Lit Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Tzizvvt78 Force Ghost

star 4
    [IMG]
    Last edited by Tzizvvt78, May 3, 2014
  2. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    The fortune cookie for "Sacrifice" does remind me of something. Two things, actually.

"Facing all that you fear will free you from yourself."
  3. sidv88 Force Ghost

star 1
    I see. I'll just pretend that Obi-Wan was filling in for either http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unidentified_Jedi_Master_(Humanoid) or http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unidentified_Jedi_Master_(Gran) when they were missing during the microseries, and was finally given a permanent appointment when it was confirmed these guys weren't ever coming back. :p
  4. MercenaryAce Force Ghost

star 5
    Random thought, and forgive me if this has been brought up before, but I was wondering if these guys:
    [IMG]
    might be related to these guys:
    [IMG]
    Gorefiend likes this.
  5. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
    makingstarwars.net has compiled some recent tweets by Brent Friedman, a TCW writer, about the episodes that were written but never produced. Nothing earth shattering, but one thing caught my eye:

Injuries, eh? Were they planning on pulling an Alpha with Rex? [face_thinking]
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. Cynical_Ben Force Ghost

star 4
    Or a Darman/Niner.
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. Revanfan1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Originally planned to desert but injuries prevented it?
    Cynical_Ben likes this.
  8. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Last edited by Rogue_Follower, Jun 7, 2014
  9. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
  10. _Catherine_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Okay it was Twilight I was thinking of, they recolored Mace's lightsaber purple in the Omnibus.
    darklordoftech likes this.
  11. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
  12. Alixen Force Ghost

star 4
    Am i the only one who finds it more comfortable placing Clone Wars: Season 6 in the new continuity, but not Legacy?

Control chips in the clones, no such things as Sith Spirits, very few taught how to become force ghosts, Morriband rather than Korriban. And all within 12 episodes.

Personally, it just feels like it will likely fit better in the new continuity. I get that it was already in the cards before the Disney sale, but it doesn't chnage that things feel a lot smoother with TCW ending with Ahsoka leaving in the Legends setting. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Alixen, Jul 18, 2014 at 10:51 PM
    JediKnight75 and Force Smuggler like this.
  13. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Except that they are right there on screen and can clearly interact with their surrounding. :p Yoda is just dogmatic in that case, as much as Mace a few episodes earlier, where he claims the Nightwitches power are not real, after which she pulls a burning sword from thin air that can block his lightsaber!
    Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  14. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 6
    Yoda's thinking they are illusions created for him by the Priestesses, to test him, I'm told.
  15. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5

See and that is why I just kept insisting that last arc only makes sense if Yoda is in fact just tripping after eating some shrooms on Dagobah. :p
    Last edited by Gorefiend, Jul 19, 2014 at 12:47 AM
  16. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    The priestesses told him they were illusions.
  17. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5

Which themselves where clearly also only illusions ;)

[IMG]
    Arawn_Fenn and Riv_Shiel like this.
  18. Tzizvvt78 Force Ghost

star 4
    They never said anything either way.

The episode guide (before the reboot) said "With the guidance of five mysterious Force Priestesses, Yoda was subjected to spiritual trials, facing down illusions of ancient Sith warriors conjured by the Priestesses as well as by the power of the dark side". Emphasis mine. The ghosts have the same black smoke-trails as the Dark Side cave on Dagobah.
    I wonder what that actually implies about the Dark Side's regenerative powers, since the ghosts, minus Bane, are from long before Yoda's time (the Warriors), or are abstracts (the snakes). Plus they have sentience, since they said they'd alert the living Sith Lords and did so.

Curiously, Darth Bane didn't seem to know what was going on outside, since he just questioned Yoda like he just woke up. Which is also true to the lore, where undead Sith are largely oblivious as to what goes on outside their own tombs.

Then there's the reference to the Netherworld of the Force in ROTS, given by Yoda. Are Sith and other darksider ghosts just plucked out from the subconscious while lightsider ghosts remain in the universe proper? Some stories show living Force-users conjuring darksider ghosts. Maybe the Priestesses did the same thing to bring out the ghosts in the first place. I can't believe Filoni would be oblivious to the Korriban lore. Its only notable features are ghosts and their tombs.
    Last edited by Tzizvvt78, Jul 19, 2014 at 7:06 AM
  19. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view...

