--Clone Wars Wikipedia Pages Improvement Drive--

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by IG_2000, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IG_2000 Force Ghost

star 4
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Star_Wars_characters

Sure we have Wookieepedia, but its nice seeing some of those characters in the Star Wars category on Wikipedia being significant enough to have their own pages... problem is, alot of them are crappy and not proper.

Pages like Assajj Ventress need a complete overhaul, while Cad Bane's page was plagiarized from the Databank, so Wikipedia needs someone to rewrite his page.

I say we as complete Star Wars nerds should make the effort to give our beloved characters respectable pages on Wikipedia. :-B

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darth_maul

I overhauled Darth Maul's page and added info about Savage Opress. If you wish to improve any pages I suggest following the layout my Darth Maul page is in, without going into too much biographical detail, focusing more on the creation and influence of the character.
  2. GGrievous Force Ghost

star 5
  3. IG_2000 Force Ghost

star 4
    I have nothing better to do. [face_coffee]
  4. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Not notable! Delete, delete, delete!
  5. GGrievous Force Ghost

star 5
    Wookieepedia, bro. That's how the wiki started. That's much better than Wikipedia.
  6. IG_2000 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm aware of Wookieepedia and how it started, but the only people that would go on that site are die hard Star Wars fans. Wikipedia is accessed by millions of normal people of varying interests every day. And if they happen to stumble upon Star Wars related pages that are a mess like Ventress's, its a bad first impression. I'm not suggesting to make new Star Wars articles that don't meet the notability guidelines, I'm saying to improve whats already there and qualified by the Wikipedia standards as "notable".
  7. GGrievous Force Ghost

star 5
    Wookieepedia.
  8. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    Bah, Wookieepedia is awesome, why bother with Wikipedia for Star Wars stuff? Fans have the Wookiee, non-fans couldn't care less.
  9. IG_2000 Force Ghost

star 4
    Honestly I've lost sight with Wookieepedia over the past few years. It seems like it completely lost its "anyone can edit" mantra, and now the elite users who've been there for years have complete control over articles, locking them for months at a time so they can edit at will without worrying about anybody else changing their contributions.

I once tried editing the Battle of Hoth article a few monthes ago, then a user reverted all my edits, leaving a message saying that the Battle of Hoth article was property of a specific user.

And you know what? Little do people know I'm actually one of the original users. I programmed and or laid the guidlines for alot of different templates (for example I designed the "Sorry about the mess" cleanup tag :p ) I left the site for a long time and came back when TCW Season 2 started airing.

I feel like a king that got kicked out of the castle :_|
  10. GGrievous Force Ghost

star 5
    No, no. Everybody can edit articles in Wookieepedia. If an article has a "inuse" tag above, then you may not edit until that tag is gone. :p Your edits have to be sourced and not jibberish.
  11. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    Yeah, Wookieepedia "senior editors" can be a bit obnoxious at times (I was even banned for a couple a weeks because I insisted the bounty hunter with the killer hat and crossbow was called Embo), but from time to time I still contribute with edits. And once you understand exactly what is frowned upon with the edits, it's pretty much smooth sailing.
  12. IG_2000 Force Ghost

star 4
    I knew about that, but it seems like all the elite users abuse the inuse tag and leave it up for monthes at a time.

For example, I believe Ahsoka or some Clone Wars related page says: "In use by *user* until the duration of the Clone Wars TV show ends."8-}

That time I edited the Battle of Hoth there wasn't even a tag on, the user just left a message on my page saying something like "its already in the hands of a more qualified user"

In short, the concept of Wookieepedia was similar to the intial concept of American democracy, but look what happened to that. [face_mischief]

13. GGrievous Force Ghost

star 5
    You must not know Wookieepedia a lot then. :p No one will touch those articles, since we're not the biggest TCW fans. We have a small handful of people that will edit in TCW-related articles, but everyone else won't. One thing we advise new writers in Wookieepedia is to grab smaller articles and work your way up. Don't go for the big articles like the Battle of Hoth. I'm talking about the regular writers, editors, ect. Not the ones that stop by once in a while and edit. They may edit whatever they like.
  14. IG_2000 Force Ghost

star 4
    I've actually noticed the whole Clone Wars editing thing has died down. I think the Battle of Kamino article is like 3 sentences long. :p

But last year, everyone was obsessive compulsive over making battle articles from TCW nobel peace prize winners. :p

I don't think you'll find a battle article from TCW seasons 1-2 that isn't featured or good status, or at least not written like it is intended be be featured or good status.
  15. GGrievous Force Ghost

star 5
    Not really. You might have noticed those small handful of users editing in TCW articles. Every other user, and there's a lot, ignore TCW articles. I wrote a few of those battle articles, but most of them were written by a friend and leader of Wookieeproject TCW, who leads that small group.

