main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I second this

Make it happen.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Eh, actually I liked his TCW Hunt For Ziro characterization once I read Dark Disciple, and stopped trying to key it into the old CWMMP timeline. Prior to his Deep Dark Dive in DD, he was topical rebel. The guy who loved the appearance of being the Bad Boy, and breaking the top level 'hedge' regulations, but not ever really considering breaking the core aspects of the Jedi Code. He kind of also convinced himself he was more rebellious than he really subconsciously allowed himself to be. This was why, to this point, the JC found him highly useful - under supervision, and plausible deniability.

This is a Vos different than Republic!Vos, but gets him, eventually, to a similar place. This Vos likely didn't have the psychometrical death of his parents by Vampires implanted in him, scarring him from his youth. This Vos is also more Ulic than Anakin. I find him interesting, and am curious to know if he made it out of the initial O66 assault, and if so, what became of him?

3. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Maul surviving isn't a plot hole. Not particularly well handled, yes, opposed to common sense, yes, but a plot hole, no. How and why Vizsla found the Mauls is a plot hole. It's a journey from point A to point C with no B in between. I can only assume they planned to reveal that Talzin got Maul and the Death Watch together, and we never heard that part of her master plan because the show was canceled.

darthosaka likes this.
  4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I don't really see it as much of plot hole. The brother's were weak and drifting, Death Watch happened to be in the area, detected lifeforms, and decided to have a look.

darthosaka likes this.
  5. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    The "happened to be in the area" part is the plot hole.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    How? Is no one supposed to be in space? No the odds were 1 and a million but how is that a plot hole?

Vthuil and darthosaka like this.
  7. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Plot doesn't work like that. "Random $#!@ happened" is not a substitute for filling in the details. You have to connect things in narratives. Even if an actor happens to get a new haircut in between seasons of a TV show, the writers often feel obliged to reference it, thus incorporating it into the narrative. If you want two different characters who inhabit different worlds within your narrative to meet, you need to work out a scenario of how they came to meet. It's a basic rule of storytelling. You can't have them inhabiting their different worlds in one scene and then have them be together in the next scene and say: "oh, they met", and leave it at that. Even if it's a coincidence, you have to set it up. For example, in another episode from that season, Hondo attacks the Jedi class Ahsoka was chaperoning. That is a coincidence that maybe strains suspension of disbelief, but there was a reason put into the script for Hondo to do what he did. There was a reason for that Jedi cruiser to cross paths with that flying saucer, a reason which was explained to us and which held up, which made sense. Here we have an unexplained leap from "they were lost and didn't contact anybody to save them" to "Vizsla, who doesn't appear to have been looking for them and whom they never met before, found them." Was he looking for them? Did they contact him? If not, what was Death Watch doing in an empty patch of space in the Sertar sector? Last we saw Death Watch they weren't in the Sertar sector, and they weren't outer space scavengers. In the previous episode, the Republic Army had a hard time locating a droid in a fairly limited area of outer space. And now Death Watch comes across the Mauls in the middle of nowhere when they were last seen thousands of light-years away? No explanation is given for them to be there, not even that they received a distress signal. That would be an egregious coincidence, but at least it would work in supporting the narrative. Which is what leads me to believe that something is missing -- a cut scene, maybe?

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

Random **** happens in my life.

So I take no problems with this.

Starwars is Fiction so deal with it.[face_peace]

darthosaka likes this.
  9. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    It is precisely because it is fiction that it is held to a higher standard in terms of connections between events than real life. In real life, you can get away with random $#!@; in fiction, you get called out.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

IMO its held to less.

But we can agree to disagree.

darthosaka likes this.
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    After thinking about it some, while I disliked Dark Disciple as a book, I'm actually inclined to agree with this. I don't really have a problem with TCW Vos as the "self-proclaimed bad boy of the Jedi", but who was still really a pretty normal member of the Order. He's quite different from Legends Vos - and is a good object lesson for why such recanonizations are probably not a very good idea most of the time - but in his own right he wasn't a bad character. (Though don't get me wrong, as the book went it frequently was a neck-and-neck race whether he or Ventress was being written worse at any given moment).

