main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series --Clone Wars Season 3 Premiere Trailer Discussion--

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by IG_2000, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    We got a lot of Obi-Wan in the Mando trilogy, but otherwise he wasn't around too much, particularly in the 2nd half of the season.

We had 2 whole episodes basically just with Ahsoka and Barriss, one with Ahsoka and Tera Sinube.

Senate Spy had Anakin for a little while. Senate Murders didn't have Our Heroes.

Zillo Beast was mostly Mace and Anakin, and then in the last 3 episodes, we don't even see Obi-Wan.

So Obi-Wan isn't in half of Season 2. Anakin is obviously in more but still isn't in about 1/3 of the season.

2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Both the senate episodes threatened Padme's life. :oops:

3. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    That's rather unfair. EVERY episode threatens the life of whatever protagonist who's in it, be it Anakin, Obi, Ahsoka or Mace. That's the MO of an adventure series. The problem with Padmé in Season 1 was that she was being captured time again, which became quite silly. That didn't really happen in Season 2.

4. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    She did get captured, but it was some silly moment when that Rodian aide grabbed her by the neck. That's always a common thing, too, in TCW. But, if they always keep threatening the life of Jedi or someone that appears in later canon, then there's absolutely no tension.

5. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Well, I wouldn't consider being held at gunpoint for a few seconds, captured, but all right... As for threatening the life of immortal characters... well, that's prequel era in a nutshell, what can you do?

6. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    The writers aren't trying hard enough to make it seem these characters don't appear in later canon. While we know they do, they can put them in some sort of situation that is meaningful, and has tension. Instead of reaching out, holding some guy by the neck at gunpoint, which is always a common thing they do, they should do something to make it seem this character who appears in later canon might actually die here. The PT had very little good moments, but sort of failed to hype up the tension.

7. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Too much. This is technically about the Clone Wars, the Skywalker Saga is technically ended with the release of ROTS five years ago. If LFL wants to really impress me, they need to make more episodes like Fatal Trackdown, focusing on nothing but non-movie or peripheral-movie characters.

Not if you add more regulars to the cast. They started with Ahsoka, but they need more than her and a few named clones, plus one pirate and one Mandalorian.

There's nothing that can't be done when the focus is off the movie characters altogether.

8. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I agree about the Skywalker saga having ended. Given that, I actually like to see him and Ahsoka more, rather than just Anakin (as we have in quite a few episodes this season). I know that a lot of people are complaining about Ahsoka, but at least her presence forces Anakin into a mentor role, and thus we get a different spin on the Anakin Skywalker character.

IMO: If they're just going to put Anakin in an episode, with Ahsoka nowhere to be seen, I would rather they just replace Anakin with a character like Eeth Koth, Saesee Tiin, Aayla Secure, or some other character who was not developed at all in the films.

If I remember correctly, when the television show was first coming together, wasn't it supposed to be mainly about following a new master-padawan team? If they are going to deprive Anakin of his padawan for so many episodes, then they might as well just replace Anakin for those episodes, so that we can see something new.

However, I do want to make it clear that I'm not completely against Anakin appearing without Ahsoka around. In Senate Spy for instance, it was necessary that Ahsoka wasn't around, in order to develop Anakin's attachment and jealousy issues. I just think that such instances should occur sparingly.

9. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Yeah but the problem is that the PT was a general waste of time for such great characters as Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin (and Padme), so it's fun to be able to see them in better roles....particularly Anakin, the TCW version is >>>>>>>>>>>>> the PT version.

10. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    For many reasons for me, PT Anakin > TCW Anakin. Sure, I didn't really appreciated him in AOTC, but he was gotten much better in ROTS. I really don't like Matt Lanter's bland voice or his portray of Anakin.

11. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Yet you like the PT Anakin?:confused:

12. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I was a huge PT defender and in fact, previous to LACWAC, 90% of my posts were in the 2NS/3NS forums and the later PT forum.

But I was watching AOTC and ROTS a few months ago for the first time in a while, and I was really struck by how terrible Hayden Christensen was. Not so much physically, because I think he did a great job with the combat & body language.

Whether it was him or Lucas' direction or the script or a combination of all three, it really just ruined a whole bunch of AOTC and ROTS scenes.

He is definitely much improved in ROTS, particularly in the last 2/3 of the film, but still could have been much better.

From some of the Lucas comments, it seems like he was really enjoying the TCW/Lanter portrayal of Anakin as more of the rogue/hero character and even mentioned he had some regrets about not being able to show that side in the PT films.

13. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm just waiting for Lucas to throw another curve ball and give Obi-Wan a new apprentice, as Obi-Wan seemed to be expecting one in the TCW film.

