Clone Wars Event Sept 10-12 2010

Discussion in 'San Francisco, CA' started by Tatooinepadme, May 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tatooinepadme Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have been contacted by Irina Zadov, who is director of programs at the Zeum, the kids museum that is at Yerba Buena Gardens, across from the Metreon. They are having a clone wars event in Sept and would like our help.
    They have a target age range of 3-12 years old. This is a hands on museum which allows kids to do editing, tv producing and other projects. They are working with LFL but right now they are just getting the use of some digital images.
    Irina needs two things. She is looking for ideas for progams and workshops that we can do with the kids. She suggested a possible costuming workshop. She had also mentioned lightsaber training. I did let her know that LFL does not allow us to do that due to liability issues but if anyone would want to do a lightsaber demo for the kids, that might work. If anyone has any ideas for programs, let me know and I can either pass them on or give you her contact info so you can talk to her.
    She is also looking for costumed and non-costumed volunteers to help with the event. She said for a large event like this she needs 10-20 volunteers each day so everyone is needed. I put her in touch with Kathy and Ed DeSilva regarding the costuming groups so if you want to come in costume, it would be best to go through the RL or 501st. However, there is also a need for general volunteers so everyone who wants to help is more than welcome. Bring your family and friends. This could be a great event that could include all three clubs where there is a role for everyone so I hope everyone who can help, will. Below is the email Irina sent me that has some more details regarding the event. I know it's a long way off but its nice that they are including us in the planning process.

Zeum: San Francisco's Children's Museum is a hands-on, multimedia arts and technology experience for kids. We envision a world where the 3Cs of 21st-century literacy - Creativity, Collaboration and Communication - inspire new ideas and innovative solutions. We believe that the success of the next generation will hinge not only on what they know, but also on their ability to think and act creatively as global citizens. Our mission is to nurture these 3Cs in all youth and families.

Clone Wars Weekend: September 10-12, 2010
    Activates: clay animation, music video production, digital graffiti, film making, graphic design, costume contest, presentations and workshops by Lucas staff and Star Wars fans!

Volunteer Time Slots:

Friday, September 10
    12:30-5:30pm

Saturday, September 11
    10:30-2:30pm
    2:00-5:30pm

Sunday, September 12
    10:30-2:30pm
    2:00-5:30pm

Please let me know if you have any additional ideas for workshops or programming!
  2. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Will (from RL) and I did a lightsaber demo as Obi-Wan and Anakin for kids at the Clone Wars event in San Jose. Maybe we can do that.

Myself, as well as a few people in SFFF, RL and GGG have film/video experience, so we could help with that too.

Bonnie from LFL is coming out with a SW craft book, and she and Terri Hodges, along with Jessica from RL all talk to each other about crafts in general.

I can also contact the local R2 Builders to possibly give a demo as well.
  3. Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight

star 3
    On Sunday the 12th I can show up in my Clone Wars costume and do whatever
  4. Taeriel Force Ghost

star 5
    It sounds like fun! I should be able to volunteer for this (unless I happen to be out of town; not sure yet when I'll be on vacation). I'm not sure on ideas for workshops... if the theme is film and creativity, then maybe something where the kids could act out a short SW-type scene? And somehow work in considerations for filming, like where cameras would go and such? Sort of like a kids' introduction to fan-film making. Sorry, I don't know much about the process myself so I can't envision the details. But I bet kids would have a lot of fun play-acting out SW scenes.
  5. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Rachel,

Did you give them my contact information? I have not gotten this event request to post to RL, but seems I should have? I saw the event request go up on the GGG boards already, so I guess they got in touch with GGG but not me for RL costumes/assistance?

If you have a direct person I should contact maybe that's the best thing to do at this point.

- Kathy
  6. Tatooinepadme Jedi Knight

star 3
    I gave her your email address at the same time I gave her Ed DeSilva's. I emailed you her contact info and if you have not heard from her at this point you should probably go ahead and email her.
  7. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks Rachel, since I have clearance from you I just sent her an e-mail. We'll see if she wants any costume help from RL. If I don't hear from her, then I guess it's up to you to see if you want to coordinate costumers on behalf of SFFF for this event.
  8. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    OK, I heard back from the Zeum and the RL is splitting the costume sign-ups with the 501st. So yes, now the RL is on board :) Thanks for forwarding the info Rachel.
  9. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Tom, you'll want to have Rachel follow up and see if she's taking costume sign-ups from SFFF, or if she's just handling the non-costumed sign ups at this point. I'm not sure, it's up to her to work out with the Zeum.
  10. Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight

star 3
    Either way, I'm confirming my attendance to this as a SFFF volunteer.

