main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Clone Wars literature and the TV series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Brenapp, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I admit, I haven't seen much of TCW on TV, but now that it's over, how much of the fiction about that time from novels and comics before the show can still fit? The only story I'm aware of that definitely doesn't count anymore is Asajj Ventress's original finale in Dark Horse.

2. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Officially, none of it's canon.

On a practical level, just about everything still fits, and even compliments the TV show, but you have to fit the show in at a certain point and explain away some plot issues. We even fit Obsession in in a way that kind-of-sort-of-mostly made sense. Search for the timeline thread I made or the old L-Canon thread for more of the retcons we made.

Beyond that, choose for yourself. I say keeping the new and old makes for a much, much richer war so long as you ignore the old dates, but Disney says otherwise (kind of).

spicer, wmu'14 and Zorrixor like this.
  3. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    While I'm upset about relegating all the old novels and comics to non-canon, I do think that it's probably best to just ignore Obsession entirely.

4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I have never really seen the point of TCW. LFL lost me at Anakin being Knighted immediately after Geonosis and having a Padawan.

Riv_Shiel and Brenapp like this.
  5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    You don't say.

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    People keep talking about TCW, so I keep offering my opinion.

7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Just put it in your sig and move on. :p

TheRedBlade likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Jedi Trial doesn't fit but I'm not sure it should.

The show ended before it could **** up Labyrinth of Evil so I still count it.

K'Kruhk likes this.
  9. Mind Riot

Mind Riot Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 25, 2013
    Jedi Trial doesn't deserve to fit. I'm not sure why it doesn't get more flack as a genuine candidate for worst Star Wars novel ever published. Yikes!

Vialco, Riv_Shiel and DigitalMessiah like this.
  10. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    The way I like to look at it the Clone Wars Multimedia project including the microseries is the The Clone Wars of the "Legends" Universe while The Clone Wars from 2008 and its tie-in material is the Clone Wars of the "NU."

JediKnight75 likes this.
  11. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    Some fans theorize that, after her stint as a bounty hunter, Ventress returned to work for Dooku, hence her presence at his side in YDR. Is that plausible though?

12. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011

No.

13. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    I've said it over and over, both the multimedia project and TCW don't work too bad if the war is extended from 3 years to more like 6 years. Some dates would have to be ignored and some items stated in each would have to be viewed as 'artistic license' or error.

Though, before 'ALL THE MULTIMEDIA PROJECT IS LEGENDS AND AREN"T A PART OF CANON" people jump at me, of course, none of the multimedia project is canon, the war really is 3 years, and TCW is the only canon. Regardless, I do think there are ways to retcon it all.

14. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    Then how do we explain Ventress's presence in the YDR and elsewhere?

15. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    I disagree.

16. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    The burden of proof lies on him who asserts, not on him who denies.

17. K'Kruhk

Dec 11, 2011
    Have them take place beforehand.

wmu'14 likes this.
  18. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    If that's in regards to me, see HEDGESMFG's post. I don't agree with everything in his post, but I feel like a lot of it can be retconned, though not everything of course. Keep in mind SW had already retconned the capture of the Death Star plans 1,000 times.

19. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Ventress doesn't even have her lightsabers after The Wrong Jedi. She's of no use to the Sith now.

20. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    No, I agree with you. It was a general comment on how the EU and its successor will coexist from now on. I meant that everything in the EU is canon until proven otherwise. That's what "all EU is non-canon but will be used as a resource" means in practice. The burden of "decanonization" lies on the works of the "new canon" -- for something not to fit, it will have to be explicitly kicked out of continuity.

The two Clone Wars projects (original multimedia and TCW with its spin-offs) generally fit together if certain things like timeline placement are disregarded. And of course, Even Piell is not the Jedi guy in Coruscant Nights.

wmu'14 and Iron_lord like this.
  21. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

I ignored the Coruscant Nights mostly because I also did feel Piell did die in the war and I didn't like the idea of Typho being in love with Padme. I more saw him being close with Dorme judging by how affectionate she was for the captain :).

anakinfansince1983 and wmu'14 like this.
  22. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    I thought YDR was pretty explicitly near the end of the Clone Wars, not long before Labyrinth of Evil.

23. K'Kruhk

Dec 11, 2011

If you wanted everything to take place explicitly as they originally were then nothing would work out.

wmu'14 likes this.
  24. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    But placing it earlier in the Wars messes up too many details in it, IMO.

25. K'Kruhk

Dec 11, 2011
    Placing it after messes up many more.

wmu'14 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.