main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Clone Wars in 1977

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthSerta, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSerta

DarthSerta Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    Before seeing the "PT" , i imagined the Clone Wars very diferent from the ones seen in the "PT" .I always loved to watch OB1 tell Luke that he faught in THE CLONE WARS.TO the people who saw the OT first , what do you imagined the CLone wars were , according to the ( very short ) discriptionsin the "OT".

2. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    A war dealing with clones that the Jedi fought in and won.
    I was pleasantly surprised to see it as the tool used to off the Jedi and build the Empire.

3. DarthSerta

Aug 17, 2005
    I wasd supprised that at first the clones were on the Jedi side.i always thougt that they were on Palpatine´s side , in an open confrontation with the Jedi and the Republic.

4. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I always assumed it would be Jedi battling Clones from day one. I had no idea they would be on the same side until order 66 dropped. Just another unexpected turn thrown in to confuse me. [face_hypnotized]

5. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    I think many of things we "expected" were deliberately turned against us by Lucas, the Clone War being a great example. I think everyone's own pre-2002 vision of the Clone War was a traditional war fought by the jedi/republic against some kind of invading clone army. Lucas' version is thankfully more clever than anyone here could have thought up. Seeing jedi and proto-stormtroopers fighting side by side was great! I doubt Lucas himself even had the "twist" of the Clone War in mind when he first referenced it in '77.

6. DarthSerta

Aug 17, 2005
    I agree with you. Even in OB1´s speech to Luke in Tatooine(OB1´s Home ) seems to put the clone wars in a different time of the rise of the Empire.As if the war ended before( much before) the Rise of the Galactic Empire.

7. Kalio_Dynkos

Kalio_Dynkos Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    I agree as well. The movie, though admirably, showed the transition nicely from Clone Wars to Empire. My original thoughts were that this happened before and then led to the rise of the Empire. The two didn't come together in my mind until I saw the clone troopers in Ep. II. It was a welcome twist to own imagination.

8. morpha2

morpha2 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2005
    It's hard to even remember, but I think I figured it was some sort of huge scale intergalactic war that was fought on all sides by clone warriors because the populations of the planets involved couldn't keep up with the demand for "actual" soldiers. I think I pictured it occurring well within the reign of the Empire, which I had always pictured as having been in place for a long time prior to the events of Episode IV.

9. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    obviously the clones were the enemies of the republic otherwise why call it the clone wars? why not seperatist war, or droid war?

10. Obi-Dude1007

Obi-Dude1007 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 21, 2005
    I always thought that it took place a LONG time ago. But there are only 19 years from the end of the clone wars to ANH. I always thought it was about 50 years before. I also pictured it with older technology and less Jedi. (Don't ask me why. I was just a kid when I first saw it.)

11. outrider462004

outrider462004 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2004
    I didn't know what to think the Clone Wars were. Someone once told me that it was the clones of the Jedi. Theres clones were there Dark side. Once I heard the Clone Wars would be shown, that thought came back.

12. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    obviously the clones were the enemies of the republic otherwise why call it the clone wars? why not seperatist war, or droid war?

Exactly. Just like the French and Indian War or the Hundred Years War.

13. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002

I always imagined the Clone Wars to be an "analogy" of the American Civil War, one side fighting for the emancipation of the clones.

14. skyysoblue

skyysoblue Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    When I first saw the movie I never even contemplated that "clones" would refer to replicated people. I never put significance to the meaning, thinking it might be something like "battle of the bulge"

15. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    As several posters have written, I imagined it to have happened earlier than the events of AOTC, given Obi Wan's apparent age in ANH and the almost faded, sepia-toned nostalgia with which Obi Wan speaks of it, and the enthusiastic reverence and awe with which Luke views the revelation that his father fought in the Clone Wars (plural). Obi Wan's tone of rememberance now seems, upon watching the complete PT, more a personal, rather than historic one, remembering those he lost, including Anakin, and what he has personally suffered and lost.

