main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I don't know... all he did was stand around.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Of course you'd side with San. :p

spicer, Force Smuggler and darthosaka like this.
  3. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    My only knowledge of Durge is the ROTS movie guide. There's this big awesome picture of him towering over a remnants of a battlefield with a caption that lists how many things he has killed that week.

And then by the side of the page is the 03 CW series version. Yeah.

It just seems out of place for this big killing machine to be in sw. It seems more adapt to the comic book realms but maybe that was the idea. And in the 03 series (haven't seen it) he just looks goofy.

Didn't he keep dying in the Republic series? Till Anakin sent him into a sun?
    Yeah, right.

If done right yes but not done say like Bane in TDKR.

La Calavera and darklordoftech like this.
  4. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Let's keep Durge where he is. As he will most likely be ruined if brought in.

DelRiego likes this.
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Exactly. Not even The Force is THAT OP.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think it was the right choice to have Cad Bane instead of Durge because TCW's animation could not have captured him properly.

7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I only know the GTCW version of Durge.

8. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    Durge didn't show up much though, right? He was in a couple of the CW shorts, a small handful of issues of Republic (two or three?), and Obsession. Right? I think I would've been annoyed at him if he had been overused but that really wasn't the case.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    ^^You should check out the Republic comics, Zeta. It features Durge in a few issues.

^Yes, that's right.

10. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

He made a significant appearance in one(?) of the Boba Fett YA novels, where I think his background and motiviations as a centuries old anti-Mandalorian (and thus, anti-Clones) were first presented.

The de-Mandalorianization of Jango sort of takes away a key part of his motivations.

DurararaFTW and darthosaka like this.
  11. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm not sure if TCW detracts from Durge's motivations, since Satine and her group are presented as very different from the sort of Mandalorians that Durge fought back in his day. I doubt Durge would bother with them. At least the clone soldiers had Kal Skirata's influence, so they might qualify under Durge's standards. But it would seem strange if he didn't (as far as we know) try to take on Pre Vizsla.

With the 'Star Wars: Obsession' miniseries made unworkable in the current canon since TCW's take on Ventress (I know it's all Legends now, but I still try to fit what EU works aren't outright contradicted into the Disney canon), I think it's fairly easy to just sweep any other of Durge's few appearances to before his death in Genndy's Clone Wars microseries. Then we don't have to deal with the implausible scenario of Durge putting himself back together after being blown up by Obi-Wan in the Battle of Muunilinst.

12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    So I've just discovered something shocking in Season 6's "Conspiracy". Look on the left:

[​IMG]

Not only did Coleman Kcaj apparently get out of his seat, he actually left Coruscant!!

Seriously, I almost wonder if he would have actually gotten something to do for the first time ever if the show had gone all the way to the end. From what we know it would have had to be just a minor part, but still, while they did it less and less as the show became more and more focused on the four-episode arc, there were a lot of Jedi who randomly got spotlight episodes early on.

13. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    The Crimson Corsair and the Lost Treasure of Count Dooku
    The treasure is Kix of the 501st. When he awoke he babbled on about the events of the Order 66 arc as if he was captured from Coruscant shortly after those events. At least that is how I interpreted it. However the Wook has Kid appearing in The Bad Batch. I watched them when released and won't again. Does anyone else remember seeing Kix specifically? Is this an issue or am I just over thinking all this?/

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yes, you're right -- he was the medic at the beginning. I think Cody or someone got injured and he stayed behind. I can only assume Kix's capture happened sometime after that, although to be honest I bet the author wasn't aware of Bad Batch's timing.

15. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I thought it was possible that Kix could have been captured during the battle of Coruscant. Possibly during a ground battle. We know the 501st was on Coruscant just afterward. It would also explain why the Confederate ship was almost destroyed.

16. basiloregano3004

basiloregano3004 Jedi Knight

Mar 29, 2015
    Is TCW now exclusively part of the "main" canon, or is it one of those things that counts as both main and Legends canon (along with the 6 Lucas-made movies)?

Personally, I think LFL should really go the former route and take TCW out of Legends; it would keep things cleaner. TCW and the old multimedia project are both great works in their own ways, don't get me wrong, but as this board has said, there's just too many contradictions between the two for them to be the same continuity (Anakin being knighted early in the war vs. late in the war, Ventress's fate in the end, Anakin having a Padawan at all, Adi Gallia's death, etc.).

In fact, it seems that Anakin being knighted early in the war was Lucas' intention from the start, but the EU writers screwed it up. On the commentary for Genndy Wars (a show that Lucas had a hand in), Paul Rudish mentions that the montage with Anakin was meant to "cover a whole two years", even though EU material released at the time implied that the montage only could've covered a month.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It is part of canon and Legends.

