's an aspect of him that is still apart from them, as its own discrete entity.

When Luke saw and heard Obi-Wan's ghost, it seemed to be appear as an external force. Though we like to say that Obi-Wan et al. became "one with the Force", I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. If they had become completely one with the Force, they wouldn't be hanging around looking and sounding like their old selves. Lucas's original idea to have Obi-Wan come back to life in the flesh seems to support this idea, I'd say, though given that he changed his mind on that aspect it's difficult to say whether he changed his mind on what it would imply.

3. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

And yet Qui-Gon still maintained his identity in the Force. So even if he resides within all living beings from a certain point of view, there's an aspect of him that is still apart from them, as its own discrete entity.

When Luke saw and heard Obi-Wan's ghost, he seemed to be acting as an external force. Though we like to say that Obi-Wan et al. became "one with the Force", I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. If they had become completely one with the Force, they wouldn't be hanging around looking and sounding like their old selves. Lucas's original idea to have Obi-Wan come back to life in the flesh seems to support this idea, I'd say, though given that he changed his mind on that aspect it's difficult to say whether he changed his mind on what that would imply.

And sorry that I missed that your question was rhetorical. I can be a blockhead sometimes.

darthosaka likes this.
  4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Maybe someone felt that the official stance shouldn't have changed, but arguably Lucas > someone.

The funeral pyre scene, as originally filmed, was supposed to involve the burning of Anakin's body, and that's exactly what it looks like. Yoda vanished almost immediately upon dying; in Obi-Wan's case, it's really an instantaneous thing. This contrasts noticeably with the Anakin situation. Anakin dies, and then the scene lingers on for a while for emotional effect, and he's still just there not vanishing. With the release of the blu-rays, just as with the SEs and the DVD release, Lucas had yet another chance to add a special effect of Anakin disappearing ( or a commentary statement to that effect ), yet he chose otherwise.

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Did Nejaa Force ghost? I cannot recall that.

They could have periodically lost it. During Revan and Traya's Purge... And again during the Dark Ages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darthosaka likes this.
  6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    It's mentioned in I, Jedi that Nejaa's body vanished upon death and his wife only got his robes rather than his remains because that was customary for Jedi Masters. The Bantam EU operated under the assumption that Jedi Masters vanished upon death (and that they married and had children, which it can't necessarily be faulted for).

darthosaka likes this.
  7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Ah ha. Vanishing is different to ghosting though. It *could* be wangled as a non-traditional Jedi thing. In that Anakin may have not been beside a Corellian or Altisian Jedi when they died.

darthosaka likes this.
  8. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Oh okay, now I see what you were saying. And yeah, good point.
    I don't know, maybe they're trying to differentiate why *this* time is different and special, when Yoda was apparently cool with the Force "answering him in the voice of Qui-Gon" for years when he tried to commune with it like it said in the ROTS novel.

9. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Someone remind me when the rest of the episodes are aired? Only caring about the Yoda arc I am.

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Next weekend it will be on in Germany, and I believe on Friday is when it will be up on Netflix in the US.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  11. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I don't have Netflix sadly, so next weekend for German spoilers. Excellent.

12. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Watched the Clovis arc, then waded through a bazillion pages talking about all other kinds of stuff to find the discussion... to find out that discussion is largely about noses.

I don't pretend to get the politics behind both parties trying to save the neutral bank, one party "apparently" influencing the bank to their favour, but doing it without any subtlety so that the bank is suddenly not neutral anymore, and the Republic then taking over anyway. How exactly did the bank system survive this entire charade when it's such a delicate thing in the beginning? How close to the end of the war are we by now, seeing that the Republic now has all the money?

I actually dreaded more "jealous Anakin" stuff, and it really just got out of hand. Ani gets some "bad husband" points because that's what people expect of him while the entire point of ROTS is that he's doing all the evil stuff for and against Padmé out of the blue. In addition, there's no reconciliation here beyond "oh Anakin apparently judged his character correctly before he punched him in the face for completely different reasons". Padmé being pushed over in working with Clovis comes so quickly the Muun leadership should have been surprised she suddenly accepts and runs around with him. And then there's the "I'm a senator you know" bit where she's leading an investigation with Clovis... by going to the opera, putting lots of meat on the table and dressing up in one of her tight black dresses.

Compared to the Order 66 arc, I think script and direction are far more faulty. There's lots of stuff happening in similar places nd with so little change that it seems as if no time has passed while a parallel story should have skipped a lot of time already. And then there's the little bits like the troopers surviving for an extended action scene... while being completely surrounded. It's not like bigger guns save you from being hit with a gun; this isn't the lightsaber-wielding circle of survivors.

EU-Continuity bits: I considered that one guy being Bel Iblis, too, but alas. Other than that, Ani's room has him work on droids - which, together with the ANH-like starfighter model, is a clear callback to the Lars homestead garage in AOTC; however, it also works with the idea of Anakin always working on droids at the temple, something completely absent from the films. And in addition, the model Anakin 'plays' with is of a newer Jedi starfighter, one that's almost looking like the Interceptor. And isn't it the official take that Anakin also tinkered on the fighters, too, always creating improvements?

13. Sith_Knight087

Sith_Knight087 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    Good point.

14. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    4 more episodes air in 1 hour. These 4 'most likely' won't have canon implications that are that large (outside of the "Did he" "didn't he" got to Degobah debate...)

Despite this Moraband mess, I look forward to seeing more of that guy on the left there. Finally. After what, 10 years? (knowing my luck, they find a way to kill him in this arc). Bonus points if they somehow sneak Stass Allie in, and even more bonus points if the actually kill Eeth Koth.

darthosaka likes this.
  15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I doubt Lucas will kill someone in Ep3. It doesn't fit his MO of grinding his axe against the EU! :p

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Folks, we may have less than an hour before we get another TPM/midichlorian-style smackdown.

Enjoy these moments. Enjoy them wisely. Just remember to dust off your protest banners in case you'll need them.

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Are the Qui-Gon episodes today? I thought there were still the Jar Jar ones and the Sifo-dyas one in addition to the 3 Qui-Gon ones.

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It's the 2 Jar Jar ones and the first two of the Yoda arc, from what the FB pages say. Whether that's Qui-Gon, who knows.

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I assume Qui-Gon is in the first one at least.

20. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010
    That's the point. Oppo isn't in EP 3. Stass and Agen Kolar are. I wanna see everyone that's in ep 3 mainly 'for' G-Canon's sake. I doubt Oppo will die simply because the show was canceled before they could kill him (which I am content with).

21. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    At least it indeed is Liam Neeson's voice!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  22. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010
    Get out the retcon guns. Valorum is indeed still alive.

23. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I'm watching the new CW episodes in German TV right now and... let me tell you: instead of killing people, they've started resurrecting them.
    EDIT: Ninja'd.

This episode is both "cool" and full of continuity catastrophes.

24. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010
    And now Obiwan knows Dooku is named Tyrannus...

There better be a good explanation for this...

Esg likes this.
  25. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Ah he can still get eaten by Vampires 15 minutes later.

Why he does not just realize that in Ep 2 is beyond me anyway.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.