CLONE WARS

Discussion in 'Victoria, BC' started by haruwindsong, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haruwindsong Jedi Knight

star 2
    Just in case some of you have missed the big announcement, the Clone Wars will hit N.Am. theatres in August 2008, closely followed by its TV debut. Keep an eye to this space for further updates if you aren't a SW Insider or Hyperspace member.
  2. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Realistically, though, I would have to seriously wonder whatthe viable chances may or may not actually be, then, as to whether this CW theatrical premiere (and I *so* love actually saying those words, by the way, and you can well imagine the sheer delighted thrill it gives me, even now) will actually be offered here as well....on the one hand, yes maybe there could be at least a mere chance or even the most slender, tenuous, fragile and faint thin hope of it actually being offered and thus playing here, of all places, in one theatre or another (though if ever it did my money and greater preference would naturally be for Silvercity) - but at the same time, though, there is likely also the simple and inescapable fact to consider....that we are indeed talking about *Victoria*, far-flung lonely reaches of the vast Outer Rim and all, so with that too being said I suppose it wouldn't entirely surprise me if it indeed turned out....that we were sadly and regrettably, wistfully deprived of any chance to see it....

*shrugs* It could, then, I suppose end up going either way, when all's said and done - there may be a chance of it playing here, the full-blown and spectacular CW premiere in all its theatrical glory, but then it may very well also prove to be....not so much a likely thing for *here* of all places, then, for afte rall - 'twould seem to me that in the past we've ended up deprived and so unjustly, unfairly and gallingly denied one thing or another, and especially too one rather more fandom-y thing or another, at that....and maybe rather more likely than not, which apparently just seems to happen....at least so long as we're indeed stuck on this Island, if you take my meaning. Ahem. :) Aaaahhhh, but yes, certainly I'll grant it that with the news of this CW theatrical release, I for one am already considering making plans....contingency plans, if you will ;) - though whether that may mean somewheres like Vancouver maybe, or even Seattle or Oregon too....best to keep all the options open, evidently. :)

Dawn.
  3. haruwindsong Jedi Knight

star 2
    Taken directly from the "Aintitcool" web site:

Warner Bros. To Release
    CLONE WARS To U.S. Cinemas In August!! TV Series Follows On Warner Cable Channels In Fall!!

Quote: [Aug. 15 is the release date for the U.S. cinema version of ?Clone Wars,? the first ?Star Wars? movie not to open with 20th Century Fox?s fanfare.

Warner Bros. ? whose corporate siblings Cartoon Network and TNT will carry the new, Tartakovsky-free computer-animated ?Clone Wars? TV series this autumn ? will release the approximately 100-minute theatrical feature.

The cinema version, directed by Dave Filoni ("Avatar: The Last Airbender") from a screenplay by Henry Gilroy ("The Tick," "Justice League"), Scott Murphy ("Angel") and Steven Melching (the mid-'90s "X-Men"), is computer-animated as well.

Thirty half-hour episodes of the series have already been produced, with more on the way.] unquote

To me this means the release will be a movie cinema, North America-wide distribution.
  4. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah, well, be that as it may, the fact that the CW release is set to be most likely North America-wide doesn't necessarily or automatically indicate that it'll actually end up being shown here as well, because if there's one thing I've learned from very painful and dreadfully vexatious past personal experience, it certainly is that as likely as not we can end up going sadly wanting here when it comes to what others might luck out on or have the good fortune to see, whereas we on the other hand are deprived of it, never even have the *chance* to, in other words - for one reason or another. I mean, honestly, this is the far-flung reaches of the Outer Rim we're talking about here, also known as Victoria, B.C., the southermost tip of Vancouver Island and all, so truth be told I jus don't know as I exactly fancy our chances for this CW theatrical presentation - it just doesn't seem something I'm necessarily counting on as a sure thing at the moment....again, past experience has proved to me as much. Besides, hey, at the very least I'd imagine that the theatrical viewing experience somewheres else, like down in Seattle or maybe even in Vancouver or what have you, depending on the theatre, well - doubtless it could only prove better still than anything we have here, Silvercity to the notwithstanding, I mean.... :)

Dawn.
  5. haruwindsong Jedi Knight

star 2
    So, if everyone's concerned Victoria might not GET the Clone Wars movie, I suggest writing to LFL - Film Marketting Division and let them know you want to see this movie in our fair city.
  6. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *shrugs mildly, good-naturedly enough* Aaahhhhhh, well, I suspect I'm not necessarily concerned about it, per se - more just naturally presuming that as likely as not, the CW premiere probably won't show up here for whatever reason....though I'd also not at all object to being pleasantly surprised in that regard, so yes - who knows but what I'd probably not complain so much if I turned out to be wrong about that. ;) *wry chuckle* Of course, truth be told at this point I am already banking on checking out the premiere elsewhere, be it perchance in Washington State or even down in Oregon (especially fortuitous with a dear friend down there, whee!) or even back over Michigan-wards for instance, for e-zactly the same timely and apropos reason....obviously it's rather too early yet to be making any concrete, for-sure plans one way or the other, but still....clearly it behooves thinking about just the same, I'd expect. :) And, well, hey, clearly the main and penultimate thing is just to see the CW premiere at *all*, be it here, Washington State, back East, wherever else....just to *see* it is the critical, desperately essential thing, I'm guessing. And especially after that spectacular preview, oh merciful goodness, and all the other glorious sneak-preview glimpses thus far.... ;) :D *many squeeing, excited fangasms*

