main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD "CLONE WARS DISCUSSION THREAD - SPOILERS ALLOWED - BE WARNED!"

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Adalia-Durron , Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Kevin Spacey was being controlled all along by Atlas.

2. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Who was actually a man the whole time.

3. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    We will meet to discuss this at the hour of scampering.

4. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Seriously, guys, let's get this thread back on track.

I was privileged enough to catch an early screening. All in all, it lives up to the fun of the franchise.
    Having both Piccolo and Goku take to the skies for their showdown represents their ascendance to adulthood; both have matched, nay, surpassed the powers of their fathers. I was shocked by Goku's use of the headbutt manoeuvre, a dishonourable out-of-character moment, redeemed in part by Goku's use of the Zenzu Bean to revive both himself and Piccolo. I found this a very moving gesture; a pleasant reminder of just how far he has developed as a character... and, I dare say, as a friend. 3.5/5

Ha ha, no, that was just my own merry little jest. I'm only making the jocular implication that a children's TV show would deserve overblown spoiler treatment.

And that would just be silly.

5. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    That is a topicAL statement indeed, Mr HappyBob. OR SHOULD I SAY KEYSER SOZE?

6. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    so, at the risk of sounding like a star wars geek....here's a fan review from rebelscum.

It should be noted that the events of the movie (and the upcoming TV series) take place between Chapters 21-22 of the micro-series: Anakin is now a Jedi Knight, the clones are still in their phase I armor, and there are subtle changes to the vehicles that incorporate elements from the films and the animated series.

In fact, the overall design of the characters that was first glimpsed during Celebration IV last year also nicely blends elements together that incorporates the live-action look of the movies, and the micro-series as well, yet director Dave Filoni and his crew have truly come up with a unique feel to the series that is fresh and approachable for those who may not be familiar with Star Wars. So much so in fact, that while the first episodes were being made, George Lucas saw the results and decided that fans should really get to see this on the big screen. And just like that, it was decided to kick off the TV series with a theatrical debut!

So, how was the movie? Actually, it's very entertaining.

First of all, this ain't your father's Star Wars (or if you're old enough, this ain't YOUR Star Wars). This is something completely fresh and new. While it does feature the same familiar characters we've seen in live action and animated forms, this feels like an all-new take on that galaxy far, far away.

The action kicks off right from the opening shot, where we're given just enough information to remember the events from Attack of the Clones, and after a brief opening sequence on Coruscant that kicks off the plot, we're right in the action-packed battle on an alien planet filled with larger green rocks. There's Jedi & Clone Troopers on one sides, and there's Separatists & Battle Droids on the other side, and both sides are taking heavy damage. I mean, you see the troops getting blown away, although it's not graphic or anything like that....it's still Star Wars after all!

Since the movie was planned to be 3 separate episodes of the TV series, there are definite breaks in the action, but the story quickly leads into the next sequence (and the next planet) without missing a beat.

The film is pretty self-contained, as far as the storyline goes. You can go in fresh withoiut HAVING to know years of backstory. This is nicely done by introducing a new female Jedi padawan named Ahsoka Tano...you enter the story through her eyes, although she is by no means the center of the action. Just a nice addition to it.

The rest of the characters act just as they do in the film. Obi-Wan is still cocky, Anakin is still whiny, Yoda is still too serious, and Mace is still too full of himself. The biggest changes in personality comes from the troopers, from both armies.

The clones now have distinct personalities, although we only get to know Captain Rex in the movie, thee is a great scene with other clones, and you can see where they are developing their own personalities and looks. This is something that was originally started in the comic books, and it's nice to see it continue here.

The battle droids are no longer walking automatons, but instead they are bascially cannon fodder and comic relief. They also have their own personalities, although it's of a much more humorous nature. While it may be distracting to some older fans, everyone laughed (kids and adults alike) during these sequences.

The rest of the cast gets their chance in the spotlight as well: Padmé, C-3PO, R2-D2, Palpatine, Yoda, Mace, Jabba, Dooku, Asajj...but the bulk of the storyline is centered on Anakin, Obi-Wan, Rex, and Ahsoka. There are even some Original Trilogy nods in here as well, but only the diehard fans might catch those little "easter eggs".

Star Wars: The Clone Wars is definitely targeted towards a younger audience, but there's a lot for older fans to love here as well. I can't wait to see it again, and then tune in each week this fall when the animated series begins.

Oh, one last thing...for those who like to stick arou

7. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    The battle droids are no longer walking automatons, but instead they are bascially cannon fodder and comic relief.

I'm scratching my head as to how that's a change. :p

Seriously, it does sound like it's a bit of a fun romp. I'm unabashed in my lack of overall enthusiasm, but I will see it some day.

8. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    I'm keen to read Karen Traviss's novelisation, which by all accounts brings a character-driven adult perspective to a straightforward children's story. Giving the job to an author known for her gritty military realism is a bizarre and oddly compelling move.

You can read a fairly interesting interview about her process here.

As for the movie, I can accept it's not for us. I'll meander into the picture theatre expecting a fun kids' movie, and will probably get exactly that.

My concern is that it's a TV pilot adapted to the big screen fairly late in the process. On the small screen, this sort of scale and budget is very impressive. It's cinematic. But put it in an actual cinema, and you lose that novelty appeal. I'm interested to see how this will be judged by "real" movie standards, since the casual moviegoer probably won't know this is launching a series.

9. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    It occurred to me just this morning what my real problem with this is: it feels so insincere. Say what you like about the prequels (and everybody always does), at least they were a labour of love for George Lucas. You can be as cynical and negative as you want about the process and the end result, but you can't argue that it was his vision, his story that had been kicking around his head in one form or another for 20+ years. But this thing... it's a cash-grab. They realised that they could probably make an embarassingly large amount of money by dodgying the first three episodes of the series into this "movie" and pumping it out to the unsuspecting public who, as HappyBob pointed out, have no idea it's a TV show. And so no matter how good it might or might not be, I can't shake this feeling of indignation and disappointment that we've finally fallen to this point. It's all wrapped up, but there's still money to be made, so onward we go. It wouldn't bug me so much if there wasn't this very transperant push to make it into An Event.

That's just my two cents, and maybe you think it's disingenuous of me, given the amount of time and money I've spent on Star Wars books and comics and all that other EU guff, but there's just something about this that bugs the hell out of me. I doubt I'd feel this way if it wasn't for the theatrical release. If the series was allowed to just be what it is then it wouldn't much matter. But instead they're pushing it and pushing it, and getting dangerously close to Beating A Dead Horse territory.

Bah, I'm so grumpy. :p

10. Luke_Sparkewalker

Oct 23, 2001
    no, that makes perfect sence BBN. And that's where my heads been through this whole 'lets make a movie outta some episodes' deal. I've heard the news stories on the main page and just shruged them away because of all the points you just listed. I had no interest to see it at the thearters.

and now, after not following anything or knowing anything other then what we hear in the trailers, it's coming out in a few days. And i'm at a lost how to feel.
    I read these reviews that say its harkens back to the OT in terms of wit and fun and no love story blah blah Prequal bashing blah blah but its still feels like a cash grab.
    I've talked myself into seeing it this week, in the hope that it's good.(just like i wasn't going to go to the toys r us midnight clone wars opening a last week:rolleyes: $200 later[face_whistling] )
    But i wont be judging it against the the saga or not even the clone wars micro series. I'll judge it like a kids cgi movie on the lines of shrek or kung fu panda and in my view it may well be better then both of them but not in line with pixar films.
    but it is weird to see t.v spots of this when back in 2005 you knew it was all over:confused:

11. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
  12. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    It's worth reading AICN's response for a much clearer perspective. The blame lies with Warner Bros, not LucasFilm, and the embargo was there from the start, though I'm sure the negative response was what encouraged them to actually enforce it.

(Incidentally, thanks for drawing my attention to the term "Streisand Effect" and the related slashdot tag.)

13. Luke_Sparkewalker

Oct 23, 2001
    so i saw it.

Yes, its a kids movie, no its not dark or deep. but it's not suppose to be. It was fun little 2 hour escape. one particular battle was great and i actually liked anakin this time. Having said that, i still wish ROTS was the last movie, it was well recieved by most critics and viewers alike and a nice send off for the series. This is taking a beating rating wise. ONE stars from two papers this morning!

But i will see it again for sure.

14. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    I wasn't intending to see it for a while (I was a bit sad I didn't get my clone armour finished in time for the preview screenings but oh well) but Matt surprised me with tickets to see it last night. It was a late screening (9:30pm) but I was still surprised that there were only about 15 people in the entire cinema, on the opening night. That said, it is Penrith so yeah.

I absolutely LOVED it! It may have been for kids, but honestly, I didn't notice that at all :p Though that might possibly be because I'm a big kid inside (and I love Disney and Pixar movies). Also could be because I <3 CLONES big time! Oh yes, yes I do! The clones were definitely the best part of the movie, without a doubt. Seeing the armour in action, and seeing their personalities coming out! Oh yay! Also seeing that they are just cannon fodder, like the droids. But yes, I loved the clones and that's what this movie was about (hmmm maybe it's also coz I've been reading lots of MAtthew Reilly and I'm loving the whole action/military/camaraderie thing).

