main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Clone Wars Multimedia Project vs. The Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Orman Tagge, Aug 23, 2014.

?

Do you prefer the Clone Wars multimedia project or The Clone Wars?

1. Multimedia Project

62 vote(s)
    64.6%
  2. The Clone Wars

34 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The micro-series droids just being a faceless mob (for the most part anyway) was so much better.

2. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    So I've finally decided to experience the Multimedia Project. While I've been familiar with the MicroSeries (I own both volumes on DVD), I had never read the Comics, or read any of the Tie-in books.

I've really been enjoying the comics (Republic/Jedi). With a few minor adjustments, I'm able to find, at the very least, the first 2 Clone Wars DH omnibus volumes to be great compliments to TCW. I'm reading Shatterpoint right now and really enjoying it, even though I understand it has a high probabability of being substantially overwritten with the new Story Group concept of Depa being Kanan's Master. I look forward to reading Cestus Deception (which I understand is referenced in Tarkin), and Yoda: Dark Rendevous. I'm on the fence about the MedStars, though I'm leaning towards checking them out.

Either way, I'm fully allowing the first Two volumes of the Clone Wars Dark Horse Ombnibus to substantially be my headcanon for the first part of the Clone Wars (Padawan Anakin) leading into the TCW series (Knighted Anakin).

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Vos novel further newly-legitimizes some of the adventures of Vos we saw in those comics as well.

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    The multimedia project and The Clone Wars are both well done and enjoyable.
    The first has more obedient war soldiers the other has brothers as clones.(and so on)
    But in the Clone Wars we've George's and Filonis canonical stories.

4. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Despite official canon, to me they are still all one crazy war. The enmasse decanonization got rid of all the TCW related EU as well, which is where the most blatant attempts to retcon the old EU away exist.

Meaning I can pick and choose how I make them fit wherever I like. To me they are inseparable and bits of TCW are incomplete without the beginning and endpoints established by the MM project.

In truth? I can't choose. Any time I watch TCW, I will fit it within the middle of the micro series. That, to me, will remain true canon forever.

5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The microseries lacked a coherent story until around the second half to me, it was just scenes of over the top battles, vaguely interconnected. The second half had some nice stuff with Grievous, but apart from that it was still quite lacking. The animation style is too simple for my liking and the voice acting was, honestly, terrible. Anakin sounds too much like an emo teenager, and not enough like a Jedi war hero. Palpatine's voice actor is just... bad. Even James Arnold Taylor sounds bad as Obi-Wan. The music is also jarring, combining music straight from the films and horrible new music. At least TCW had Kevin Kiner actually making interesting twists on the old themes. The whole thing was supposed to bridge the two episodes, but it just feels so pointless. What happened between the films was... a boring series of OTT conflicts.

In the end I believe TCW is far superior, telling more coherent stories, having superior music, better voice acting (even if some of the actors are the same), and expanding the Star Wars galaxy in so many more ways.

6. Saga Explorer

Mar 14, 2015
    The actor of Darth Sidious really wasn't really good,bad average I should say.
    The stories were more spread and about action.
    The actors did a good job for the most part.
    TCW had a real Star Wars feel to it and influence from Lucas.
    But I like both.

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Most people don't remember this, or don't even know it happened, but when Chapter 20 of the old CW series aired, we did not know what General Grievous was like. We didn't know what he sounded like. We didn't know what he looked like under the cape. We didn't know if he was a droid or not. We didn't know what his role would be in Episode 3, aside as one of the villains.

The only thing we knew of him was one or two rough concept drawings of his mask, and the cover of Boba Fett: A New Threat. The latter of which hadn't been released yet, but the cover was the first full-body depiction of him (in the cape).

So now imagine you know the new baddie in the next SW film is going to be on a TV show, and you know next to nothing about him. Remember the build-up to Grievous's entrance? That silent moment when all the Jedi are trapped in the downed starship, which is suddenly broken by that eerie clank-clank-clank?

When I think of the old show, that's what I remember. That's why that show was amazing. It was the perfect prelude to ROTS.

Jedi Ben, AusStig, Golbolco and 16 others like this.
  8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Tell me what the coherent story of TCW was from start to finish.

AusStig, Golbolco, Davak24 and 7 others like this.
  9. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Microseres/multimedia Grievous was really one of the greatest things ever. I couldn't believe how awesome a villain he was. Too bad ROTS came out.

10. Mmmmm Napalm

Mmmmm Napalm Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2014
    It was a bunch of sometimes connected events that occurred during a devastating galactic conflict. There didn't need to be a continual, central arc in the show.

