main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC "CLONE WARS DISCUSSION THREAD - SPOILERS ALLOWED - BE WARNED!",

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Adalia-Durron , Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldbenk31

oldbenk31 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    So, it worth my time to see this at the theatre and not wait then. Sometimes when you go in with lower expectations, you seem to enjoy the movie more than if you went in expecting greatness.I couldnt help but read the spoiler, it wont ruin it for me though.

2. oldbenk31

Feb 27, 2003
    I saw it last night and was pleasantly suprised-the animation and dialogue left alot to be disired but the movie itself got better as it went along. So in all I was glad to have seen it.

3. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    I think I'll just safely ignore this movie as irrelevant until proven otherwise and wait for the much vaunted live-action SW that George and Rick keep hyping up.

As my housemate JE points out, if they got a decent team to do the series (ala just poach the entire production team from Battlestar Galactica) and got someone else apart from George to help ghostwrite the script (he of course can keep the throttle of broad narrative and story direction) they could totally smoke everyone's expectations and have another huge hit on their hands.

The core of the SW franchise is still intact and can be exploited if handled professionally: but if they keep making cartoons and gimicky crap designed to sell merchandise to children, they're going to lose a lot of the fanbase and mainstream appeal of the franchise.

4. oldbenk31

Feb 27, 2003
    Cant wait until the live TV show comes out, thats going to be the bomob yo!

5. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    I recommend you give it a go. Don't expect Final Fantasy style animation, keep in mind it's for kids and don't listen to the critics.

TCW is a bit of fun and I believe it achieved what it set out to do. It's not intended to a be twisty plot that leaves you thinking, in fact I'd say it's a kind of bubblegum movie in that it's full of colour and flash but won't leave your brain numb at the end.

I must admit detractors of TCW who are SW fans are probably being a bit harsh in their reviews, if anything TCW could almost be considered better than TPM.

For myself I quite enjoyed it. This doesn't mean that I'm hangin' for the TCW TV series but I'm happy to give it a go.

As GL said, they have no idea what to do with it but they're having a lot of fun making it, with that in mind, maybe the audience should have some fun with it too.

6. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I still haven't been to see TCW (curses work) but I can't wait to see it on the big screen at least once.

The thing I think most people have missed is this....IT'S A CARTOON.

and who are cartoons aimed at? KIDS!

Uncle George said in a recent interview that he wanted the annimation style to have something like the old Gerry Anderson "Thunderbirds" look to it.....kinda "wooden" and from what I've heard that's exactly what they achieved.

Some people say "not all Star Wars is good Star Wars", well to be a real nerd all I can say is...
    "from a certain point of view"

Take TCW for what it is, a SW cartoon. Enjoy it and be thankful that Uncle George is still there doing what he loves...just for us.

7. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    I'd be hesitant to use the term "cartoon". Clone Wars (the first series) was a cartoon, but this is CG animation which isn't a cartoon per se. It's actually stylised on Anime animation and once again you wouldn't call that cartoon either.

As for the comment that not all SW is good SW, I agree that it depends your POV. For instance I can't stand the Dark Empire stuff, I think the idea of cloning Palpatine TWICE is utter tripe, but if that's part of EU lore then so be it. In the end if there are parts of SW people don't like, then just stay away from it.

8. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    I see your point....from hence forth it shall be known as CG not Cartoon.

(CG = Cartoon Graphics) :D

9. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    I haven't seen any Star Wars that I haven't liked.....

I even like the Holiday Special. ;)

Me = uber SW nerd.

10. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    The Holiday Special was classic. I watched it again only last week

11. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    I think the Holiday Special is OK ... but in someways only. It's the kind of thing you have to be prepared to watch on its terms. I haven't fully watched it end-to-end since it was first on.

For me the big buzz is seeing the deleted scene from ANH of Uncle Darth walking to the elevators - a shot that appeared in the trading cards in fact.

I also wonder why they didn't market the cuddly bantha that Lumpy owned. Now THAT was a top bit of merchandising.

The HS is also one show you can't watch in a group because the temptation to heckle it is just too much. Having said that, we once had it as a joke fill in between our Skyforce meeting and the Christmas party one year and had to turn it off midway as we didn't think anyone would care and the audience got irrate with us LOL

I also think the HS pulls in the crowds because it is so "bad" and is still the one show that some fan out there still hasn't seen.

