main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    He is seen in a prison cell, Poggle the Lesser and Whorm Loathsom were shown to, it is a blink and miss cameo. Wat Tambor appeared in the comic of the slaver arc, but certain changes were made such as, the time it took place, no Ventress, we had Darts D'nar instead of the Besalisk CIS commander and we didn't have Wat Tambor or Shu Mai. I don't think they left Wat Tambor out because he was supposed to be in prison, I think they did it because for a while TCW teams just did not want to include any CIS leaders at all, probably because of the corporation neutrality issue they either weren't sure how to do them or just didn't want to confuse viewers. Shu Mai didn't appear either and she wasn't in prison so again I think they left out Tambor for the reason I mentioned.

2. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    It's a shame, because one of my biggest desires for this show was that it would further flesh jedi/separatists/minor characters with no onscreen dialogue in the films. In the case of some of them (Plo Koon), we got exactly that. But that wasn't the case for everyone, sadly.

I also just wanted a cameo from Sly Moore. :(

3. SeparatistFan

Oct 19, 2012
    Another point that kind of proves Wat Tambor was out of prison before S5 is that The Techno Union were neutral in S3. The Techno Union were the ones responsible for the Ryloth invasion so at the time of S1 they were only with the CIS. In S5 Wat Tambor is still in charge of the Techno Union and I very much doubt he would have accepted neutrality for his Corporation if it meant he had to spend years in prison. I'm guessing the Banking Clan accepted an offer for neutrality at a similar time because in the Malevolence arc there is an indirect mention of San Hill wanting to make a treaty with the Republic. The Trade Federation situation is more complicated because they are supposedly neutral during Supply Lines which takes place before S1. How can the TF be considered neutral when it's leader Nute Gunray is an obvious Separatist?

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe he's not the only important Skakoan in the Separatist Alliance? There was that guy on Nelvaan in the old Clone Wars series.

5. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010
    But we saw Tambor in prison. How could he be out of Prison when onscreen evidence shows him there?

It's simple. Without Tambor, the Union was somehow voted "neutral" by the Sentate (for whatever dumb reason, considering they obviously still gave arms to the separatists), but elements of it remained Separatist. Wat Tambor and Poggle were transferred off planet per-Palps' request... and oops, the Separatists mysteriously (one can only wonder how, I suspect by rather InSidious means) learned of their transfer, and busted them out. With the "extremists" back in the hands of the neutral corporations, all neutrality went to hell by Episode III as the war came to a close. (The banking clan was of course already dealt with in Season 6, despite San Hill running about somewhere unknown.)

That's pretty much the explanation I'm going to live with.

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Someone give this person a job with the Story Group, stat!

7. SeparatistFan

Oct 19, 2012
    My point is that I think George expects us to ignore the cameo Tambor made in S5 hence why he didn't want to the jail break episode for Tambor and Poggle that Filoni wanted to do. From the words of Lucas himself "no one will see that screen"

I am sure Wat Tambor isn't the only important Skakoan in the Separatist alliance, but he is the leader of the Techno Union. I remember that Skakoan from the micro series, he did seem important, I like to think that it is the same person as the blue aid Tambor had with him on the Bad Batch arc.

This is now the explanation that I am going to live with regarding the corporations, they were kicked out of the Republic very soon after Obi Wan stumbled across their meeting with Dooku on Geonosis, but they ended up getting invited back in to the Republic Senate because they were desperate. Towards the end of the war they were kicked out of the Republic again because the leaders were clearly Separatists and couldn't be trusted.

Hopefully there was an arc planned that would have explained all this and if there is I hope it gets released in some form. We need to see what exactly the CIS Council is and how Wat Tambor transformed from the untouchable "neutral" business man he is on the Bad Batch arc to the hidden war target he is on ROTS.

8. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It would have been so much better to see Tambor free in Season Four's Slavers arc than in an unfinished arc. Having Tambor instead of Nix Card would have been so epic and closer to the comic + having Shu Mai there would have helped too.

Thank you! The neutrality of corporations caused such a huge mess and really annoyed me.

[​IMG]

They even admit that towards the end.... FACEPALM.

9. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010
    I'll disagree with you on the Wat Tambor cameo being invalid because of something Lucas said (he says a lot of crazy things), but we're pretty close to being on the same page with the whole way neutrality pays out. At some point, the corporations were voted to being neutral, and then got kicked out again shortly before the war ends. As far as I can tell, this only effects the Trade Federation, Techno Union, and banking Clan. It's all a very weird retcon which hurts the films more than the EU, actually... but it's... not impossible to work around based on dialogue we're given. And as others have pointed out, not without real world precedent.

Hey, maybe someday I'll take my crazy list of stories/theories to Filoni/Pablo/Chee (since I consider Filoni far more of a Lucas successor than Abrams) and see what he thinks (along with the numerous questions I've always wanted to ask him). Some of my old timeline posts got likes from Jason Fry (who himself wrote content that fixes some of the Mandalore issues), so that's about as close to official endorsement as I'll probably ever get.

Fortunately, most of what I suggest is already based on dialogue/evidence presented within the story, so it's probably in-line with current thinking in house.

darthosaka and SeparatistFan like this.
  10. SeparatistFan

Oct 19, 2012
    I guess we will just have to disagree on the cameo being valid situation. As far as Filoni's concerned it will be and it seems as far as George is concerned it isn't. It's kind of like the situation with Gregor, he is dead as far as Brent is concerned, but alive as far as Dave is concerned. In the Bad Batch arc there is no mention of Tambor being an escaped prisoner, he seems like someone who is above the law.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe it isn't Wat Tambor we see in either scene? But another of whatever his species is? Or was it confirmed to be him?

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Between this CIS major players neutrality business and the clones have chips business, people wonder why I don't want to go anywhere near TCW even with an extended dual-phase lightsaber?

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Its been confirmed they say several times that its him.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    In both scenes?

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh but Gregor is most definitely alive.

16. darthosaka

darthosaka Jedi Master star 1

Oct 25, 2012
    I call him Kul Tambor.

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I absently wish Wat Tambor and so on escaped during Ahsoka's arc. A prison break arc would have fullstop been amazing.

EDIT:

That being said, considering how sparingly the other leaders were used I wonder if they were to be released from prison during the Battle of Coruscant at the wars end simply so Sidious could kill them all off without worrying about political concerns.

Sent from the World

18. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I wonder if the Ghost Expansion pack for X-Wing Fantasy Flight Games is canon?

19. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    I feel you. This show in my opinion, blocked the continuity chakra beyond belief.

20. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    It was ok at first - most of the multimedia Clone Wars could still fit even after TCW Season 6. And then...
    The recent TCW novel "Dark Disciple" completely invalidated Dark Horse's *entire* Clone Wars comic book run with Quinlan Vos. There's no practical way the novel and comics can fit together, that I can tell.

And what will happen if a movie director wants to use Ventress? Think they'll follow this novel where she died? The novel will have as much impact in Disney's film world as Chewie's death in Vector Prime did.

Sent from my SGH-M919N using Tapatalk

wmu'14 and darthosaka like this.
  21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Tholme has been believed dead more times than I care to count.

First missing after Geonosis, next fakes his death to help Aayla beat Aurra, and so on and so forth.

Sent from the World

Barriss_Coffee and darthosaka like this.
  22. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Yeah, him and K'Kruhk, dead all over the place and then they got better.[face_good_luck]

darthosaka, Vthuil and Sinrebirth like this.
  23. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Dark Disciple's problems go far beyond which character may or may not be dead to fit into the EU:
    For the novel to fit, Dooku, Ventress and Vos all need to be mind wiped to forget they already knew and worked together in the Dark Horse Comics. The Jedi Council and even Palpatine need to forget too. Ventress not knowing who Vos is was a key part of the novel.

Sent from my SGH-M919N using Tapatalk

darthosaka likes this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    It's difficult yes.

The issue arises that Obsession fits neatest at pre-Nightsister massacre, which needs to be following from Dreadnaughts of Rendilli which in turn shortens the Vos arc, somewhat.

We can have a substantial gap between that and Dark Disciple arguably.

Then Dark Disciple can end before the Saluecami arc, I would expect. Ventress already knows who Vos is before he outs himself remember.

Sent from the World

darthosaka and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, whether you liked it or not, trying to reconcile Dark Disciple with the preexisting Clone Wars continuity is just not possible, because it's basically an "adaptation" of Vos's original arc to the new continuity. I know his bouts with the dark side sometimes seemed repetitive, but this would just be ridiculous.