main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Darth Detth.

2. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Or Double D as he's known on the mean streets of Moriband

3. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    To be srs though, I suspect the "sounds too much like Coruscant" thing has less to do with people confusing the planets than just with the actual sound. We're used to seeing Korriban and Coruscant written out 99% of the times they've been used, so we know they're really nothing alike, but all people who just watch the show are going to hear, nuances of pronunciation aside, are "kor-uh-sahnt" and "kor-uh-ban." As a (terrible) writer myself, I can understand Lucas's inclination to not want the main good planet of the Jedi and the main evil planet of the Sith to sound so much alike. He might think that people will infer some kind of connection between them where none exists, or might just think it sounds redundant (Dantooine and Tatooine aren't really comparable mythologically).

Not defending it, because it is hilariously dumb, but I do think it probably wasn't one of Lucas's "EH WHATEVER LET'S JUST DO IT LIKE THIS NOW" changes.

4. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Maybe the TCW team should have just called the planet "Ziost" and see if Lucas ran with it... Then re-retcon that back as the Sith homeworld...

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I guess I should be upset about the silly reason for the name change, but for some reason, I am mostly happy to hear that it is in fact the same world, if by a different name.

Maybe because I used to such things elsewhere (Game of Thrones especially)

Or maybe because...well...what's in a name? Especially when it is easy enough to explain away as an alternate name as discussed earlier.

darthosaka likes this.
  6. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Why does anyone care? I really don't get it.

I mean, here's an easy fix: Every time you hear the name "Moraband", rewind your Netflix real quick and then shout "KORRIBAN" at your screen instead. But beware the perils of rage spittle. LCDs require a delicate touch when cleaning.

7. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    At first I literally screamed like this...

out of laughter of course :p

and after some thought I'm pretty much in agreement with DigitalMessiah _Catherine_ and instantdeath thoughts. It's a change that Lucas can do and I see why he would do it but it's a change that will irk people. It's just how the game is played. Specifically this will bug EU and KotoR/SWTOR gamers, casual fans won't have a clue about it if TCW is their only other avenue to the GFFA aside of the movies. Sadly this has been going on for a while and I suspect this will answer the million dollar question on how most if not all EU stories will be treated.

as a person who isn't bother by the changes to the blu-ray saga(well that Krayt dragon is just plain silly) this renaming of Moriband comes off unnecessary and hilarious. Maybe it would have been better as a completely new old sith world... oh well.

8. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I wasn't at all trying to suggest Lucas is a bad person. I absolutely believe he's a bad writer (in some ways that even extends to his work on A New Hope), but that's as far as it goes.

9. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Lucas himself thinks he's a bad writer. But Star Wars has never actually relied on "good" writing as much as everyone seems to think. Lucas was always much more integral to Star Wars' success than Lawrence Kasdan was, as brilliant as I think the latter is. Without Lucas, The Empire Strikes Back would have been a pretty good mismatched buddy comedy starring Han Solo and C-3PO, and that's about it.

edit: Well, we also can't forget that Lucas had a fair amount of help condensing his wacky original Star Wars drafts down to their base concepts. But he was still the one who came up with the concepts.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Darth Detth will be Ima Gun-Di resurrected.

Since Star Wars loves resurrections.

darthosaka and Random Comments like this.
  11. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    The_Phantom_Calamari, in many ways he's the Stan Lee of Marvel, not necessarily the best writer but he's undeniably the heart and face of the IP

12. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Except Stan Lee is universally beloved while George Lucas has been retconned out of his own franchise by a large portion of the fanbase.

13. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I just find it utterly silly to suggest that Lucas is disrespecting a writer because he's not binding himself to their work when he writes in his universe. That suggests that somehow it's disrespectful for a writer to write SW Infinities, or it's somehow more respectful to write "canon" Star Wars. I think the whole idea of "canon" is so completely overblown to be silly at this point, and I would kill to write non-canon SW just to write in the universe. I wouldn't care if Lucas told me "that's great but that's not how I would do it so I'm giving my own treatment of the subject that contradicts yours" afterward. That's absolutely his prerogative, and he could have never asked me to write in the universe at all.

14. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005

True, although he's universally beloved by fans....cowriters & artists who work with him is another story.

15. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010

Oh, I agree that Star Wars has never been a masterfully written work. Even Empire Strikes Back, everyone's favorite, is successful more for its fantastic cinematography, set pieces, and memorable characters than its actual writing . As mediocre of a writer as Lucas is, though, he's a first class businessman, and he's great with "big picture" ideas. I'd argue that the reason the OT turned out so well was because other artists were able to take his ideas and flesh them out into something more substantial.

If I'm being perfectly honest here, I honestly don't hold any great, defensive love for the original movies themselves. An odd thing to say on a Star Wars forum, I'm aware. They're enjoyable, to be sure, but the reason I'm here is for the EU (which itself doesn't exactly tend to be the greatest paradigm of quality, though I'm probably just saying that because my interest in it has waned so much), so my view on the matter is obviously somewhat skewed. But just to clarify once again, I do not consider this name change to be anything approaching a big deal. All it amounts to for me is a patented Lucas "Oh, Grandpa!" moment that I've somehow allowed to be dragged out into something resembling an anti-Lucas rant. Those went out of style eight years ago. Just the usual disgruntled shrug that comes in response to a writer I'm not fond of doing something I think is strange.

There's a lot I could say about this, particularly on the concept of ownership when it comes to Star Wars (artistic vs legal ownership), which is especially muddied considering Lucas no longer owns the Star Wars license (can it rightfully be called his universe any more?), but in the interest of not being dragged into a debate that has been acted out hundreds of times before on this board, and will surely be had hundreds of times more, I'll just say this: what makes this situation so hilarious to me is how utterly small it is. So small that it carries an almost-certainly-unintentional pettiness with it. It's one thing if Lucas wants to exercise his right to rewrite large segments of "his" universe to better suit a larger theme; I would argue that he has every right to do it, even if I don't exactly embrace it with open arms. But changing a name just because? That's pure Lucas. And that's why it's amazing.

Jedi Merkurian and Iron_lord like this.
  16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    darthosaka likes this.
  18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Bah. That's what I get for checking out of this thread this week.

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Darn, I was hoping the 12am PST was wrong and it was 12am EST for TCW be put up on Netflix.

20. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I don't care. I'm just poking fun at this still mostly pointless change. I'm relieved that Korriban at least still exists in canon, in fact... even if the name will change, and heck, I look forward to seeing it too.

Also, I respect Lucas for his world-building if nothing else. He should be more respectful of those who've come after him, as they simply add interesting ideas and flesh it out well, but I do like the majority of the world he's build in the saga. Including both the PT and OT. The man does things I blatantly do not agree with, but I am often saddened by just 'how' blatant the utter hatred of him is.

Of course, if Darth Bane pops up literally alive in this episode when he's supposedly been disintegrated by his apprentice... I suspect my rage will give me a new taste of that hatred.

(Not that I'm not already creating mental retcons for such a scenario... but that's getting ahead of myself here.)

21. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Just got back from work, in time to catch the...

Wait, Korriban and Coruscant sound too much alike? Moriband is a thing?

...George, George bro, come here, sit down. Okay George, I just want to ask you this one question. The **** you thinking?

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    He was confused by Korriban, k?

23. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I mean, it's close enough to be corruptions/colloquialisms of the same name, Korriban to Moraband is just two consonants and a vowel different. It isn't a hard retcon to make at all.

The frustrating part is that it has to be made in the first place when Korriban is an extremely well known and established planet, and TCW is the one place where it manages to be called this. I want to like TCW, but when it pulls unnecessary stuff like this, it really grinds my gears, and I'm not even that big of a continuity junkie.

Contessa and Force Smuggler like this.
  24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    This is an outrage.

What are we talking about, again?

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The senate must vote Filoni emergency powers.