main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Clone Wars Series 2: only 2 good scenes?!?!

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AJSkywalker, Nov 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJSkywalker

AJSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2005
    Hi Guys! Sorry if this has already been discussed. I wanted to point out some things in Star Wars Clone Wars series two. For one, I HATE the second series! However, I have a few favorite parts that make it worth watching. First, I like when Anakin becomes a jedi. I get goosebumps every time I watch it. I mean yoda cutting his braid off is cool. Also Anakin's vision is AWESOME! I watched it on Cartoon Network and it was freaking sweet! But besides that there is hardly any good parts. Shaak Ti fighting is ok but not very intresting. What do you think?

sorry if this has been discussed

2. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I'd say it's got a little more than 2 good scenes, but I'll agree that Volume 2 is no-where near as good as Volume 1. Which is a shame because it shows how good Volume 1 could've been if they used the 5 Chapters of 12 minutes instead of 20 chapters of 3.

The whole Nelvaan storyline just didn't interest me, and Labyrinth of Evil's take of how Palpatine got captured was far more interesting (I was disappointed when I never saw Kit and Mace duel Grievous on the train-top). So the scenes with Shaak Ti, Rorron Corrob and Foul Moudama weren't fantastic either for me.

The parts I did like, however:

Chapter 21: ARCs taking on Grievous, Anakin's knighting.

Chapter 22: Seeing the many battles on the Outer Rim, Dooku training Grivous.

Chapters 23-25: Yoda, Mace and the Clones fighting on Coruscant, Saesee Tiin fighting in space.

3. AJSkywalker

May 12, 2005
    Yeah. When I think about it you are right. I do love when you get to see Yoda and Mace fight alongside each other. Together they are like unbeatable! But I also HATE the Nelvaan timeline as you said. The only good part is when anakin has his vision. It shook me up the first time. Cause you see how his anger continues to grow. Oh and one mistake I caught in that scene was when the little hyroglyphics warrior supposed to be anakin has his arm cut off, it's his left arm. You know anakin's is on his right. But it's cool because you see his arm/anger killing everyone he fought to save and then finally killing his like love/wife. And at the end you also see how he is in like torture before he becomes Darth. Touching. And one other thing...I agree. I also wanted the duel with mace, kit, and Greivious on the train. However the scene where they are like dodgeing the trains is kinda cool.

4. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    I admit that the Nelvaan story-arc is a little out of place, but the Coruscant scenes are just awesome, although not the same as LoE. I justed loved the scene when Palpatine was stepping back watching the two Jedi attacking Grievous in the bunker. A great animation of his face! You can actually see, that this was his plan.

5. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    At least Volume 2 actually has something called a story, heard of those? Volume 1 was just mindless action.

6. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The series was good, the Nelvana thingy was off. LOE was not that great of a novel, I still can't quite believe that so many fanboys on this site consider that stuff good. It's so contradictory to ROTS. GG came out looking like a Grand Admiral Thrawn reloaded. In the movie he was a cowerdly cowerd. I think Nevile from Harry Potter would have kicked his butt. I prefer the cartoon over the novel or comic books any day. In fact, movies, tv series, animation and video games are the mack daddy. The star wars novels always seams to be off and the comic books are just too staticky compared to the fluidity and quick availability of the above mentioned.

7. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005

I rather like the mindless action. Master.

Emporer Gerner Dark Lord of the Sith

8. TheWookiee

TheWookiee Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 2005
    Mindless action actually gave Volume I its charm. It was a break from constant storylines, and gave some of those OT purists exactly what they wanted: Star Wars set during the PT era, with a lack of story. But story gave Volume II its charm.

9. AJSkywalker

May 12, 2005
    It was a heck of a lot freakin better than a story so bad i'd rather have my gums scraped than watch it. The nelvaan warrior crap was a discrace to star wars!

10. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    On the contrary, I believe the short format was actually the strength of the first season. It forced the animators to focus only on what was absolutely necessary to move the story forward since they didn't have time to waste. The second season, with its longer episodes, needed more padding to fill out each 15 minute segment resulting in a less tightly nit narrative.

11. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    When watching each chapter individually, then yes the short format can be a strength. But when watching them all together, the "movie" seems far too choppy. I would've easily dropped Chapters 5 (though technically that's now Chapter 4), 6, 7, and 12-16 (despite the fact that 12 and 13 are among my favourites) so they could focus on making one continuous storyline on Muunilinst. This would allow space for some more characterisation, and the ability to edit the chapters together better to make them flow more lightly.

Volume 2 doesn't suffer from this problem as much, as all chapters flow well back-to-back.

12. ZombieProblems

ZombieProblems Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2004
    i have to disagree. i love Vol. 2. it feels more like a fully fleshed out story than Vol.1.
    Vol 1 is more like a series of loosely connected vignettes or commercials.

Vol. 2 is poignant AND action packed!