Everyone could edit in Wookieepedia, but we don't accept vandalizing, jibberish, or unverified information. :p
  16. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    Yeah, my problem is with how anal the Wookiee is about this "verified information" bit. That's why I got banned. During ComicCon or something like that we were shown the pictures of the S2 bounty hunters, and told about Embo. However the "elite editors" wouldn't let me assign that name to the character because it was "unverified information", even though it had been publicly announced to thousands of people, and broadcast over the internet.

But I get it, I get. Better to be safe than sorry....
  17. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4
    Eh, wookieepedia is alright, except for the whole debacle between the modding teams for KOTOR 2 before they were all removed.
    I actually contributed a few anonymous edits to the stormtrooper effect page, before someone came along and cleaned up my grammar.
  18. GGrievous Force Ghost

star 5
    Unless an official source states it.

I'm sure you heard that before, Gry. :p
  19. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    Yeah, but how is an official presentation at comic con by Dave Filoni NOT an official source?
  20. GGrievous Force Ghost

star 5
    It's not. Filoni rambling about things isn't one, but if SW.com has some news thing and is confirming information, then it would be fine.
    You should take a look at these policies: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookieepedia:Attribution and http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookieepedia:Sourcing
  21. JediMaster1511 Force Ghost

star 9
    I personally edited Ahsoka's page a couple weeks ago, and the only thing that happened was a user went through and added the accent mark to Padme's name.(I don't know how to.:p I know sad) So it couldn't have been that one. The only one I've seen TCW related was Satine's and last I checked the tag was off of it. I've editied some TCW articles over the past few weeks and have received no troubles from anyone or had anything "reverted." I actually don;t thibk I've ever had anything truly "reverted," and I only registered this past July.
  22. legosithmaster525 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Alright, first let me say I love Wookiepedia. Love it. I only edit TCW related things, mainly battle templates and droids. But, YAY, I can finally rant about the Wook. Okay, first, I contributed to TX-20 after Supply Lines aired with this piece of info:

During the Battle of Ryloth, he was stationed aboard Count Dooku's Separatist dreadnaught, where he intercepted a coded transmission that revealed Bail Organa was on his way to Toydaria to negotiate with King Katuunko to send relief supplies to Ryloth. Along with a B1 battle droid, he entered Dooku's meditation room, and told him of what had been transpiring. Per Dooku's orders, he contacted Senator Lott Dod of the Trade Federation to try to persuade the king not to send supplies. Despite Dodd's efforts, Katuunko ultimately agreed to sent the supplies, and the Twi'leks were saved.

He was later deployed onto the surface of the planet, tasked with protecting the anti-aircraft cannons.

It was mercilessly removed a very short time after I posted it. I mean, if I worded some things wrong couldn't you have just improved my grammar or wording? Why remove the entire edition? I even asked the remover why he did it, and he never told me. Oh and get this: I work on battle templates a lot, it's the main thing I do, mainly in the commanders section. So when I tried to post one of the command droids in the Battle of Ryloth, it was undone in about two minutes. I posted a request for it in the talk page. An administrator posted it for me, and it's been there since. REALLY? I mean, REALLY? You put the EXACT SAME INFO that I put, but it's not okay when I do it but you can? Why? Because I'm not a senior editor or administrator? I'm sure it's only a matter of time before some of the battles for Jedi Alliance I worked on improving is edited back to four sentences. Oh, and get this: Rush Clovis didn't die because we didn't see him die, but Trench is dead even though we didn't see him die. Do they just pick and choose what they like and what they want to add or not add?

Okay, sorry for that long rant, but it felt good to finally rant to someone about my trouble with Wookiepedia.
  23. Harpalyce Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I see what you're going for and I think it's a brilliant idea. The vanilla Wiki, aka Wikipedia, is more general use, and those articles could use some beefing up - not the detail Wookieepedia goes into, but still more than what's there. If I had more time, I'd help you. Sadly, I am rather lacking time. : / Good luck, though!
  24. IG_2000 Force Ghost

star 4
    edit: nevermind. not gonna bother anymore
  25. GGrievous Force Ghost

star 5
    Wookieepedia is everything for your Star Wars needs. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.