main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Clone Wars Multimedia Project vs. The Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Orman Tagge, Aug 23, 2014.

?

Do you prefer the Clone Wars multimedia project or The Clone Wars?

1. Multimedia Project

62 vote(s)
    64.6%
  2. The Clone Wars

34 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Allston's books have me laughing out loud every chapter.

Iron_lord, Force Smuggler and mnjedi like this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Read Aaron Allston's stuff. Funniest stuff I've ever read.

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  4. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Okay, I think I'm starting to see the problem here. You're confusing plot and character development which are explained in the movies themselves for continuity errors.

It's like saying, "In the Star Trek episode 'Where No Man Has Gone Before', we are introduced to Captain James T. Kirk, who commands a ship in space. Yet in the movie The Voyage Home, he is stated as being from Earth. This is a continuity error as space is not Earth."

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, the biggest issue with Vader being Luke's father was Obi-Wan feeding him a load of bull**** about it and then trying to explain that away with "a certain point of view." The initial lie was understandable to an extent, but Obi-Wan in ROTJ should have just said, "I lied because I thought I was protecting you, and I'm sorry."

But it's not a "continuity error." There were a lot of those between the OT and the PT, and the PT and TCW, some of which were given some lame explanation that included the words "the Force."

FWIW, I don't care that Anakin had an apprentice, I don't see the concept itself as a problem, but the fact that she really was not used to contribute to his character development, was a problem.

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Have to look at that in more detail later. They must not have a sense of humor or something.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, that's kind of my thought.

Star Wars is srs bsns, yo. How dare anyone make a joke. [face_shame_on_you]

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Or just a very, very different one - and extremely strict interpretations of "writing quality."

Was near the bottom of page 3 (- quoted again here, now spoilered for those who haven't read the Wraith Squadron novels):

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/author-analysis-aaron-allston.22930176/page-3

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Allston cannot be taken seriously." [face_laugh]

As I said...Star Wars is srs bsns.

mnjedi and Iron_lord like this.
  11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Their idea of good SW comedy seems to be KOTOR's HK-47.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The whole Ewok/Yub Yub Subplot, Face and Ton Phanan etc are hilarious. Have you started Solo Command yet?
    The EU would be a lesser place without Allston.

13. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    HK-47 is pretty awesome.

So are Allstons characters though.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I am about halfway through Solo Command and have laughed out loud in several places.

Force Smuggler and Iron_lord like this.
  15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    JJM might be the closest equivalent, these days. If the humour of the KOTOR comics makes its way into future books, at least. I think there was some humour in A New Dawn - not really laugh-out-loud level as much though.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I'll be honest and say that while he's a good Star Wars author, I've never found his humor as great as most people. I think it was probably the best developed in Mercy Kill, even if the story wasn't his top form.

I think people can overlook how funny John Ostrander can be. Personally I think The Devaronian Version is my favorite funny Star Wars story.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    A New Dawn also made me laugh out loud in multiple places.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    What places were those? And did you think they were very comparable to Allston's best moments?

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The KOTOR comics, the Devaronian Version are all very funny. Knight Errant has its moments. A New Dawn was good in that regard as well. Skelly, Kanan etc.

AusStig likes this.
  20. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I had a gut feeling that was Sniper_Wolf slamming Allston just by the tone, and sure enough that's exactly who made those comments.

Now you know why I like Zahn, Stackpole, and Allston, because they all make me do that, anakinfansince1983.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    What the...?

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have many, I'll try to compile a list later. "Most everything Kanan said" is a pretty good tl;dr summary.

Definitely comparable to Allston's best moments.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Riiiiight like Luke didn't survive the same, because he was lucky enough to be sucked into a ventillation tube....

Okay, now to clarify things a bit I don't care all that much about continuity, okay? For me Star Wars isn't about this continuity BS, and anyone who makes a value judgement based upon how much something fits into it, has probably waaaaay to much freetime at their hands.For me Star Wars is NOT about fitting every tiny-little utter TRIVIALITY neatly together. For me Star Wars is a feeling, and the EU has very rarely -if ever- gave that to me. For me Star Wars is as much goofy as it is cool. It's as much campy as it's serious. It's twice as much fun adventure, as it is violent and dark. And it definitely has at least a glimmer of hope even at it's darkest moments. The EU is all about being dark and serious and angsty, because True Art is Angsty! And that's why it's 90% ****.[/quote]

Luke wasn't cut in half, nor did he have such a violent route downward.

24. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
  25. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Wez-whatever hasn't actually read much EU. Probably wasn't born earlier than 1999, either.