13. MystikalMaceWindu

MystikalMaceWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2005
    I'm mixed on this, I'm going to have to watch it again, but right now I'm thinking it's not as entertaining as Vol. 1. Yes, it is more fleshed out, has more time to breath, but some moments just aren't that interesting. Movies can be both fleshed out and interesting (trust me, I'm one to enjoy those movies, movies that others call boring because they're not chockful of action scenes), but Vol. 2 just doesn't feel as interesting -- and it is a cartoon, not a live action movie -- and it's not like anime either which can be downright serious and dramatic and succeed at that.
    I do agree about the Nelvaan chapter, that just didn't feel like Star Wars. It felt like it was coming from an entirely different cartoon altogether. It reminded me, unfortunately, of those old "coming of age" fantasies from the earlier portion of the 1900s, in which the male lead encounters a "foreign" and "tribal" culture/society and uses that as a springboard to finding himself. Feels very old, very UN-Star Wars. And that's the problem. I'm watching that, and thinking, come on, let's get back to the Sci-Fi, the Star Wars world. Even if they had just mimicked Luke's journey in ESB on Dagobah, that would have been better. As that chapter, I just waiting for a sign of some Jedi Starfighter, or saber... I think it was a bad idea that should have been shelved. Sure, I understand, they wanted to have a change of pace/tone/feel, but it ultimately wasn't well done. Felt too cliched to come off seeming like Star Wars.

14. TheWookiee

Oct 8, 2005
    Well, the Star Wars films themselves are chock full of cliche moments themselves, though.

15. MystikalMaceWindu

Feb 18, 2005
    I sensed I should have elaborated about that "cliched" comment of mine, but I thought my overall post (as long-winded as it was... heh) got my point across. Yes, SW is full of cliche, but most of it fits, and feels like the Star Wars world. Perhaps I need to know the motivation/thought behind the Clone Wars makers use of Nelvaan and such, but as it looks, again, it's yet another coming of age story, in which a warrior goes to a "mysterious" or "foreign" culture and engages himself in their tribal ways to learn. It's a story that's long been done in many a books, movies, TV shows, etc. And that's fine, but my MAIN POINT is that it doesn't feel like Star Wars. Most everything we see in the movies, books, etc. feel like Star Wars. Even in Sith, when they go to other planets than the ones we're used to, it feels like SW. So that's NOT the problem.
    And i'm throwing this line in as a preventative measure -- but I'm not one to be against NEW or even different things (see my other posts and you'll find me to be a flexible person).
    but MY OPINION is (and YOURS can be different, that's fine, just in case you have the desire to argue over matters of taste/preference, I'm putting that out there to say to do so is pointless, and I'm not going to engage) that the whole Nelvaan chapter doesn't feel like Star Wars. It's not bad, but it's an overdone story, again, seen repeatedly (and even now) in everything from movies, TV shows, sitcoms, books, magazines, etc., and seems to detract from SW rather than add to it. It'd almost be as if they put in King Kong's story into SW. The segment might be interesting, but it wouldn't fit.
    so hope my point is clearer now.

16. SBD-518

SBD-518 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2005
    Im sorry for my ignorance. What happens at the end of Vol. 2?

17. TheWookiee

Oct 8, 2005
    The Battle of Coruscant begins.

18. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    And Obi-Wan and Anakin are summoned back to Coruscant to help, which is why they arrive late in ROTS.

19. ZombieProblems

ZombieProblems Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2004
    i see what you're saying about the Nelvann segment, but I think it works as a foreshadowing of Anakin's fate...

the great thing about the Nelvann sequence (imho) is that the Nelvann men have all gone through a process not unlike what Anakin experiences through his extremely poor choices -- they were twisted into a group of deformed cyborg monsters. it's not exactly the same as Anakin's fate (he made the choice to follow his dark path whereas they were forced into it) but, nevertheless, it's meant to elude to it (imho)...

in addition, the part in the cave was brilliant! great forshadowing of what Anakin is ultimately going to become -- a monster; a destroyer; murderer of the innocent...

i only own Vol. 2, but maybe i should pick up a copy of Vol 1 as well...

20. MystikalMaceWindu

Feb 18, 2005
    I just watched Vol. 2 again, and I like it more. And I can accept the Nelvaan segment, even though overall, it doesn't feel like SW.
    I do especially like when Anakin destroys his robot arm.
    I really dig Mace Windu's purple Jedi Starfighter, very cool.
    Same with Saesee Tin's armor.
    Love how Mace crushes Grievous' torso.

And yes, you gotta get Vol. 1. Vol. 1, if you haven't seen it, is more like quick jolts of drama/action while Vol. 2's chapters breathe more.

21. BuriedAlien

BuriedAlien Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    I thought the "lunch" scene was priceless. Anakin having a little fun at Obi-Wan's expense.

How *could* he eat that stuff, though?

[face_laugh]

22. MystikalMaceWindu

Feb 18, 2005
    Anakin grew up on a steady TV diet of old "Fear Factor" reels. :)

23. BuriedAlien

BuriedAlien Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    Much fear I sense in him...

24. TheWookiee

Oct 8, 2005
    HA! That should have been enough proof of his fear to Obi-Wan right there! :p [face_laugh]

25. MystikalMaceWindu

Feb 18, 2005
    heh heh.
    Funny, when I mentioned Fear Factor, I didn't even think about the whole FEAR issue... I was more thinking about how perhaps Anakin practiced eating bugs and other disgusting things...
    but Fear Factor does fit Anakin doesn't it? he sure has a HIGH Fear Factor..... but then again, don't many of us??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.