12. oldbenk31

Feb 27, 2003
    I remember watching that when it came on TV that Christmas. Trust me with what was on back that wasnt the cheesiest thing out there. I had to wait forever to see it again-not like today where it will be on the internet a few minutes after it airs.

13. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    I saw the original ads on TV and though "OMG...STAR WARS" and I was so wrapped I couldn't sleep the night before because I was thinking "Star Wars is going to be on TV"

Then when it started I was saying "Hang on....I don't remember that happening".....yep, you guessed it...I was expecting to see the movie, not the HS.

Still....it was fun and it gave me the chance to see some of my favourite characters all over again.
    (for the younger fans....video players and DVDs hadn't been invented then so the only way to see a movie was in the cinema or on TV)

14. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    Yes father, I remember watching the special on BTV 6 during I think the XMAS holidays one year. I was enthralled as a child lol.

15. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    The HS was like Splinter of the Minds Eye when it first came out. Aside from ANH itself there was no other SW around so LordvaderFF is right, we all went nuts when the HS was being screened. By contrast we all thought that Splinter was the new sequel to ANH so we couldn't get it/read it fast enough.

When you're 10 years old you'll believe anything.

16. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Finally got to see TGW on the weekend and I must say I loved it.

It was a good fun adventure in the Star Wars universe.

The voices were great (apart from the Sean Connery Alien and the gay southern Hutt) and matched the characters well.

Great movie, can't wait for the DVD to be released and for the new series to start.

BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!

17. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    I heard a rumour that TenHD will be screening it, but I don't know when or for how long.

Yeah I have to admit that I'm keen to see it again.

18. GypsyJedi

GypsyJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2004
    Geez, is it still on at the cinemas? I really should go see it at some point.

I believe the series will be coming here in November, but the US will have it next week! So if you're a pirate you should be fine...

19. oldbenk31

Feb 27, 2003
    I saw the trailer for the series, looks like some good story lines and great adventure scenes.

20. GypsyJedi

GypsyJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2004
    It's a shame if it's only going to be shown on TenHD though

21. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    I mostly agree with the latter sentiment, and I suppose that's what makes an EU fan such as I pretty hesitant about this sort of stuff. Dark Empire was pretty gimmicky and they've spent over a decade of retcons to make it seem plausible. For some, continuity and canon are irrelevant but for some fans, such issues go to the integrity of their fandom and the enjoyment they derive from the franchise.

If they did this sort of stuff and chucked an infinities logo on it, we'd all be pretty happy, but the idea of trying to incorporate this sort of square peg in the round hole of continuity is enough to push the EU adherent to despair. (or drink....)

22. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    I believe it's because that's where a lot of Sci-fi is going. Considering Sci-fi has never been treated well by free-to-air TV, it's probably not a bad thing. So think of it, they stick it on their "secondary" station so to them it's out of their hair and yet for the rest of us (with a HD tuner) you still get to watch it.

Personally I'd go with the US downloads myself as you'll get them quicker, the quality will be better and there won't be any ads.

Having said all this I could be wrong about TenHD. It should end up on Foxtel at least.

23. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    POT said:
    If they did this sort of stuff and chucked an infinities logo on it, we'd all be pretty happy, but the idea of trying to incorporate this sort of square peg in the round hole of continuity is enough to push the EU adherent to despair. (or drink....)

Yeah that's the problem especially with the earlier EU stuff. They took the SW mythos into all sorts of directions only to find years later that they had to try and combine it all into one arc story.

I think things are probably a lot better now as authors and writers are more aware of what's going on, but there is no doubt that some really trashy stuff has found its way in there.

What I find funny is that people like Han, Luke, Leia in all the SW EU history have never had a "normal" day. Never just spent time in front of the telly or chilling out. It's always rushing from one crisis to another.

As a mate of mine pointed out. Sooner or later the main characters have to die of old age. They can't keep going on and on forever. As the post ROTJ EU stories keep going, many decades will eventually pass and even though we know that LFL won't allow it, something has to happen - unless they simply avoid the age thing altogether.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.