main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Clone Wars Micro-series Blu Ray?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by BobaKareu, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    Is there any chance we'll see a Blu Ray release of the Clone Wars micro-series that was done by Genndy Tartakovsky? Or shoot, even a re-release of the DVD? From what I understand, it is out of print now. Just curious...

QuangoFett and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  2. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    I'm not sure it was made in HD and I doubt LFL wants to do any kind of remastering for it now.

3. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    It probably wasn't made in HD, but neither have a lot of films (i.e. the 1920s Buster Keaton films) and that hasn't stopped them from hitting Blu Ray. Granted, I don't know much of anything about remastering, but I figure that even a relatively sloppy remastering (and I mean, it's a cartoon - I doubt anyone would expect perfect picture quality) would be easy money. I imagine LFL could just advertise it as "the lost stories" or something, and kids would eat it up since they wouldn't have watched the micro-series when it was first released.

Probably a pipe dream, I guess. :(

4. XJapanRoX

XJapanRoX Official Star Wars Artist star 2 VIP

Dec 5, 2004
    I'd give my left arm for that to happen!

5. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    I don't know much about those films in particular, but most films intrinsically would have a resolution of higher than 480p if not like 4K. If the source is high resolution, it can be transferred.

As far as I'm aware, the source for the micro series has a resolution of 480p, so it would have to be completely redone or recomposited to be shown in HD. A lot of hard work that's very different from just a film restoration.

Of course, I'd like to see the micro series in pristine 1080p too, but I don't think it will happen.

6. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    It depends how they made this. Did they draw it on sheets? Then yes, it can be made hi-res. Did they draw it entirely digitally? Problematic.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'd say yes. Probably after the full TCW series is released.

Film, with a proper transfer, has an higher resolution capacity than HD. Even 8 mm films, like Keaton's short films (assuming those are the ones you're talking about).

8. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    This.

9. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    From what I watched of the extras recently when watching this for my fantasy prequels thread, they did most of it by hand but animated the spaceships with computers.

10. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I thought it was drawn digitally..

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Makes sense. Futurama has been doing this (at least when it started, might be all digital now), and the Family Guy SW specials did this as well.
    There's a lot of Disney films on Blu Ray, and those were traditionally animated by hand, so if Clone Wars was drawn by hand they could certainly do it.

12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I'll check it out again later tonight and report back.

BobaKareu likes this.
  13. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I would buy the micro series in a heart beat if it came out on blu ray

SeparatistFan likes this.
  14. XJapanRoX

XJapanRoX Official Star Wars Artist star 2 VIP

Dec 5, 2004
    This is something I've wondered myself over the years as I've always wanted to emulate their process, so I've watched as many of the documentaries as possible. Here's my take:

It was a huge mixture of traditional and digital mediums, though it was indeed animated mostly traditionally, by hand. I couldn't tell you what the percentage is, but to me, most (if not all) of the backgrounds look to be typical matte paintings, and much of the art is indeed hand-drawn and painted on clear cel paper if I understand it correctly. You can google the artwork (at least you could, nowadays you might get bogged down by current TCW production art), and see a huge amount of animation cels and pencil drawings out there used to animate and film scenes. The vehicles, typically, were 3-D animated but stylized in such a way to look traditional. It also looks to be as if some of the frames (or at least elements of them) were done digitally, because working in Photoshop as much as I do, I recognized a few brush strokes for the same standard pressure-sensitive brushes that I use myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.