main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Clone Wars Marketing: Seasonal or One Time Only?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by LawJedi, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I've been wondering for a while how Lucasfilm will handle the marketing for the ongoing seasons of Clone Wars. When the TCW movie and first season arrived, we were treated with a huge typical multi-media Star Wars campaign similar to the movies, Shadows of the Empire, Force Unleashed, etc. Now, we know that Cartoon Network and Lucasfilm will release this series in the traditional seasons. What we've never experienced is how the marketing will continue with the next seasons.

For example, there is an Art of the Clone Wars book coming out in a few months. Will there be subsequent "Art of Clone Wars Season Two" type books? Will the "Art of" book be re-released ever year with new entries?

What about the Visual Dictionary? Will it be updated? Or will new seasons be ignored?

2. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    In my opinion, I think that new seasons will be ignored, and the marketing for the first season was only to grab viewers for season 1. Once most people watched season 1 they will want to see season 2. The power of business.:)

[face_dancing] 1,000 post! [face_dancing]

3. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    I feel so used. :)

4. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Well, they're releasing a Season 2 release of the official Visual Guide to deal with characters not already covered back in Season 1, like Kit Fisto, so I think that some of these things will at least go multi-seasonal until they run out of things to report on.

5. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Awesome! Where'd you hear about that?

6. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Here it is. I liked the Visual Guide even if it was a little simple. They're also using pics from Season 2, and if you look at the Kit Fisto article, there's the bit with him and Plo fighting in the ship. Good indication they get to kick major butt. :D

I'm not sure if this extends to other things, but yeah. Season 2 Visual Guide, woo!

7. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Oh, you rock. Mind you, it looks like they're cheating a little bit. "Ultimate Battles?" That doesn't exactly sound season comprehensive. But its a start.

Yeah, the Visual Dictionaries are a strange delight. I've been collecting them since TPM. I was trying to explain to a non-fan friend the appeal, and was left without the words. Much like a majority of my fandom. :) How does one explain collecting Star Wars toys as an adult while pursuing a career in law? I digress. I need sleep.

8. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Aww, thanks. Just spreading the good word, you could say. XD

Well, Visual Dictionaries and anything else that expands on certain things will have some appeal to the fans because
    -It gives details on things which catch our attention, such as Force Organisations (Baran Do, Matukai, Zeishon Shaa, Jensaarai, etc.), Vehicles, or Alien Races. I'm not a collector, but I totally want to learn more about the Kel Dor and their 'chop-your-hand-off-but-offer-a-prosthetic' law enforcement. [face_laugh]
    -We often target it because it often expands on something we have chosen to become a fan of. I, for example, loved the Visual Guide for its use of Plo Koon, however brief, which set him up as a respected senior member of the council. XD
    -Let's face it. Finding out the history behind these things or just what they're capable of exactly is COOOOOOOOOL. Do we REALLY need to know every single weapon Boba and Jango Fett are packing? No, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to find out!

Ultimate Battles itself definitely uses pics from BOTH seasons and covers things that the first one didn't, for example, the Ahsoka/Ventress duel, so I suppose you could say up to two thirds of it might be taken up with Season 1 Catch-up. :(

On the other hand, hopefully Ultimate Battles will at least hint at or indicate sweet moments of Season 2, perhaps with half of its large splash pages being dedicated to future battles or confrontations. :D

Besides, I guess it's cool that they're withholding information so as not to spoil us completely. I've vowed to not view episode clips, after all. Previews with a character/narrator voice-over are acceptable, though. I'm only human. XD

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Besides the Visual Dictionary update, there will be another 3 or 4 TCW novels by the Karens. There's also another video game rumored, still more action figures, more TCW comics and digests, etc. I think you'll see TCW support continue- though it won't be the flood of film and series launch, but still a respectable presence.

10. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Same way you explain being a mod of the biggest SW board on the net while pursuing a career in law: you only reveal that information if asked directly! [face_laugh]

The adverts will definitely pick up on CN prior to the start of Season 2.

With respect to LFL's overall marketing approach, I agree it will be continual but less prominent than for the launch.

11. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    it'll still be up there beucase they are making some serious money out of it. Remember we still don't have san diego comic con, so the rest of the year, or last 4 months is still up in the air. More stuff will be released.

12. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    When does that Ultimate Battles guide come out? Wookieepedia has it listed for July 20, StarWars.com says sometime in September, and Amazon says Oct. 1. Which date seems real?

13. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    July is the date, and expect more stuff. Like it or not.

14. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    If we didn't like it, we picked the wrong fan passion.

15. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    LawJedi- Your too new on these boards. The fans here are fickled. Some will like it others will not, and still others are swtich hitters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.