Lucas approved everything. If he intended to have it earlier, he perhaps should have told the authors. No 'screwing' up for the EU authors.

No EU material confirmed the montage covered a month. The series clearly jumped from a few months after Geonosis to the RotS designs. Proof, please?

Adi survives Obsession, and Obsession has to take place between Ventress losing Savage and getting home. It fits neatly.

The few items referring to Anakin as a Padawan fit in the 7 weeks before his Knighting.

I do wonder what happened to your first account, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi Ben and darthosaka like this.
  18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    To be honest - and this is not a sentence I expected to write today - I'm with ThePrequelsSuck2. I've said it before and I still stand by it now: for anyone but a One Canonist like Sinrebirth, it hurts both TCW and the original multimedia project for them to pretend they're in the same continuity. Now that the rest of the continuity's been split, it would be much simpler to just remove TCW entirely from Legends. I don't really think any of the relatively few works that previously tried to reconcile them were that good, but any that are worth it could easily be brought over to canon in a similar fashion to how Kanan semi-recanonized something similar to Shatterpoint.

Edit: Actually, amending this slightly - while trying to reconcile the continuity issues between TCW and Legends doesn't really do any good for either, something like the earlier parts of the multimedia project must have happened in canon, since things like Ventress appearing as an opponent of the Jedi and Anakin being knighted (though honestly I'd prefer they come up with a whole new story that does this better than the dreadful Jedi Trial) still happened offscreen sometime between AOTC and the TCW movie.

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm currently watching TCW for the first time, ahead of Rebels S2 DVDs coming out, while considering it entirely part of the new continuity - in that respect, it works very well.

Taalcon likes this.
  20. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

Direct tie-in novels aside(TCW:Gambit, etc) ,and some expounding on the Mortis ideas , and the references to Talzin in DP,is there really much in the Legends novels or comics that actually essentially touches TCW? It seems you could likely extract it nearly wholesale, and allow the references to it in the few books that attempt to as just being off-screen things that happened similar to but not just as they did in TCW.

Kind of like how canon Tarkin novel references similar things to what happened in Dark Lord, and using a droid created for DP without needing Dark Lord or DP to be Canon. Can go both ways without regarding either to be fully integrated.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd say I'm not really the person to ask on this one.

22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Of course, hardly any EU touched TCW, since TCW was created after the fact and ignored or at least changed pretty much everything that happened in the EU.

Sure, the EU tried to incorporate TCW, because that was the policy, everything is canon with few exceptions. Just because the EU tried to incorporate TCW doesn't mean they still weren't trying to put a round peg through square hole.

23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Here I was expecting you to actually reply to what was asked for once rather than ramble.

Fate of the Jedi and Crucible.

Jedi Twilight 4.

Shadow Games.

A lot of the secondary material made efforts to reconcile it - the Atlas, Warfare, and Essential Readers Companion being among them.

Pretty sure Ahsoka had the Jedi Path at some point.

Mortis doesn't work... New Mandalorian arc doesn't get resolution the rest of TCW is removed... Ventress never gets closure... There's not as much overlap as we could have but there is some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. basiloregano3004

basiloregano3004 Jedi Knight

Mar 29, 2015
    I'll explain.

When there's a timeskip from Hypori to Anakin's knighting in Chapter 21, it really seemed like it was meant to jump ahead a few weeks or months, not two whole years. For one, Ki-Adi talks about the Hypori attack as if it happened recently, not two years ago. When Anakin says "I've missed you so much" to Padme, one would assume he's referring to Muunilinst, not Vjun/Praesitlyn. However, according to the EU, Anakin was knighted in 20 BBY.

TCW seems to go back to the original intention of the Anakin being knighted in the first year or so of the war. However, it seems like even that is inconsistent with when his knighting took place. One of the encyclopedias says the series takes place in 21 BBY, which would leave enough room for a lot of EU material with Anakin as a Padwan, like Genndy Wars and some Republic comics, to fit. But the book Wild Space says Anakin was knighted seven weeks after Geonosis, which barely leaves enough time to cram all those adventures in.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Finished Season 2 of TCW:

Impressions are:

Can't see why Satine is so liked, not that impressed by her.
    Teen Boba Fett - Sling him in a cell and throw away the key so he never ruins an episode again. Ahsoka should have gone looking for Sing's corpse too.

The rest was pretty smart - the return to Geonosis, Zillo Beast and a few other eps eing the best ones that stay in my memory.

Onto S3.