Dawn.
  7. haruwindsong Jedi Knight

star 2
    Keep in mind that the PNE is in August and we might all use that particular weekend to do both the PNE parades and the movie.
  8. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Mmmmmmm, yes, I suppose that could very well be a sound idea after all, at least if the CW release date (which we understandably don't know for sure and certain, apart from it being in August, and presumably we won't for at least a wee bit yet) synchs up with the PNE appearance....that would be the most optimal experience, I should think, probably as good as it's ever likely to get....so maybe it would behoove us to keep our fingers diligently crossed in hope and anticipation along those lines, eh, that it could very well work out to have the CW theatrical premiere (incidentally, I still love saying that, even the mere idea of it, truth be told....oh, how it brings such wonderfully warm feelings to my heart, makes me all pleasantly purry and tingly inside, truth be told.... :) [face_love] ) at least around the same time as the PNE, though undoubtedly it won't end up being on the exact same day - I daresay that even at this very early stage we're probably safe enough in presuming that much.... :)

Dawn.
  9. TR0773 Jedi Knight

star 1
    If anyone is in serious doubt whether or not the films will appear in Canada. E-mail Mary Franklin or Steve Sansweet, whom are in charge of Fan Relations in Bantha Tracks on behalf of LFL, and they can give you a definitive answer!
  10. SabotJune Jedi Knight

Don't worry--this release is going to be HUGE! Just as big as SITH, but from what I've been hearing, possibly bigger. This is the first film from Lucasfilm Animation and they want the world to know that they are on the scene and that STAR WARS is bigger than ever. They also want that one-two punch, with INDY and a STAR WARS film releasing in the same year. The McDonald's tie-in is going to be HUGE as well. I'm doing a line at SilverCity in addition to my INDY line, so hope to see you all there!
  11. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    We-ell, now, if you're already intending to do the whole pre-show line up thang for the CW theatrical release as well, it might be a wise and timely idea to network with me for that one - since I've rather a lot of experience organizing and pulling off these theatrical opening-night line-up events for SW, HP, and even once for one of the "Pirates" films as I recall....got it down to a fine art and exact science by now, I do, I surely reckon....comes from lo-oooong experience, though, ever since, oh - let's say almost right around this time, nigh-on ten full years ago, as a matter of fact. ;) *tee hee* So-o, then, yes, certainly I'd very much quite like to be in on the planning and pulling-together of a CW premiere night line and event, since this, too - very much what I've been doing for, 'lo, these many years as it is.... :D And, oh, yes, certainly insofar as even the chance of this CW premiere actually coming to Silvercity may very well be concerned - the last time I nosed on by Silvercity to check out "Jumper" yet again (squee, the awesomeness, by the way! :D ) - I did make a point of it to enquire about whether they'd heard anything to this effect, the chance that they'd be getting the CW theatrical release - because, of course, if ever any theatre in town would be likely to, 'twould simply *have* to be them, and maybe even especially so if there's any chance of it being shown in the digital-projection theatre they have there now.... *fiercely yearning expression* ....now, admittedly they couldn't say anything for a hundred-percent sure and certain about it, like it's still not something concretely confirmed, for obvious reasons - still, though, in talking to management about it, the distinct impression I got was that - it's Star Wars, ergo they apparently full well expect to have it....which in itself was most reassuring to hear and a definite relief, to be sure. :)

Dawn.
  12. haruwindsong Jedi Knight

star 2
    To those of you concerned that this event might not actually appear in our fair city rest easy---I saw Speed Racer on Friday and the Clone Wars trailer ran that evening.
  13. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, as I mentioned above I did make an especial point of it to ask the theatre staff over at Silvercity directly about the CW premiere, spoke to the gal on the floor and the manager (I presume) via the walkie-talkie, and the response I got was most definitely positive and quite encouraging enough, even then....namely, that yes - it was Star Wars, and it was clearly a "big deal" (to say the *very* least, I'm sure) and thus they full well expected to have it....I never received any other feedback from them to indicate otherwise, even though at that time we'd as yet heard nothing of a solidly, concretely confirmed premiere date. Now, of course, we do indeed have just that to rely on, and to thus mark it in our calendars accordingly.....if I happen to think of it whilst I'm in the area I'll swing on by the theatre again, sometime over the next little while, just to see if they might have heard anything more about it.... :)