Taalcon likes this.
  12. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014

So is it a plot hole in Aliens that Ripley is found by a salvage crew? How about the ending of No Country for Old Men, with the car crash, that's a plot hole too? There's a difference between a plot hole, an unexplained element, or random things happening. A lot of people seem to get the first one confused for the other two.

13. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    Yeah, its not a plot hole.

darthosaka likes this.
  14. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014

I probably could have worded that in a way that wasn't as jerk-ish. Sorry about that.

15. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    A discussion on non-technical film semantics is the last thing I would want to drag a discussion down into -- it is the ultimate layman's playground, and we can disagree till our tongues crack without achieving anything. Also, I understand "plot hole" is a sensitive term, prickly, charged with the misuse it often receives. I would defend my use of it if it weren't pointless.

Whatever you want to call it, I'm talking about a gap in a narrative. There is a missing element between the Maul Bros' getting lost and the Death Watch finding them. It's against the narrative rules of the show, it's not used for comedic effect, and it's not used for some other effect. It's just A) the result of a cut scene and/or subplot to get an already busy episode to broadcast length, or B) a case of superhumanly bad writing.

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...holy cognitive dissonance.

Dante1120 and darthosaka like this.
  17. A Lovable Jerk

A Lovable Jerk Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2015
    Words fail people. Words fail. If I try to point out how poorly done and mind-numbingly wrong this list is I'll have an aneurysm so I just hope and pray everyone else is wise enough to see what's wrong with everything he listed. Also I simply don't have the time to point out everything wrong as it would take hours. So many of your criticisms are nitpicks and just so frustratingly badly done that if I were to voice my opinion on this dreadful list of 'flaws' like you use unnecessary and forced way too much, and too many commando droids? What kind of criticism is that? That's the worst bit of criticism I've seen since Siskel and Ebert called Beetlejuice a ripoff of Ghostbusters.

Also, to quote Inigo Montoya about how often you use the word 'unnecessary', You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means as a good 4/5 of the episodes you called unnecessary were necessary.

MercenaryAce, darthosaka and Vthuil like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The only reason his or her post did not get a "like" from me was because he or she criticized Bounty. That's an automatic dislike from me.

I agreed with the rest of it. A lot of stuff from TCW was forced and unnecessary.

WMIRTUTSF and Davak24 like this.
  19. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    My old thread is back!

A Lovable Jerk He/She is allowed to have his/her opinions.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    darthosaka and Vthuil like this.
  21. A Lovable Jerk

Jun 6, 2015

Not when they come off as nitpicky, whiny, and self-entitled. Like it's okay for you to bash TCW but the old multi-media project is off limits to be bashed? Double standard right there. I get that people like Labyrinth of Evil, but I honestly can only remember two things from it: Padme vomiting and Grievous killing that group of Jedi. I honestly can't remember anything else from it and I have a pretty good memory. I don't care for the old multi-media project except for the comics, and even then they had some problems like just forgetting that Alpha existed.

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Oh hold on now...

[​IMG]

23. A Lovable Jerk

Jun 6, 2015

I might not remember it, but that does seem pretty well written. The one thing I remember really liking about that book is how it portrayed Grievous.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Any poster that you personally perceive as "nitpicky, whiny and self-entitled" is still allowed an opinion.

You are allowed to believe that that person's opinion is wrong, but to state that the person is not allowed an opinion at all--on a damn TV show--or that his or her opinion somehow "does not count," because you dislike the person, or because the person could not convince YOU to agree with him or her? Really?

25. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Thanks for the defence. :)

FYI, I am male and a writing student. Therefore I am looking at this from the perspective of a writer (not to mention a huge Barriss Offee and Jedi fan).

spicer and Davak24 like this.