main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Clone Wars Theatrical Release Possible?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by G-FETT, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    :eek:

Seems LFL are NOT ruling out the possibility that the Clone Wars may be launched in cinemas;

LINK

August 8th 2008 is the date talked about here, followed by the TV show in the autumn. Though it does say no date had been arranged and LFL have not confirmed anything.

2. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Given how awesome it was seeing the trailer in the Celebration Theater at CIV I really hope this launches in theaters. Didn't Lucasfilm say that Indy IV was their last theatrical release though? I remember GL saying that he thought theaters were going to die before all too long.

3. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Wow. That would be stellar and I hope LFL puts it in the theaters.

4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    In the end, Lucas will do whatever it takes to make sure his works are successful. ;)

*IF* this comes off, it also opens up the mothwatering possibility that we may, just may, get a theatrical launch for the Live Action series as well. Who would have thought that? ;)

5. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I'd love to see that. It would explain why John Williams would score it if he decides to.

6. Berkyjay

Berkyjay Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2007
    John Williams was reportedly interested in scoring the Live Action series not the Animated Series.

7. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I'll probably be the only naysayer on this one.

I think Lucas has done enough with the films, and I think it's better if it builds up momentum slowly through the TV arena - it's still going to be a huge event that everyone will tune into, I just would rather not see it open wide in theatres...

just a feeling I'm getting. :confused:

9. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    It would be really cool. It would give us another reason to dress up and wait in line.

10. Blackfryar

Blackfryar Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2007
    yeah it's a good idea, but isn't it a little too early after EIII?
    people (not fans i mean) may be a little tired of Starwars after 8 years of theatrical release
    it has to be really good to make them come

11. Falleen_Fan_No_1

Falleen_Fan_No_1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2007
    It will be really good! It looked amazing on the big screen at C4. When I got home I watched it on the computer and it was not nearly as exciting.

12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Obviously it would be unrealistc to expect the kind of audiances the movies generated to turn out for a cartoon, but I believe that in terms of cartoons, a cinema release could still be a huge deal - Even though people are a bit Star Warsed out. But remember, had there been another Prequel after ROTS 2008 would have been the release year. ;)

Anyway, it probably won't come to anything, but its certainly an exciting possibility.

13. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    Exactly! First thing that came to my mind. And, as rodan70 said, it would be incredible to get another chance to go all out for a midnight release. And as much as I doubt this will happen, the fact that the Hasbro rep pointed out a release date - August 8th - really makes it seem like a decision was made. I dunno, but I would think they would decide when it will debut after they already decided to do it. Maybe the decision has been made after all, and they just want the right time to announce it [face_thinking]

It would be great, thats for sure. Even better if they did it for the LA show, now that would be really getting a new Star Wars flick !

14. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    It would work great! Get a big opening weekend and make a huge base for the series. Even if only the hardcore fans went it would still be huge. Batman has done this type of thing in the past with both live and cartoon films so why not Star Wars? This is really a revolutionary idea to launch a TV series. I like it!

15. jamesvader

jamesvader Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2002
    I think it would be totally awesome to kick off the series in this fashion! I bought Hasbro stock on Friday based on this possibility. If not, I will hold the stock expecting the value to kick up a notch prior the next Transformers film, and new G.I. Joe flick. Next year will be a guaranteed profitable year for Hasbro in conjunction with this Star Wars news and Ironman. No brainer.

16. rodan70

Apr 1, 2002
    I hope this really happens. As a huge Star Wars Fan, We live for this kind of stuff. Star Wars fans can come togather for another movie/show or whatever.

17. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Actually, I think this would be a bad idea because it would present the product in what has become a "poor" format.

Perhaps if there were more screens with digital projectors that could provide the quality Lucas seeks...but overall, it would be bad...and when it fails to live up to SW films of the past, what will that say for it's success on TV...a success on TV is not a success in movie theaters...but a failure in theaters can translate swiftly to television...that stigma carries over.

I'm betting it's released on an HD channel...maybe pay-per-view...a week or so before it's general broadcast premiere. They'll also package it as a HD downloadable for purchase from whatever site...and it'll be a huge success.

I could see commercials in theaters...but highly unlikely to see it in theaters...especially in the summer season with so much competition.

18. jamesvader

jamesvader Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2002
    You know, I was actually thinking that on Sunday, during Beowulf. I am fortunate that our beloved Arligton Theatre has upgraded to Digital Projection in the last year, and further with Real-D upconversion for 3D projection capability. I was thinking that Beowulf would not be near as cool in a regular celluoid, 2-D projection format. I started thinking that maybe a Cinemation release might not be the way to go at this juncture, on a distrubution level. So much gets lost in the transfer. It's really truly dissappointing that the theatre exhibition industry has been so behind with the times. I think I may need to become an industry advocate and salesman for Teaxs Instruments or Sony Corp.

19. Falleen_Fan_No_1

Falleen_Fan_No_1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2007
    Remember, Lucas has said a lot of things ::cough episodes 7-9 cough::
    ;)

20. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Hey, I'd see it.

21. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    That's the key thing here, 95% of us would go and see it ;)

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    And those 5% who don't will be burned at the stake by the rest of us. :p

23. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    I wouldn't be all that surprised if they only allowed digital theaters to play it. I could be totally wrong, but if I remember correctly, Lucasfilm wouldn't let theaters whose sound wasn't up to par show either the SE or Ep I, which basically forced them to step up and improve the sound for future films. I saw Transformers in a DLP theater and the difference was incredible. It's like getting an HD TV- you'll never want to go back to standard def.

24. rodan70

Apr 1, 2002
    I'll agree with that.

25. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    Well at Celebration IV it was on a big movie screen it was truly incredible!! I was talking to my dad (who I took with me to Celebration IV) and he to this day agrees with me that the only way to watch these episodes is on the big screen, the visuals are so cinematic!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.