main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Clone Wars Series on DVD/Blu-Ray- What form will it take?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by JediOverlord, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Agreed. If they charged any more than $30 or $40, I would not be buying this. Which is saying a lot, considering how much I love the show.

$20 is the right price point. $40 is fair for a full season, and $20 is fair for a half-season. I am fine with this.

2. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    I am going to be furious if that is true about the first release not being on Blu-ray. The movie looks amazing on that format, and I am basically only buying high def these days.

3. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Yep, me too. No Blu-Ray, no sale.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Smaller releases for animated shows tend to be aimed at kids (though obviously I think the show here is aimed at a broader audience).

I would speculate that the half-seasons are not coming to Blu-Ray, but that they'd instead wait for a full-season boxset release that would be aimed at the older audiences who would have better access and appreciation to Blue-Ray.

5. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    The $20 price point is very fair and falls in line with other animated Warner releases of half-seasons and [adult swim] shows. I'm sure during the first week or two the price will be $15, well worth eleven 1/2 hour episodes. A case of doing this wrong is Family Guy, in which each recent release has contained 12 episodes and retails for $40. >:~(

6. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Darth_Harmon- Man I agree, I felt robbed with the Family Guy set. Man how do you spell "Shaft" on that one.

I'll buy it, and most of you will too. At the end, once the full 22 episode comes out, I'll buy the blue-ray version of it.

7. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    Just had a thought! Wouldn't it be an awesome if they included a DVD sized booklet of all the online comics pertaining to the episodes in the set??? At the very least make it a store exclusive, at Target for instance like they did with the movie.

8. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    I'm sorry but they aren't going to drag me into this Volume 1 of Season 1 crap. Even though I would love it I'm going to wait for the entire season in August or whenever it comes out.

It's just a way for you to spend more money and I'm not falling for it.

9. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I join the Blu-Ray or Death crowd. Only because I will already have all the episodes on Itunes, so why pay for them again, unless they are in a better format.

10. JediMasterShawn

JediMasterShawn Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2005
    http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/news_galaxydivided_dvd.html

Well, it looks like there will be a complete season set this year.

11. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Four episodes? Four?? That's ridiculous even my my 'must-have-it-all' standards. [face_plain]
    Not so much for the running time, but more the fact that they're staggering the releases so much.

(Obviously, if it's got any exclusives or extras we won't see on the full set, then I'll have to buy it [face_laugh] )

12. kardde20

kardde20 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2008
    4 episodes for 20 bucks is a total ripoff. anybody that buys this is a sucker. the full season will probably come out later in the year for about 40 bucks. i will wait for that.

13. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    Me too. I kinda figured they'd go with the "single-disk release with a few episodes now, full season box set later" approach animated shows aimed at children do, so it doesn't bother me.

14. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Welcome to the world of Warners animated DVD releases. This is the same as the DCAU shows. Just wait for the box sets. It's really sad to have a Star Wars release with Dolby Stereo. o_O

But yay, Blu-Ray confirmations!

15. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Extras-schmextras! Rent!!! Do not give them $20 for this! This release is for kids with stupid parents. Which is fine, because I'm all about this show being profitable.

16. darth_grievous1

darth_grievous1 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2004
    Four episodes?

Forget that, no purchase until the boxed set is released.

17. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Well they didn't confirm Blu-Ray but implied it was going to happen for the Season 1.0 box set later this year.

What a joke. I mean, I'm used to being used and abused by LFL, but $20 for 4 episodes is laughable. Why can't iTunes Canada just get the frakking episodes for download already? [face_frustrated]

Oh wait, Warner Brothers. This is the company that had, (I think at last count) SEVEN different versions of the last Smashing Pumpkins albums you could buy. So annoying and no way to get all the tracks on any of the versions.

I guarantee you there will be some hook. Preview for Season 2 or something.

18. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    Well, I guess I'm a sucker. I will be buying this and the boxed set.

19. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    DAMMIT!!!

What a worthless, idiotic move on everyone's part (WB and LucasFilm). Seriously, what the hell? 1 single disc, 4 edited episodes (as the original batch were 30 minutes according to the creators) and what I'm assuming will be zero bonus features. Bulllllcraaaaapppppppppppppp!

20. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    What really sucks is that this is just more fodder for the haters of the movie who never got into the show. They see this release and think: what an overpriced DVD! 4 episodes? probably sucks like the movie did, not wasting my time.

I hope the Forcecast brings this up in their next interview with Dave.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I so totally called it![face_dancing]

22. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Sigh...that about sums it up for me.

I think Clone Wars is a fantastic show that is being completely murdered by awful cash-grab marketing tactics.

The movie release was bad enough. I was really hoping that a reasonably-priced DVD release would suck in a lot of fans who skipped the show. But no. Four episodes is a joke. An absolute joke!

Screw you, Warner Brothers.

23. DarthMarino

DarthMarino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 18, 2002
    I think it's best just to ignore these little releases. The news is from the official site so the full season and Blu-Ray are confirmed. That makes me happy.

24. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    While a major shame that the first DVD release will be this bare bones one, I'm glad that a season set is in the works. My plan is to rent and copy the single disc, and wait it out for the season set (or snag it used a month after release, my video store usually would price it at $5). I just hope this doesn't create more hate.

25. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Granted, but this March release gives free press to the show that will still be on the air. This is not created for adult viewers anymore than individual releases of other Warners' cartoons were. These are impulse purchases for children.

It's a little asinine to complain about not getting the DVD set we want here when this is being released during the first season's initial run.

And again, hello **Netflix**!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.