main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary CLONE WARS Promotion help requested!!!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by PreludeRM, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TapeTrooper515

TapeTrooper515 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2007
    Yeah, knowing the day of the baseball game will help. If it's on the Tuesday, then I will need to change my shift at work.

2. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    We would only be 'working' one of those baseball games. And as soon as they let us know which one, it'll be posted ASAP.

3. jacksonfett

jacksonfett Jedi Youngling

Mar 4, 2008
    Ok, im back in hahahah i can manage a day for sure... ill be my stromtrooper. ill need a jedi body guard, because the troopers vision sucks! :(

4. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    We would only be 'working' one of those baseball games. And as soon as they let us know which one, it'll be posted ASAP.

5. StacyD

StacyD Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2006
    Well, have fun guys. Anybody needs me I'll be in the line, with my line shirt, ready to see Clone Wars on the 15th. Y'know, like we'd planned on doing as a group.

I still love Star Wars.

6. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    I can do the afternoon of the 5th, but I'm off to Kelowna on the 6th, so depending on the dates I may or may not make it out there.

7. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    I sense much costume angst. These promo events are a week before the release on the 15th, and should not affect anyone's line attendance.

8. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    True, we planned on seeing it as a group (even the entire group won't be attending the first day), and this opportunity has thrown a bit of a wrench in the original plan. I know it doesn't change my plans at all - I still plan on lining up day one and seeing it - no worries there :).

It does suck that not all of us may have to opportunity to attend - but is it fair to ask everyone to boycott the event entirely? Besides, you never know what could happen - there's still over a week to go ;)

I know some of the radio stations are running auctions (with their membership/point plans) for Clone Wars passes, as I'm sure the Herald will (I always see the ads in the paper for movie contests).

9. TapeTrooper515

Feb 5, 2007
    I don't know why going to the preview would make anyone not go to the premiere. I know I will still be in line on the 15th!

10. jacksonfett

Mar 4, 2008
    dido... ill be there in line also on the 15th.

11. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    I think this event should be promote as a rebel legion event not a calgary fan force event and also some members maybe alittle sick of the costume aspect taking priority sometimes. Sure it sucks if everyone can't go but if you come on the 15th don't brag about it to the fans that couldn't make it.

But that's my opinion.

12. PADAWAN-JOHN68

PADAWAN-JOHN68 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2008
    count me in for both events !!!!!Great!!!!!cool also recorded the commercial from the clone wars. let me know the times and places were we have to be for this events

13. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    It won't affect line attendance but it just taints the whole experience in my opinion. Like somehow my fandom doesn't really 'matter' because I don't have a costume. I'm not saying that I don't admire the hell out of people who do costume, it just feels a bit like a slap in the face from the powers that be.

I freely admit that when I heard about this I was severely ticked off, but if people want to go for it that's entirely their choice. But at the same time I also won't smile and nod and go for the usual okeydoke because that impression is still out there, it still annoys me and if I can't be honest with my friends about how I'm feeling what kind of friend am I?

~StacyD

14. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Those powers being Lucasfilms/WB I would think is what you mean. But hey fun times ahead for star wars and that's really what matters.

15. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    I understand what you are saying but what WB/Lucasfilm wants is the people who are going to the advanced screening to have the best possible SW experience possible. And if that means having people dressed up as SW characters all the better. It's not saying that your fandom doesn't matter. They just want people to have the best possible experience. You know damn well that none of those people will ever go to a C5 or such, the closest they come to any convention would be the Comic & Entertainment Expo. This is a way to get people back into Star Wars who were not always into like us.

16. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    Guys,

Let me state for the record that I bear absolutely no one any ill will in the FF. You guys are all aces in my book and if anything I said offended you personally I truly, sincerely apologize. Rationally I know that the WB wants to get people hyped about the movie, that they're not doing anything out of malice but simply want to do what's best for the film and to get people excited. I said what I said in a moment of heat and I am legitimately sorry that I did. That was not cool and I accept whatever consequences that entails. I merely reacted to how the situation felt from my perspective. In no way do I want anyone here who has a suit to feel bad about their chances of getting a chance to see the movie early. You guys are the best group of friends I've had and I want you to know it means a lot to me to stand shoulder to shoulder with such good company and be counted one of you. I got angry, I cooled off, and I apologize. Hopefully now I can get back to being an all-purpose geek and steer clear of Dawson's Creek for a while. :p

Sincerely,

~StacyD

17. jacksonfett

Mar 4, 2008
    Its all good...
    I think people have different outlooks on things. I totally get what people are saying, personally im going for the trooping factor. Its great you get to meet new people and make others happy in the process thats how i met Raelyn, Kent and Michelle. We stuck together at the Stampede breakfast and it was awsome i had a great time.

That goes the same with any troop do i expect anything?... no...
    Im sure others in costume can say the same, and if your going to any event in costume thinking its "WORK" or "you'll be rewarded" your going for the wrong reason.

As for the screener thing, its like and added bonus i suppose but inst the main draw for me. I just enjoy making people smile, getting mobbed by kids and meeting new people, and i get to geek out doing it!...

18. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    I think this falls in line with something that has been bugging me for a while as well, but Stacy voicing his concern activated it I suppose. The Fan Force is not a costume group. It is a fan group that happens to have some members with costumes. The Rebel Legion, 501st Legion, and Mandalorian Mercs are costume groups. These are the groups that should be contacted for costumed events, not the Fan Force. Since there are so many overlapping members, I can see why organization of events just happens on the FF boards, mostly because its convenient and can reach more people at once, but it just doesn't quite fit when an event that should be meant for 501st, RL, and Mercs is announced on FF boards.

19. jacksonfett

Mar 4, 2008
    That totally makes sense..
    If things go into lottery mode i bow outta my spot someone else can have it. I can use the time to work on my deck i suppose and i can wait till the 15th.

20. AaylaIsMyWife

AaylaIsMyWife Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2007
    I don't think it's really fair to say that just because we aren't a completely costume-focused group that we can't be contacted to do costumed events. And honestly, it would be far easier to get a significant group of FF members out in costume than it would if they were to go to the 501st (which, if my understanding is correct, they did, and the 501st turned the opportunity down.)
    I certainly don't need any elitist group to approve my costume, I know it's good. Frankly it's about having a love and passion for Star Wars, not whether or not the scuffing on my boots is accurate or if my helmet isn't quite the right color. I don't appreciate any other group looking down on the FF just because we're NOT costume focused; I know members of the FF who could destroy any member of the 501st in Star Wars trivia any day.

21. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    There are threads promoting games nights; not everyone is a gamer

There are threads promoting lightsaber class; not everyone has signed up for those

There are threads for costume events; not everyone has a costume

There are threads on vintage collecting; not everyone collects toys

There are threads on EU novels; not everyone appreciates the EU

Not everyone here is a member of the "Official Fanclub" but those that are get perks at official events like Celebration.

Through all of that, NO ONE is a bigger or better fan than anyone else. Ones Fandom can not be quantified.

22. TapeTrooper515

Feb 5, 2007
    Well said. I'm sorry to see that this is becoming a divisive issue. In a few weeks it isn't going to matter who saw Clone Wars first, and I hope we will all be equally excited about the 15th whether we've seen the movie or not.

The whole issue of costuming, on the other hand, is an issue that has always and will always be around. There is never going to be one answer that makes everyone happy. The most important thing is not to let it get in the way of what matters.

23. jacksonfett

Mar 4, 2008
    Well said, Fan first so lets not forget.
    I guess Im out :( i spoke to my dad looks like ill be working on my deck:( Good luck everyone.

See you all on the 15th for the blue mob squad!... do we have plans setup for that one yet?

24. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    [image=http://calgaryfanforce.com/images/fan.jpg]

25. darth-paul-

darth-paul- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2004
    I am sad because I am out of town the weekend of the preview. Also, my costume isn't that good. I will see everybody in the lineup.

Darth Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.