main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY Clone Wars Vol. 2 Countdown Thread--March 21st @ 7pm

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by ThePariah, Mar 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    That's what I was thinking. :p "Don't have a CAOW!" "No, do! Have a CAOW!"

WAS
    SWAS (Shirtless and Wet)
    AWAS (Armored and Wet)

Someone stop me... [face_worried]

2. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Last nights episode was great. The expressions on Obi Wan face were priceless. I also like how they showed the time progression and how the Clones now looked like Stormtroopers.

Oh and in case anyone missed an episode, Cartoon Network will be airing them this Saturday in a 90 minute block at either 7PM or 8PM

3. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Yep, at 8pm. ;)

4. citizenjohn

May 4, 2001
    Thanks Moriah

5. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    I found a 3d OT line in last night's episode. The requisite old favorite, "I have a bad feeling about this." :p

Waiting patiently for SLA tonight... :D

6. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    I wonder if the Clones in ROTS will have Jetpacks too.

7. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    LOL Yoda looked like he was gonna spazz out in the beggining.

Anakin and Obi-wan with Sticks.. haha

Whats up with the guy that looks like mufasa? lol

Oh and Yoda rules.

BLUE GUARDS!!!

8. johnny_nod

johnny_nod Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Now that's what I call a setup. :)

I mean, just sitting there drinking tea while everyone else is hotwired... :)

Windu rocked!

And so did Yoda! :)

Niiiice episode. :D

- Johnny

9. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    Yeah, Windu and Yoda both rocked tongiht!

10. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    What was with the wierd tribal Anakin tattoos??

11. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    SLA! SLA! :*

LOL, okay, okay...Mace is such a bad mutha - his fighter was purple! :cool:

I thought the tribal guy looked like Rafiki. The next time I watch this episode, I'm going to be wondering why Vader's voice isn't booming down from the sky: "You are my former self, and the Chosen One of the Jedi!" :p

And how about Obi-Wan's translating mojo? [face_laugh] Held up Anakin's hand like he'd just KO'd someone.

But the absolute best part:

"I won't fail you, Master."
    "No, Anakin. Don't fail yourself." :( :_|

edit: What was that thing Yoda was riding? Some kind of horse-goat?

12. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] Horse Goat...priceless.

No really, what the hell was that thing?

13. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Anu - Been looking into the horse-thingy Yoda was riding in Episode 23 (?) - do you remember the opening scene of Chapter 21 with Yoda leading troops into battle, it's the same beast.

From SW.com -

"Though Yoda was more widely known as a sage instructor who stayed mostly within the Jedi Temple, he saw frontline combat action during the Clone Wars. He led troops into the field atop a loyal kybuck steed, leading the charge against the Separatists."

[ http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/yoda/?id=eu ]

Aside from that, I can find no other info, not even in my Clone Wars DK sticker book lol (the source of all my uselful, but sticky knowledge :p )

Mike - I think the tribal stuff is a nod to GL's background in anthropology / mythology ;) But also a nod towards Anakin's Sith future - aka Darth Maul style facial/full body tatoos (just see Jan Duursema's Darth Maul comic to see the full stuff, well near full :p ) and also ancient Sith body markings.

---

Waiting to see chapter 25 in about an hour :) :p
    Still keeping zip about why "some" of the stuff in this series has miffed me off, let's just say the hardwork of others in the EU hasn't been respected :(

But I do love the cartoons for what they are ;)

14. johnny_nod

Dec 31, 2003
    I look at it this way, Tim...

It's two ways to lead in to Ep. III.

- Kids and pre-teens can absorb the Clone Wars cartoons.

- Adolescents and adults can read "Labyrinth of Evil" and be adequately prepared.

Different approaches, same end result.

Know what I mean? :)

- Johnny

15. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    I agree a little Johnny, that this is more aimed at kids whereas the comics and novels are aimed at a more mature audience. But (and I posted similar over on the DHC boards) ...