And that's not a bad thing. Honestly, I like TCW. Yes, there were elements of the multimedia project that were better, such as Grievous' portrayal, as compared to his poor form in TCW, but I'd blame that more so on ROTS than TCW, ROTJ set the precedent.

In many ways, I feel TCW feels more like Star Wars. My issue with the prequel trilogy is that it doesn't feel like Star Wars to me, and to tell the truth, neither does TCW all that much. But I think that given the material of the prequels the TCW team was given, I think they did an OK job of reconciling that, and as a result it feels much more like Star Wars than the micro series. Yes, the first two seasons, with the exception of Rookies and maybe the Geonosis arc, were terrible, but later on the show really did improve, and I would say added to the overall Star Wars saga. It made Anakin likeable, showed the evolving humanity of the clones, and so on, making ROTS all the more tragic.

I'm not trying to convert anybody here, but I think that TCW isn't as terrible as people seem to think, at least not the later seasons.

darskpine10 likes this.
  11. Saga Explorer

Mar 14, 2015
    I am going to say it again Star Wars The Clone Wars is,was and will be a great show.
    Memorable Characters,Conflicts and Episodes.

darskpine10 and EternalHero like this.
  12. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Multimedia Project. I did like TCW and perhaps even more then the micro series. But besides TCW there really isn't much with the clone wars that interested me. What really seals it for my like of the multimedia projects were the Republic comics, as they were perhaps my favorite star wars comics run. Right now I'm reading through the clone wars novel run and so far liked it as I listened to Shatterpoint and Yoda: Dark Rendezvous via audio book and enjoyed them.

13. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I don't disagree. I love TCW, but I want to point t at the the Multimedia Project is different than the microseries. The Multimedia Project was primarily composed of books and comics, with a TV show and a couple video games to supplement it. This thread is comparing thay whole thing to TCW.

AusStig and Mmmmm Napalm like this.
  14. Mmmmm Napalm

Nov 6, 2014
    Sorry, I didn't read most of the novels included in the project, so I didn't have much to compare it to. My apologies.

15. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Well, I liked Republic Commando. Does that count as part of the Multimedia project?

16. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    The first one is, the rest were published after the project ended.

It's not a problem :). I was just pointing it out since it seems to happen often in these discussions. I was just saying it for the sake of accuracy.

I'm sorry that I was so picky on this.

Mmmmm Napalm likes this.
  17. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    So you're agreeing that the critique of the microseries against TCW is silly, then?

18. Mmmmm Napalm

Nov 6, 2014
    The critique simply needs to be rephrased. The micro series lacks depth in regards to the plot. TCW isn't incredibly deep either, but much of the micro series is simply mindless action.

darskpine10 likes this.
  19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Of course there wasn't much plot; the episodes were mere minutes long! With that runtime, of course they didn't try to tell big stories; they focused on stylish, imaginative action that could give us glimpses of the Clone Wars. It was exciting and atmospheric, giving us a taste of the Clone Wars and stirring our imaginations about a galaxy-spanning war. It succeded tremendously in doing what it set out to do, and I don't think you can fault it for that.

AusStig, Davak24, TrandoJedi and 5 others like this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Does anyone remember the micro-series era games on the Star Wars website?
    One had you playing as Kit Fisto on Mon Calamari and you fought that giant robot (from the Mon Cal episode) at the end,
    Another had the Durge/Obi-Wan speederbike battle
    And the last one was Ventress battling in the arena (I think)

AusStig, H-BOMB and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    OMG I FOUND IT!!!!

Star Wars: Planetary Forces

It requires an old shockwave plugin but OMG it's SO worth blowing Durge up after his poor treatment of San Hill!!!

...priorities...

AusStig and Force Smuggler like this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Thank you. Going to play it soon.

23. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009

Holy crap, this is amazing! It's like I'm 8 years old again, sitting at my local library.

I think I've found what I want to do in this world: Rescue old flash games from internet death. Y'know, really help people!

24. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021

THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH, AND IF YOU DON’T THINK THAT IT IS, WELL, THEN YOU’RE WRONG.

AusStig likes this.
  25. President Bossk

President Bossk Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2019
    I've enjoyed both of these quite a bit, but if I had to choose I would go with the multimedia project, mostly due to the Dark Horse comics coming out at this time. The Quinlan Vos stories were great, and had a cool premise with "What you pretend to be, you sometimes eventually become". Shatterpoint was one of the best SW novels I have ever read, and the micro series was pretty entertaining. The whole story also fits better between II and III. Anakin having an apprentice during this time that is conveniently never mentioned in ROTS is kind of far fetched. The Dark Horse comics are what really makes me prefer the multimedia project though, if it were just the microseries and the novels I would pick SWTCW for sure.