main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The Jedi agreed to a majority of the law changes that Palpatine passed to create the Empire. The only ones they didn't agree to were Order 66 and the declaration of the Empire. Every single other law that laid the groundwork for the Empire happened under the Jedi's watch with their approval. It isn't until Episode III that they realize things are a problem, but only because Palpatine passed a law putting the Jedi council under his purview, one that directly affected them.

The Jedi order were fooled just like Anakin was fooled into making poor decisions. They adopted the clone army that served as their executioners. They supported the chancellor getting emergency powers. They supported all the legislation Palpatine was having passed to better conduct the clone war, because they were too distracted by the clone war to realize the Dark Lord of the Sith was their pal. Just like Anakin, they made poor decisions based on faulty information, because the Dark Lord of the Sith fooled them, until it was too late and there was no going back. Unfortunately for the Jedi, Palpatine didn't want janissaries, just corpses. But he did want Vader.

Iron_lord and Force Smuggler like this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Jedi had nothing to do with the law-making process. They followed the instructions of the Senate and the Chancellor regarding what missions were ended around the Republic.

As far as their getting fooled--yeah, they absolutely did. I would argue that Anakin was in a much better position to see through Palpatine than Anakin was, given that Anakin was closer to him.

But that aside...since when does getting duped make them to blame for their own demise?

3. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Since when is being flawed the equivalent of being blamed for their demise?

Personally, I don't like to think that the Jedi were fated to be purged, that there was absolutely nothing which they could have done to avert it, that it was wholly up to Anakin or Palpatine whether the Jedi order survived. The idea that the Jedi have no hand in their own destiny strikes me as silly. It's not much of a tragedy if it's predetermined. It wasn't out of their hands. Is that blaming them for it? I don't think so. I think if they made better choices, they could have prevented their ultimate fate. I don't think that makes them responsible for their fate.

Stover's take:

Anyway, I feel like this opens a whole new can of worms so I'm not sure why I'm posting it except I'm a **** stirrer,[face_mischief] and I'm sure you don't want to discuss the Hegelian thesis, antithesis, synthesis or what constitutes "balancing the Force," and frankly I'm burned out on the subject. :p

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You're right, I don't.

And it wasn't "predetermined" because Palpatine always had choices. He could have decided not to kill the Jedi at any time.

Anakin also could have decided not to help Palpatine out.

As far as "tragedy," I hear that word batted around a lot regarding Anakin and Padme in ROTS. I don't know or care what the literary definition of a "tragedy" is, but it seems an indication of something I'm supposed to feel sad about.

Which to me precludes the idea that the Jedi had a hand in this in any way. If they had, it would not be a tragedy, it would be a simple case of choices and consequences.

5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Okay, but I think it's baloney that the fate of the Jedi order hangs on the whim of one man.

Jedi Princess and Force Smuggler like this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Well, if you want to go back far enough, he and Plagueis together hatched the scheme to infiltrate and take over the government.

Are we going to blame the Senate and/or the regular people who voted for him, not knowing what he was?

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    No, we continue to blame the Jedi Order for becoming a tool of the said corrupt Senate. They're Jedi, not police officers.

Why did they not step up earlier? Why did they allow themselves to be limited to stopping what only the Republic approved of? Why did they become soldiers for a Republic over an issue which was really between the people of the galaxy and not for them to dictate the outcome? Why did they not stop Palpatine stripping away the freedoms of the galaxy one day at a time? Why did they agree that the ends justified the means for thirteen years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    How about Othello or MacBeth? They had a hand in their own ruination - yet their stories are still tragedies.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would not call Palpatine 'one man', I would say 'the end product of an ancient conspiracy who have worked for a thousand years for this goal.'
    Technically they are agents of the law, it is what gives them their right to intertwine and do their job.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's extremely displaced blame. Instead of blaming the Senate for voting Palpatine in, or better yet, blaming Palpatine himself for, as you said, stripping away the galaxy's freedoms, you want to blame the Jedi for "allowing it"? For not being omniscient enough to see what was happening?

Why are Palpatine and the Senate considered toddlers who cannot be held responsible for their own behavior?

I'm not even sure what "stopping Palpatine" would look like, other than the scene in his office in ROTS, and we know how well that turned out.

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    If the Senate is corrupt then why are the Jedi beholden to it? Why did they only love against Dictator Palpatine when his religious preferences were confirmed?

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Maybe there's an EU source on this but I assume they have been working for the Senate for years, and the Senate were their funding source. I'm not sure exactly what else they were supposed to do--sell mind tricks on the streets?

That misses the point anyway. Why are the Jedi being held responsible for Palpatine's behavior by being held responsible for the downfall of the Republic?

Why are the Senate and Palpatine--especially Palpatine, given that the Senate could not really know what Palpatine was, any more than the Jedi could--not being held responsible for their own behavior?

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The same reason police, firemen and peace diplomats do their job even if the senate is corrupt. Also there are many different ways of corruptions, many in the senate are probably only "normally" corrupt and there are also many who only want the best for the Republic
    Because until then they had noting on him except for suspecting him for corruption and arbitrary government

14. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    That's the point - they're not. The Jedi are propping up their bad decisions. Decisions which they should have been held responsible for by being allowed to fall. They're allowing the Senate to become more and more insulated from their decisions because the Jedi fix it. This makes for a weak government, weak institutions, corrupt and destructive.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Because the Jedi are enabling them.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What do 'enabling' mean?

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    More or less they are absolving them of any consequences of their actions.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not buying that.

Each person is responsible for his or her own behavior. Period. The end.

Palpatine was an adult who can make his own choices.

The Senate were adults who could make their own choices.

Blaming the Jedi is both scapegoating, and assuming that Palpatine was a toddler who, if he has a tantrum, just needs Mommy and Daddy Jedi to put him down for a nap.

"Enabling" is usually used to refer to an alcoholic or a drug addict who has a person buying their substance or covering their ass somehow.

It is not helpful to the addict when someone does that, but at the end, it is not the "enabler's" responsibility to get the addict clean. Only the addict can do that.

And the analogy does not work here anyway, because addiction is a disease, and Palpatine is not diseased.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks.
    How do you mean?

21. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    The Senate is making bad decisions.

The Jedi are letting them rather than bringing them up on it. They are dying for it. Unnecessarily.

The people are unable to do anything about it because the Senate is feeding them propaganda, propaganda the Jedi condone.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The Senate and the Senate alone is responsible for bad decisions that they make.

23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Only if they face the consequences.

Which they don't.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    They still made the decisions. How does not facing consequences absolve them of responsibility for decisions that they make?

Is a shoplifter not to be blamed for stealing something unless the police interfere?

Are people not responsible for making good decisions as long as they know how to make bad ones without getting caught?

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The jedi's job is not policing the senate, are there (or should be) other organisations who those this and there is also the media who should scrutineer the politicians and their decisions