I'm actually surprised that we haven't seen more padawans, aside from Vebb (KIA) and Barris. With the Clone Wars going on and with the Jedi seeming to go through accelerated training, I would have thought that it would be all hands on deck as far as assigning padawans to masters.

Giving another main character like Obi-Wan a padawan might be pushing it. But I think it would have been (or would be) interesting to see someone like Mace Windu with a padawan, or Aayla, or even Yoda.

14. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    I would love to see Mace get an apprentice, he/she could be a direct foil to Ahsoka and it could lead to a battle ideologies between Windu and Skywalker. I thought we may have gotten this with Barriss, but she turned out to be more a buddy then a rival.

15. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    That was my thought as well. Given Yoda's line in AOTC of even some of the older Jedi being so sure of themselves, I thought it would be interesting to have Mace's firm skepticism and mistrust of Anakin carry over into a Padawan that could be a source of conflict for Ahsoka. E.G. Mace's padawan talks negatively to Ahsoka about Anakin, when Anakin isn't around, etc. The kind of pretentious person that angers Ahsoka and brings out her negative emotions, which would only reinforce Mace's belief that Anakin is not a good mentor to her.

16. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    Yeah, that would be interesting to watch.

17. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Not really.[face_peace]

18. AvadaKenobi

AvadaKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 2, 2009
    That's one of my regrets as well, only because I think Hayden really would've pulled off that side of Anakin well.

As I've said before, it's not that I don't like Matt Lanter as an actor--I think he's pretty good at what he does and I've even watched 90210 to catch him, I kid you not, lol--it's just that he...I don't know...doesn't feel like Anakin. I can't really explain why; I can't exactly put my finger on it. It feels like Anakin's temp came in to fight the war and the real one is just on vacation or something. ;)

I don't dislike TCW!Anakin, but...I don't know. Compared to Obi-Wan, Mace, Padme, Palpatine, Yoda, etc., he just feels too different from the live-action character. I've probably thoroughly confused everyone since I really can't explain my feelings myself. [face_laugh]

19. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Yes, really.:cool:

Ahsoka: "I know what I'm doing!"
    Windu-adawan: "No, you don't."
    Ahsoka: "Yes, I do!"
    Windu-adawan: "You have attachment issues."
    Ahsoka: "I like Artooie!'
    Windu-adawan: "You put too much faith in a droid."
    Ahsoka: "That little droid and I have been through a lot together!"
    Windu-adawan: (rolls eyes and acts aloof)

20. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I'm taking Garth's side on that one. [face_plain]

21. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Let's not over-exaggerate and distort reality. There are a few very vocal, highly-opinionated individuals who frequently make their disapproval of Ahsoka well known.

The fact of the matter is that she is far and away the most popular character on TCW evidenced by:
    1. Her increasingly prominent role in the upcoming season 3 as the trailer clearly shows.
    2. Ashley Eckstein being made the pitchwoman for a new line of clothes targeted towards female fans.

I think that as SDCC and Celebration V rolls around, we're going to see a lot more of the spotlight being shined upon Anakin's audacious, togruta padawan.

22. Jaden_Starkiller

Jaden_Starkiller Jedi Youngling

Nov 24, 2009
    I agree. And I hope to see Ahsoka have a huge part in season 3, and beyond.....

23. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    To me, the entire series has been nothing but firefighting the negative backlash against the Prequels, and doing a decent job of it.

- Characters that were annoying/badly acted in the Prequels? Changed or gone.
    - Lucas having too much to do with directing and doing a bad job of it? Bring in a series director and individual episode directors.
    - CGI looks fake? Make everything CGI.
    - Prequels didn't feel as enjoyable as the Originals? Make a series in the spirit of the originals.
    - Leaving a legacy of three good films and three disappointments in the series? Make a legacy of one or more tv series to complement (or overshadow) the films altogether.

With all that in mind and two seasons done already, they should now focus on expanding the series further. Taking the focus away from the staple villains was one step, taking away focus from the Skywalkers and collegues was another, but I truly think the show will shine if they take more risks and focus more on the war around the galaxy, and less on the war around a small set of characters. As improved as season 2 was over season 1, there was ALOT of recycling going on, both in terms of locations and characters, imho. The worst part was the blatant "homages" to a dozen different shows and films from the last 60 years of pop culture. It kinda went overboard at some points and I hope they rely less on that tactic in future seasons.

24. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    Really, when did he mention this?

25. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Ahsoka being the "most" popular character is your opinion or those rare Ahsoka fans opinions, rumblewagon. Ahsoka is a poorly written character. I still have no clue as to why you like her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.