Given the use of the plural "Wars", I imagined several sequential wars that affected the entire galaxy, much like a galatic version of World War I, the Great War that flared and was fought in many places, changing a continent and an entire generation, inspiring simultaneous fear and reverence in those who remembered and witnessed its sublime power. Within each war of the "Clone Wars" I imagined separate, but related, conflicts in different parts of the galaxy. Although not explicitly known in the films, it may be that they gained their plural name as a result of separate, but still related, conflicts across the galaxy sparked by the Separatist movement and secession of systems and the response by the Republic to prevent their withdrawal or ensure their return.

In a non-film related note, I recall the novelization of ANH referring to the "later Emperors", again plural. This made the Empire seem to have lasted much longer and farther into the past than was eventually shown in the films. I imagined the Clone Wars having taken place during the reigns of the "later Emperors" in a decadent, late Imperial phase, with the "old Republic" that Kenobi served having existed considerably in the past. As a child, I imagined that humans in the GFFA lived much longer than humans on earth given that their society and technology were so advanced. Thus, as a kid, I imagined that Kenobi could have lived in the time prior to the Empire even if the Empire had lasted for generations.

16. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
  17. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    (^that thread went into far too many directions real quick. let's keep this open. thanks anyway. hey, you can post again?)

18. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    I don't know where I had the idea from, but I imagined a lot of Jedi fighting Mandalorians during the Clone Wars

19. A_Dog_Named_Deathly

A_Dog_Named_Deathly Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2005
    I remember imagining that the Clone Wars involved Jedi fighting cloned Jedi. For some reason saw the clones as being led by a bizarro Obi-Wan :p

I was in second grade when I first saw Star Wars, don't judge me!

20. DarthSerta

Aug 17, 2005
    That´s right.I also imagined that. The first Star Wars novelization i bought it was ESB , and in this book it´s refered that Boba Fett was part of a group of commandos who were defeated by the Jedi during the Clone Wars .I always wanted to see tht in THe PT.

21. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    I always pictured the clone wars to be kind of like the Crusades (only non religeous) and a series of Battles, that were for a greater combined purpose.

This idea could also be directly correlated to Ben telling luke of Uncle Owens fear that he would "follow obi wan on some damned crusade like your father did"

I imagined them to be Jedi and others, fighting against someone (but not cloned humans, wierd i know)and it was a battle like world war 2 where it was truly good vs evil...which was why luke was so interested...

I also thought that the soldiers wore armor like Boba Fett, and Boba Fett wore the armor as respect for those soldiers.

Never in a million years did i think the clones were the prototype storm trooper, nor did i think that the clone wars were really a planned device that led to the eventual rise of the empire...

i also felt they took place years before the rise of the empire

22. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I also thought that the soldiers wore armor like Boba Fett, and Boba Fett wore the armor as respect for those soldiers.

They did, sort of. Clonetropper (and therefore, Stormtropper) armor was based on Jango's Mandalorian armor. And Boba wore the armor out of respect for his Dad, who was the basis for "those soldiers."

23. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    yeah, so that part turned out to be somewhat true, although i obviously never thought there was such a direct connection.

24. DarthSerta

Aug 17, 2005
    They were trained by a Mandalorian(according to the comics Jango wasn´t born a Mandalorian, he was Mandalorian because of his Beliefs and because Mandalorians Leader Jaster Mereel aloud him to be with them) ,But they weren´t Mandalorians.And Boba Fett´s Armor has much differences of Jango´s: it has a symbol/badge , it has some kind of rope in the shoulders , a cape , it´s more a army´s uniform than a bounty hunter uniform. That´s why i thougt that the Mandalorians were part of the forces who battled against theJedi , i always imagined(before EP.II) that the Stormtroopers were volunteers , like the Rebels.

25. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    I always thought the Clone Wars were about the Clones. You know, the discovery of cloning technology, or even the discovery of this technology being left behind by some ancient culture. I had this idea still when the Zahn trilogy came out, in which the cloning facilities on Weyland are referred to.

I imagined the Empire being the enemy of Obi-Wan in this war of cloning technology. Apparently, the Empire won the war, and Anakin/Vader chose to join the Empire in his quest for more power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.