I've given up worrying about the distinction between spirits and illusions. What makes a spirit real? What makes it an illusion? What defines the difference? It's a can of philosophical worms that could be answered a multitude of ways depending on someone's point of view. Yoda, in particular, has a mind rooted firmly in Jedi doctrine, for whom a spirit isn't alive anymore, it cannot return from death, so... is it real? Is it an illusion? Is there even a difference?

Maybe there is yet life left in Darth Bane, or maybe it's just the shadow of a dead man, an illusion of the living that can never return... who knows. I enjoy the ambiguity of it.
    Last edited by Zorrixor, Jul 19, 2014 at 7:33 AM
    HEDGESMFG likes this.
  20. Starkeiller Force Ghost

star 4

Same goes for Dathomir "magic".
    Last edited by Starkeiller, Jul 19, 2014 at 8:34 AM
  21. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    Dathomir magic... yeah... Mace probably thinks dinosaur bones are made of plastic and not real. :p

I confess, I do kinda like the idea Dathomir magic all stems from Talzin and is some kind of unnatural siphon or something, and so "illusory" not in the sense of being powerless, but in not being from inside the body, not from midichlorians, not "real power" in that respect, but false, unnatural, an illusion of power when it is only stolen from others, blah, blah, but... I also like the idea that the Jedi just sometimes don't know everything, so... I can't decide which option I prefer.
  22. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5

As mentioned, burning sword from thin air that can block a lightsaber! ;)
  23. Starkeiller Force Ghost

star 4
    The fact that the sword was invisible up to a certain point in time when it was supposedly "created out of thin air" does not mean it was in fact created out of thin air. That's the most common magician's trick, making things appear "out of thin air".

I'm not saying that there's nothing to Talzin's use of the Force, just that it is overwhelmingly based on theatrics and misdirection to make her appear far more powerful than she is. That's the whole purpose of chanting before casting one's spells, to draw attention from your sleight-of-hand.

Edit: I watched The Prestige again last night (and was reminded that it has of the wonkiest film premises ever), and I'd say I see Talzin's magic as The Real Trasported Man act was presented in that film: there's an extraordinary, apparently supernatural truth at its core, but it is dressed up with illusionary tactics.
    Last edited by Starkeiller, Jul 19, 2014 at 11:10 AM
  24. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    I just treat the chanting as Talzin's way of focusing her mind.

In the Book of Sith, it talked about Sith incantations too, and Sorzus Syn waxed lyrically about how you would draw on the power of all those sorcerers before you, invoking their power, etc, etc, and from a certain point of view, sure, that's true: you're thinking about what someone else has managed, picturing what you want to achieve while chanting, convincing yourself that it's possible and that you can do it. I treat Talzin and the Nightsisters the same way; it's just their own way of mental conditioning.

Which, yeah, actually means they're not as in control of the Force as a Jedi who doesn't need to do all that, and means that they're going to get afraid if you burn their book of spells, and suddenly lose all their confidence and no longer believe they have the power to do it, but... I like the effect. It's like a wizard's magic wand. My D&D knowledge is flaky, but I vaguely recall something about, I think Elminster, being able to cast spells without a magic wand, and that being treated as a sign he was superior to ordinary wizards... or am I thinking of Dumbledore... I forget, I know I've seen that trope used to elevate really important characters above every other Tom, Dick and Harry somewhere.

Which is why I enjoy that, unlike Talzin, Palpatine doesn't need to put on his robe and wizard hat to cast Force Lightning: he's got enough confidence in his power without relying on the self-theatrics.
  25. blackmyron Force Ghost

star 5
    Dumbledore. Wizards in Harry Potter need wands, or something - my SO is a Potter fan and works at Potter doing the wand demonstrations, and that came up recently.

D&D, wands are just devices that allow to cast one particular spell over and over until it runs out of charges.