I didn't love Anakin, but I didn't hate him either, so that's a good thing. Obi Wan was amazing! Ashoka was IRRITATING! The whole relationship between her and Anakin just felt so predictable and overdone. But then, that's probably the most obvious kids part of the movie. I honestly thought she'd die, but there's plenty of time for that.

OMG! Baby Hutt = CUUUUUUTENESS!!! Loved Padme's costumes (she has a giant accentuated ribcage, just like me <3), and also strangely now have a love for Asajj. Yes, I now have 3 more costumes on my list....

All in all, I wasn't expecting much, but I came out really impressed. I guess I'm not as hardcore a SW fan as many of you here, so perhaps that helped me enjoy it more. Though I am a hardcore clone fan, so I think that also helped.

Can't wait for the TV Series! :D

15. Otter

Otter Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    I fell asleep. I mean, I literally fell asleep.Not a redeeming thing to say about it... although I did love Jabba's tranny uncle!

16. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Good to see you still about, Otter.

17. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Anyone else read Moriarty's little meltdown over at AICN? Definitely the kind of article you write, then sit on for 24 hours before you think about putting it out there.

It's whiny and bitter, but also angry and sad. He's given up on Uncle George. This worries me.

What concerns me more is that I'm going to have this reaction, as mentioned in another review:

"Halfway through that screening I was like, 'Oh, so this is what people who didn't like the prequels felt like! I never quite understood their level of hatred, but now I'm kinda starting to get it.'"

I'm seeing this Wednesday, and currently my expectations are as low as they can possibly be.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

18. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I was going to go on Wednesday too, if you want somebodies shoulder to cry on (or somebody to rant to(. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be doing either.

19. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    I'd have thought most of the guys at AICN gave up on George about 5 seconds after they heard about Jar Jar Binks. But wow... that is one bitter, albeit somewhat justified rant.

20. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Seen at drive-in.

It's not a star wars film. It's not a prequel or part of the original series. It's an EU imagination of what happened George worked on. This was in my head as I went in, keeping my expectations low.

I didn't hate it, but no love was felt. It's an episode of clone wars that really shouldn't have been on the big screen. It was pretty and cool and it didn't lose my attention, but was much the same as a few episodes of Clone Wars animated series. I also enjoyed those.

I feel no bitterness or hated or sadness. It's pretty much what I expected it to be and more enjoyable than a few movies I've seen on the big screen this year.

It didn't tell me anything I needed to know about the characters, and we didn't meet anyone REALLY important to know.

So I'm not disappointed, and hey it's star wars, so that made me happy.

6.5/10

21. Otter

Otter Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    Thanks Goob. I needed to say that to someone who knew what it meant.

22. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Aww smeg, it seems my JarJar syndrome contines.
    I liked Jabba's son. The aurguing droids, too.

For what it really is, this movie's not bad at all. For what it's being drummed up as, it is not as good.

23. Luke_Sparkewalker

Oct 23, 2001
    i just think people are burnt out by this time period. The clone wars have been done in almost every medium since 2002, and there is only so much you can take. I agree with the reviews that state that the series is going to be a weekly jedi battle where no one dies, wash, and repeat. And that's going to get really old, really fast. At least the first clone wars cartoon, season 2 at least, was building towards the start of episode 3. This does really feel like it's just....going..somewhere[face_worried]

I'm hoping the live action series will be a step in the right direction for SW. The time period has been off limits by Lucas, new people and events can come and characters can actually be killed off.

Although, i've always wished for a Sequal(s) to ROTJ. Never gonna happen but can still dream.
    KOTOR cgi series wouldn't be bad either.

And then there is just that fact that the SAGA is done and should stay that way.

24. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    the series is going to be a weekly jedi battle where no one dies, wash, and repeat

QFT. The live-action series will be where it's at, if it is indeed anywhere at all (which I'm somewhat doubtful of). I think you nailed it, Luke: we're burned out, fatigued, weary. Tired. Sick and tired.

I enjoy the prequels, and I love Episode 3. I'm a big, big fan of the EU and love what's being done with the Legacy Of the Force novels and the various comic series that are going on at the moment. And dare I say it, I prefer them. It's like Magnus said earlier: "so this is what all those people felt like about the prequels." It's kind of sobering, to suddenly disconnect from it all so rapidly. If it wasn't such a cash-grab, it wouldn't bother me so much. Sigh.

25. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    What bugs me is that people will defend this as just being a 'kids movie'.

Weren't the other Star Wars movies we grew up with 'kids movies'? How about any of the Pixar films? Simply being a kids movie doesn't mean that it should pander to idiots. In my experience, kids are simply naive about the world - that doesn't make them idiots who enjoy watching idiot entertainment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.