11. Tatooinepadme Jedi Knight

star 3
    We appreciate that Tom. Let me know what day and time you want to come. There are shifts that were sent so people just need to choose what shift they want. Also, if you have any ideas of things you can do with the kids, let me know and I can pass them on.
  12. Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight

star 3
    On sunday the 12th. either shift, doesnt matter

13. Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight

star 3
    I dont have many ideas for arts or crafts that I could do with them. Maybe make paper bag puppets that look like yoda or chewbacca?
  14. irishjedimaster Jedi Knight

star 1
    Are they still taking volunteers?
  15. Taeriel Force Ghost

star 5
    Rachel, how are you handling SFFF participation for this event? Would you like us to sign up for time slots here and then you'll pass the info onto Zeum? Are you going to have a post which tracks who has signed up for each slot?

What else should we do to prepare for this event? Is there anything that we need to do before showing up for our shifts? You mentioned different activities for the kids. Is Zeum providing materials for the activities? (I just want to make sure we don't show up and find out the day of the event that we were expected to bring stuff or have things put together ahead of time.)

I should be able to volunteer either Sat or Sunday sometime. I'll have a better idea which day to go once I see what time slots are being filled so far.
  16. Tatooinepadme Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey Everyone,
    If you are planning to volunteer for this event, I need your contact info including name, email, phone number and what day and time you want to volunteer and we will pass it to the volunteer coordinator. This is for NON costume volunteers. People who want to volunteer in costume need to go through the RL and 501st respectively.
  17. Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight

star 3
  18. irishjedimaster Jedi Knight

star 1
    Rachel,
    I sent the requested info to you via private message.
  19. Taeriel Force Ghost

star 5
    Rachel, could we please keep track of the volunteer sign up times here on the board as well? It might make things easier for people in the group to coordinate if they know what everyone else is doing. That way we can see when coverage is still needed, consider carpools, ect.

I'm looking at either Sat or Sun to volunteer, but thought I'd see what times are already covered before I pick.

Also, I could be wrong, but I think the times for the event have changed since your original post. Do you have an update for new times?
  20. Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight

star 3
    hey allison, your name turned red :)
  21. Tatooinepadme Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey Everyone,
    Irina called me this afternoon and said that she needs all the names of volunteers by weds. So far I have Tom, Alison, Russ and Gaby, who are all planning on going on Sunday. Irina also mentioned that due to the event in the Presideo on Friday, they are willing to take costuming volunteers that day who are not clone wars characters. So if any of you have time and want to volunteer that day, let me know. She also mentioned that as an added incentive to get people to help out, she is willing to comp people for parking and that you can bring family members in for free. I know they are really hoping for a good weekend and really appreciate any help we can give them. So it's not too late to volunteer.
  22. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    Question... isn't that the place with the green screen?
  23. Taeriel Force Ghost

star 5
    Rachel, I don't think I've said anything about which day I will go; I am still trying to figure it out. That's why I was asking about the sign up schedule earlier.
  24. Taeriel Force Ghost

star 5
    Yep. I was as surprised as you. I'd forgotten that they were going to do that for the CV volunteers!
  25. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    FYI - for any of you who are dual SFFF/RL/501s members - Irina at the Zeum is really in need of costumes badly. I understand that people want to feel like they are supporting SFFF by signing up as non-costumed handlers here, but it seems this is at the detriment to the event and what the Zeum (and LFL - I got an e-mail from Mary Franklin too!) really has a need for.

We are all one big Star Wars family, we will all be there together, so in the end the fact that maybe I signed up through RL in a costume doesn't mean I'm not going to be there with SFFF :) So I hope that some of you who do have Jedi costumes, Imperial Crew, etc will consider signing up in costume through either the 501st or RL. - please know you are needed at the event in costume and there is still room for you to sign up in costume at the Rebel Legion or 501st. There is such a lack of costumes they have now opened it up to all 501st costumes - and I bet they'll take additional types of RL costumes too.

The Zeum does not care about club alliance, the kids and families attending do not care about this either. Irina really is quite concerned she's not going to have enough people in costume, and I see there are people here who do have the costumes she would love to have but they are not signing up in costume and to me it is a bit of a shame. It is the kids and the Zeum who will miss out :(

I understand some of you thought our RL list was full, but it is not - there is still plenty of room there and at the 501st. We are probably only half full for each shift when you combine our numbers, we are not to 10 people per shift yet in costume.

Thanks so much for your consideration, I apologize if I got on a soap box here but I was kind of surprised to come here and see so many people signing up as non-costume volunteers when the Zeum would really appreciate your costumes. Why not put them to good use :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.