main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Strip mine it of characters, places, and other things and toss away the rest - that's the only worth to include in Legends Clone Wars.

2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    To clarify, the Jedi believing Ventress wouldn't recognize Vos in the novel is a key part of the plot. That would be hard to believe considering that (if you try to fit in Legends) Ventress, along with Skorr, literally chased Vos out of Dooku's inner circle in the Battle of Rendili.

Sent from my SGH-M919N using Tapatalk

3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    And Boba fell into the Sarlacc pit 3 times.

I'm not even saying you're wrong, but the EU and wacky retcons like this have always gone hand and hand. Those who want to believe what they believe can and will.

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, but those retcons were stupid and why even people who liked it sometimes made fun of the EU. Trying to apply them to something that wasn't meant to be in the same continuity is even goofier than they were.

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    actually the biggest disappointment about the Legends announcement for me was that Boba Fett didn't fall into the pit of carkoon on three separate occasions any longer

6. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    If there is some feasible way for Dark Disciple to fit into the EU, I'd love to hear the ideas, no matter how crazy they are. I'm just not seeing how it can be done, and it is hard seeing Dark Horse's 3 year Clone Wars run get tossed into the "no way it can fit with canon" bin. I remember how we read each issue in the years before ROTS hit theaters, and how fans discussed with Jan and John on the forums the particulars of each story and how they worked hard to make everything fit (Battle of Honoghr, for instance).

Salvaging Dark Horse's Clone Wars for the new canon is particularly difficult because Quinlan's story is so closely interwoven into the main story thread--there's no easy way it can be cleanly excised from the rest of the comics material from that period. Dropping the 'Star Wars: Obsession' comic miniseries when it was found to conflict with TCW was relatively easy by comparison.

I would personally have preferred, over Dark Disciple, a novel that brought real closure to Darth Maul's activities in the Clone Wars (no, 'Son of Dathomir' didn't count as Maul was still active and in charge of his Mandalorian army at the end of the comic). The Jedi needed to be tricked into thinking Maul was dead, so it's not so jarring that they aren't concerned about him in ROTS (Disney obviously wants him alive for possible future use). Maybe a battle with the Mandalorians that ended with Maul's ship "exploding" and the Jedi assuming that he perished, similar to what happened with Dash Rendar at the end of the 'Shadows of the Empire' game.

Well, the fun now will be waiting and seeing if any post-ROTJ material can be salvaged at all, or if Aftermath and Shattered Empire will completely roll those over. My rule of thumb is:

1. If Han and Leia were never married in Ep. 7, see if everything up to X-Wing: Solo Command can be salvaged, or
    2. If Han and Leia are married in Ep. 7 or were married at some point prior, see if everything up to Tatooine Ghost can be salvaged.

Should be fun seeing how it all plays out. :p

7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I guarantee some people around here will try to make Dark Disciple work with the EU, but trying to make anything TCW work with the EU is insanity to me.

Davak24 likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought Jason Fry & Dan Wallace did quite well, with The Essential Atlas and The Essential Guide to Warfare.

And at the moment, The Official Star Wars Fact File is still mixing TCW material with Multimedia Project material.

9. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    The ironic thing is that the films themselves, after the prequels arrived, are now built on such bizarre retcons fitting incidents that weren't meant to be in the same continuity originally (and that don't even have a proper onscreen explanation). I must have missed the scene where Anakin told Obi-Wan he wanted his child to have his lightsaber, or how a newborn Leia could have such vivid memories of Padme when Luke, who was also there when his mother died, does not.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  10. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    You are correct. The Dark Disciple book was bad, I agree.

Although, I think we can guess the motivations by Filoni and Co. well enough.

[​IMG]

darthosaka likes this.
  11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm not sure about linking Filoni to money made on Dark Disciple. He works at LA on Rebels, not at Lucasbooks. I'm not sure how many people had money to make on Dark Disciple. Golden, obviously. I'm not sure if Shapiro gets paid, not really my business. Disney would stand to profit, but I wouldn't put Filoni in there.

Do not mistake me, for I am only fulfilling my vow of knighthood, to speak the truth. Filoni is a destroyer of all goodly things, and the most hated man of this realm. Forsooth, he is felonious, a villainous and false knight. But I will not bear false witness against him, nor can I hold my tongue when others do.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Thanks Filoni

13. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Um, the lightsaber thing was kind of retconned in ESB. Seeing as Obi-Wan lied about Vader being Luke's father, you can see how easily he would bend the truth regarding the lightsaber.

darklordoftech and Sinrebirth like this.
  14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The truth was simply greater than the words Obi-Wan used to describe it.

(He's a Sith!)

15. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    No wonder Yoda said the future is always in motion. What future he sees is completely dependent on when people on planet Earth are watching 'The Empire Strikes Back'.

If they are watching it in 1991-2013, Yoda is seeing visions of the Thrawn Crisis, the Emperor Reborn, and Chewie's passing in the Yuuzhan Vong War.

If they are watching it in 2014-present, Yoda is seeing (spoilers for Episode 7)
    the troops of the Resistance and the First Order, a very-much-alive Chewie fighting alongside Finn and Rey, and Kylo Ren terrorizing the galaxy.

So poor Yoda sees both of these futures for the galaxy, and the future that is determined only depends on when an observer on Earth is watching Yoda's movie. Otherwise both futures occur at the same time from Yoda's perspective. Schrodinger's galaxy?

Sinrebirth and Hamawald like this.
  16. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    What do you mean by that?

17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Treat it the same way the NEU treats Legends. Because the story is just not in the slightest compatible (which makes me glad that Clone Wars ended abruptly, since the show is 'technically' part of the Legends Universe too).

18. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    I'm game for that. I personally feel it should be aborted from Legends and moved to the Disney canon all the way. Agreed. Yeah, I'd imagine they planned to pave over LOE, and don't how I'd ever recover from that.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    They already started to do it before the show was canned.

20. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    Please explain.

21. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I think TCW still should be a part of Legends. The show highlights a lot of Anakin's deeds in the Clone Wars that wouldn't have been covered otherwise, lending weight to Kenobi's reminiscences in 'A New Hope'. And the 'Fate of the Jedi' series is closely tied to the Mortis arc.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Yoda finds out in TCW that sidious is a person and is not just some thing dooku made up in TCW instead of LOE.

23. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015

[​IMG]

24. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    guys labyrinth of evil contradicted the microseries

it keeps me up at night

25. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    Actually, the microseries was based on an old LOE script.

darthosaka likes this.