main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Clone Wars costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Nov 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Adding my praise for a nicely done costume. I especially like the photo of the boots with the ice blue feathery stuff sticking out....very amusing. It's a very "girly" costume.

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    iycis, you look fantastic! Really nice job! :)

3. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Thanks to all of you for the very kind words. I'm thrilled it got such a good response! I decided to do this costume since I had previously done the arena battle costume and it wasn't a far cry from that. Also it was a nice chance to use that belt for something else. ;)

-Natasha

4. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Super cute snowbunny Padmé, iycis! I love it!

5. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    "Yes, you are correct. Anakin's EP3 lightsaber is a dead ringer for Luke's EP4 one"

Well, sort of. The barrel diameter is smaller than the original and they didn't actually use a converted Graflex.

6. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Hi everyone, gathering some opinions for my CW Padme snow bunny costume.

1) Cape- thinking of using white polar fleece with a blue-ish satin lining. Yea or Nay?

2) Top and bottom/shirt and pants- from photos and cartoon, Is this a bodysuit or two separate pieces?

3) Is Padme wearing some kind of tight hood under the cape, kinda like an open-faced balaclava? I think I have one reference drawing that shows her without the cape and she's got hear head covered.

I am hoping I can go with a bodysuit-style outfit, maybe one where I can attach the hood, so it is all one piece. Can you think of any drawbacks?

Thanks,
  7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    karma, I love this costume. :)

I think that she's wearing a one piece boudysuit with an attached tight fitting hood/balaclava. Here's a pic of her head without the cape on that you've probably seen:

[image=http://www1.theforce.net/jc/icons/expandeduniverse/padme_cw_fp.gif]

You've probably also seen these, but there's a great full body shot of her without the cape at The Padawan's Guide here.

Cape- thinking of using white polar fleece with a blue-ish satin lining. Yea or Nay?
    I like the idea of using a soft fabric for the cape. I always thought that maybe a white velveteen might be nice for it, but polar fleece would also be a soft and 'warm' looking choice.
    A blue-ish satin lining sounds good too. I think one of the keys to getting the details right with this costume is making sure the cape lining and the furry trim has that blue-ish icy hue to it. So, Yea.

Can't wait to see your results. I'm sure it's going to turn out wonderful. :)

8. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks Obi-Dawn. I think I'll go with a separate balaclava/hood, since I could then take it off if it gets too hot.

I think this costume is so cute! Plus, since it has a hood, I don't need to worry about what to do with my hair. :)

9. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    Well, sort of. The barrel diameter is smaller than the original and they didn't actually use a converted Graflex.

At the time I wrote my response good images of the saber weren't available. It was still made to resemble to Graflex so you can't go wrong in using one for a costume. It's cheaper than funding your own machining project.

10. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    Now that this thread has been bumped it reminded me that I finally got some decent pics of me in that Padme costume now that its all fixed at Dragon Con. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/iycis7/detail?.dir=ddc1&.dnm=dfee.jpg

and

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/iycis7/detail?.dir=ddc1&.dnm=35ac.jpg

That'd be Nabooty_Call with my in that last pic. :D

11. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    That's a great costume you got there iycis!

12. Jinyo

Jinyo Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2004
    WOW!
    That is super cute!
    And your color selection looks perfect!
    You look great, did you do the tight head piece too? I'd love to see how that turned out.

13. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    Thanks guys. No I didn't do the headpiece. I thought I'd look pretty silly with it so I didn't make one. I just keep the hood up all the time so you can't tell.

14. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    iycis, did you use fur trim or feather-boa trim on your cape? I've only found white in either and am not sure if the materials will dye very well.

The fur trim I've found is rather expensive so I don't want to lose a lot of $$$ experimenting.

Thanks,
  15. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    Mine is feather boa. I couldn't find the correct color in faux fur. It may be easier now that its Halloween season though. I made mine last March and there wasn't anything similar to be found. So I settled for the boa. I like it anyway and it was a lot cheaper. I only needed 3 of them and they were $5/piece.

16. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    Well, it'll need to be shipped, but online is cheaper. Boas come in baby blue, sky blue and powder blue.

http://www.ostrichesonline.com/cgi-bin/store/shop?cmd=marabou-boa-index&session=3506600447

17. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks ladies!

Unfortunatly most faux fur I have come across is acrylic or an acrylic blend, so I can't dye it. I'll go the boa way if I can't find fur trim. I'm not in a rush so maybe I'll come across something.

Thanks again,
  18. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    If you want to use faux fur, you could try what Neimhalle did for her Pink Diamonds costume-- water down some acrylic paint in the right color and use a spray bottle to apply it.

Caitlin

19. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Much to my surprise, I was able to dye some white acrylic faux fur last night. I used a product called Dylon, which is labeled for use with polyester/cotton blends. The fur was made from 60% acrylic and 40% some kind of acrylic blend (couldn't read the label).

Joanne's Fabrics only had Dylon in a deep turquoise, so I bought that just to see what the result would be. The fur came out a very light turquoise, almost pastel blue. I'm going to see if I can find a light blue or a baby blue. Score!

20. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    That's great karma!
    I've used Dylon dye once before and thought it was very easy. Hope you find the color you're looking for. :)

21. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Help me decide which fur trim to use on my Clone Wars Padme cape!

This one is the one I dyed:
    [image=http://home.earthlink.net/~karma/fur2.jpg]

This one I bought at Joannes:
    [image=http://home.earthlink.net/~karma/fur1.jpg]

The fur I dyed is a little lighter than the Joannes fur and more on the turquoise side. The Joannes fur is plusher and a little darker blue.

I like them both!

22. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    I like the one you dyed best - it looks a little fluffier than the Joann's one.

23. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I like the top one too, a little more flowy looking to me :)

24. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    I really like the color on the bottom one. The other looks too green on my screen. Maybe you can overdye the other one just a little more blue?

25. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm torn. I like the color of the second fur better, but I really like the texture of the first fur more.

So, I'm no help at all. [face_mischief]

But on my monitor the color of the second fur looks closer to me. Maybe a bit darker than the animated version, but a closer match.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.