There is a level of professionalism and respect for other's work. Each company that does SW material has to go through a lengthy process of plot (and art depending on the medium) approval with LFL. From interviews we know the cartoon was subjected to this and it really does show in major points in the series. An example - DHC has worked hard on background characters in their ongoing Republic series. K'Krukh, the Whiphid Jedi is a more well-known one of these, he had roles in many comics and was part of the Jedi "uprising" shown in "Jedi: Mace Windu" where a group of Jedi who don't agree with the Council's stance in the Clone Wars broke away from the Jedi and refused to take part in the war. It was a great story (I won't ruin the end, but Mace is involved so you can guess where it will go lol). K'kruk is a comic-based Jedi, one used several times by his creators (Jan Duursema and John Ostrander I believe) and let's put it this way - chapter 21 shows the death of K'Kruk when he is clearly alive LATER in the comics. Also both Durge and Ventress survive their supposed deaths in the cartoon because the writers of the comics had stories for them to the end of the war. Tartakovsky has decided to go with sensationalism with characters other companies are using, and IMHO has shown less respect for the said companies when he decided to kill characters he had no right to - they were being used elsewhere, and they were not characters he had created, built up, and developed. DHC was working some great storylines for all the above characters when Randy Stradley of DHC posted that the cartoon was gonna upset the EU with it's body count.

I like the cartoons, but I can't help not watch them with a sense of dissappointment that someone as respected as Tartakovsky could not show some respect to the other people working in GL's sandbox. Kid's cartoon or not, the cartoon is also something adults can enjoy, it is NOT exclusive to children only.

Sorry for the rant lol, I am just disturbed by the cartoon and the EU which I both love. And chapter 25 IS NOT on today lol (they repeated 23-24 for a second day, and will show 25 tomorrow), so I am grumpy right now.

Edit: I think my main prob is that this now eye-candy over content, and when those same kids who love it now read the EU books and comics associated with the time period in a few years, they will be wondering what happened. Why the various stories do not gell. LFL have always stated professional continuity as an important factor in the EU creation, mistakes happen, but they are generally not so blatant.

16. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    And when they do happen, it's because the authors didn't yet know what Lucas was planning to do with the PT. I, Jedi, anyone? Valin Horn could not have been 10 years old when the Clone War was going on, and then be able to father Corran so that Corran and Luke are the same age. But poor Stackpole didn't have any PT info at the time (I don't think). :p

Now that I think about it, you've got a good point, Tim. I don't know the comics that well (though I do know that Asajj shows up nice and healthy in Obsession :D ), and I only really know one of the discrepancies between Volume 2 and ROTS/EU. On the one hand, I guess you could try to figure out who was coming up with their ideas first - did Tartavosky plot out the cartoons first, or did DCH and LucasBooks? Or you could wonder, if plots have to be carefully approved, how did Tartavosky get his through LFL? Maybe you could also point a finger at LFL in that respect.

But I do agree that just because the cartoons are aired on Cartoon Network, and theoretically aimed for a younger audience, that doesn't mean that they should just let the mucked up timeline slide. People have a hard enough time trying to explain all the weird little mistakes in the EU. :p

Or: maybe this is like an Infinities thing? Or, you can take either road, both will lead you to the same destination of ROTS.

Still, I can see how that's really irritating.

edit: So, where can I get one of those sticker books? :D

About the tribal thing - when I saw it, I was reminded of Native American culture. I'm not very well-versed in it, but I think a lot of the different tribes had the same ideas of young men proving themselves, that kind of thing. So it made sense to me for that to be in there.

Kybuck, eh? I'm still calling it a horse-goat. [face_laugh]

edit again: That K'kruk story sounds very interesting, I should take a look. Seems like the Jedi have their own internal Separatists.

17. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    OMG Moriah just laughed at me for how big an answer I will have to do, so sorry for anyone having to read this, cos it will be the mother-of-all posts lol ;)

The Clone Wars sticker book - I got mine whilst I was in NYC last time or earlier lol. I got from Forbidden Planet in Union Square, but here is the Amazon.com link so you know what you are looking for -

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0756607590/qid=1111702275/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-4572303-7870501?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

There is a Classic Trilogy one out, and also looks to be a ROTS one coming out too ;)

Plotting ideas - I believe it was June/July 2004 when it was announced that a third season of the Clone Wars would air. The issue where we see K'Krukh is alive and semi-well (he is injured lol) is Republic #63 (inside it says March 2004, the story takes place 16 months after the Battle of Geonosis, the part in Chapter 21 where K'Krukh is dead takes place 4 months ABG). Take note that Republic is now up to issue #74, so it is about 12 months ago when it came out as Republic is monthly (12 issues ago - and sometimes delayed too, but never early). From what I understand of what Randy Stradley has said to us on the DHC message boards, it takes at least several months for a comic plot to be fully approved by LFL, written, drawn, inked, coloured and eventually printed. So we are talking the plot where K'Krukh is alive 12 months after his alleged death is a lot older than any confirmation that a new series was in the works (public or not). Also, the DHC had to submit basic ideas of where they were going to take each character to LFL a long time in advance. On the issue of K'Krukh, the cartoon messed up and big time. An "EU" correction though isn't hard to do, K'Krukh seems to like taking a good kicking lol and still come back for more. Guess whiphids really are thick ;)

Infinities: I'd really go with that if Clone Wars was planned to be Infinities from the get-go. But the cartoons had and have the potential to be one of the greatest additions so far to the SW EU, and it seemed like they were going to be too. It's just they have sorta gone a little wrong in terms of EU. I understand a lot of people aren't fans of the EU, but as someone who does buy all/most of the EU stuff, I don't want my fandom going the way of Star Trek lol. Human mistakes are forgiven quite easy (I love nearly all the books so far, even the ones that make silly blunders).

The tribal thing: Yeah, my thoughts exactly :D :cool: , and why I mentioned anthropology - Arnold Van Gennep talked and wrote alot about rites of passage (coming of age rituals - manhood aka testosterone stuff), and I think you can tie what we saw into ancient America, Africa and many other cultures. I loved that scene, and I really am liking that side to the story. The geometric design reminded me a lot of ancient Greek pots - a culture where sport/hunting was a big part of life, and also Islamic art is very geometric too. Anakin would have kicked Achilles heel plenty of times in Troy ;) :p

Clone Wars comics: If you want to get them all, start with Republic #49 (though 46-49 has an Anakin/Obi story involving the Blue Guard). Republic #50 is a bumber issue around the siege of Kamino, one of the best stories so far. K'Krukh appears in "Jedi: Mace Windu" which is about that rift in the Jedi. It also involves a film Jedi, not the main ones, but one you see in the survivor's circle on Geonosis. To see K'Krukh in his first story btw, look for "Jedi Council: Acts of War" which was written by Randy Stradley :) If you need a breakdown of the series from then on I can, it has been about 50/50 or maybe a little more on Annie/Obi stories vs other ones. And there is one story with Mace and a posse of Jedi that will, when you see ROTS, make you go "Ahhhh!"

Ok, I have done enough eye damage for the mo, more if you need later lol :)

18. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Bah...it's all about QUIN!! :D

19. johnny_nod

Dec 31, 2003
    Niiiice symbology thing going in that test Anakin took...

Even caught a glimpse of a certain mask. :)

Anyone else see it?

*sigh*...one more and it's back to waiting...

- Johnny

20. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    I saw the mask. I did not like the Anakin part up until the end. Techno Union, cool. We are gonna see some slaughtering from Anakin, woohoo.

Ithorian Jedi and Force Vocal Blast. lol

21. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    I missed the mask the first time. It was kind of Pablo Picasso, after all. :p But I loved the whole deal with the warrior and his ghost hand.

"Anakin!" :eek: :(

Was anyone else just cracking up when Grievous's face popped down next to the lift? [face_laugh] And why were they even taking the lift? That was pretty funny.

As was Shaak Ti's clever way of getting rid Grievious - not to mention, use of film dialogue. [face_mischief]

And who was utterly not convinced by Palpy's performance? [face_laugh]

22. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    Was anyone else just cracking up when Grievous's face popped down next to the lift?

Yeah, I was. That was my favorite part of another awesome episode.

23. citizenjohn

May 4, 2001
    Saw the mask as well. Thought last nights was a better episode compared to tonights

24. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    Tomorrows' episode should totally rock. What mask?? I didn't see a mask?? What mask??

EDIT...OK...viewing it frame by frame I noticed the mask...how did you see that???

25. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Jim Carrey was in there? Where? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.