Dawn. (and let's not forget that Silvercity now officially has one theatre equipped for digital projection, so I suppose, at least in theory....that it *could* very well be possible....again, I can ask them as to that effect, but in the meantime it certainly is an idea which *most* definitely appeals, and of course 'tis high time indeed that digital projection finally got here at all....the *only* true way to see a film in all its stunning, breathtaking, dazzling glory, I reckon - and *especially* so for SW in particular.... :D )
  14. SabotJune Jedi Knight

Hey Dawn--like I said--don't worry, it's coming to Victoria and all of its digital theatres! That's how Lucas prefers his films to be shown. I saw the HANNAH MONTANA film there and it was awesome in 3-D! Can't wait to see TRANSFORMERS 2 in 3-D!

We just went to see IRON MAN today--awesome film! Go see it if you haven't seen it already. Haru--what was the reaction to the CLONE WARS trailer? Groans as with the STAR TREK one?
  15. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *humorously raises eyebrow, chuckles* We-ell, now, did I say I was worried there....? Heck no, far from it in fact, because as I mentioned before I'm currently resting quite easy, content and well enough reassured in the fact that CW is coming here, numerous times I've checked in with the fine folks at Silvercity and they've been pretty well confirming as much for the past long while now....they've all but said it, and now of course we know the confirmed release date so I'm really saying as much too, but really, though - by no stretch of the imagination is it something I'm worrying and fretting over, ha, no chance whatsoever of *that* dread fate, I figure. We have our confirmed, official relase date - three months from now, whee! - and we have the one digital projection screen over at Silvercity, which is the *only* place worth seeing movies in this city as it is....so no, as I've said before, of course I'm not worried or fretting unduly. Why, who would be? :)

Dawn. (who will likely need each and every single last day between now and the August release, every single moment of the next ninety-or-so scant days, in other words, to put together all the various pieces and elements of what she has planned....)
  16. haruwindsong Jedi Knight

star 2
    I think I was the only one getting excited---much to my daughter's amusement. She takes my SW interest with a 10lb block of salt these days. Anyway, it looked good to me, the characters were less blocky as with the two previous animated series (which is why I disliked them so much). With today's technology you'd think the animators would at least TRY to make the characters look like the actors!

So who else is participating in the two Victoria parades in June?
  17. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Erm, you do realize that the first three seasons of "Clone Wars" as done by Gennedy Tartakovsky and the other fine folks on the team there at the Cartoon Network, they were *meant* to look that way, right....it was full well intended that they have that uniquely striking, bold-drawn and amped-up, rugged and strong-angled particular look to 'em after all, because that too falls right in line with the previous work that Tartakovsky et al had done on their other animated shorts - but just because the look was so strikingly animated and so visually stand-apart distinctive, though, in no way automatically diminishes all three seasons - which are award-winners, too, and *absolutely* deservedly so, by the way! :D *dances enthusiastically, zestfully* - or somehow means that they're lacking at all, because there is of course apt reason indeed why they were such a smash success for SW, for the Cartoon Network, for Tartakovsky et al....everyone involved, truly.
    Moreover, the upcoming CG-animated "Clone Wars" show does indeed reference or even subtly hearken back to the particular look of the 2-D cel-drawn enhanced "Clone Wars" miniseries, for they are in fact clearly calling on it or at least evoking that same certain distinctively strong-angled look to it all, that's obvious....just taken further into the realm of 3-D CG animation, that's all. But they're still drawing on or at least referencing what's come previous to it, though, just the same....a little bit of an acknowledging "tip o' the hat", if you will. And far from there ever being anything wrong with that, by my reckoning, there is instead only fair e'erything *right* with it after all. :) Besides, I happen to think as it's nice to see something out there which really looks quite unlike anything else we've seen before....as was the case with the previous "Clone Wars", and as will also apply to the upcoming one. It stands apart and breathtaking, bold and striking - the very nature of SW, truly! :D
    Dawn.
  18. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    ....we-ell, now, I suppose that to even some small extent I'd perchance been hoping that maybe, just maybe, it might have worked out so that they could've had the CW trailer showing in front of "Indy" last night (which, by the way, awesome, fabulous - my first theatrical "Indy" experience ever, go figure, eh? :) ) - admittedly maybe there wasn't much chance of it, since I'd already heard that the trailer ended up being attached to the dreck and horror show that was "Speed Racer" by all accounts - yet still, though, all the same, I'd also been figuring that there could *always* conceivably be hope of the trailer showing in front of something else too, enough so that I went in there last night, crossing my fingers and toes and diligently, enthusiastically hoping all the while. One never knows, after all, when it comes to such things....heck, back in February the word on the "Indy" trailer at one point seemed to be that it might end up attached to "Jumper" (again, wonderful fabulousness par excellence, truly) and of course at the time I'd figured that 'twould make perfect and befitting good sense for them to pair Indiana Jones with a film like that, a wild, taut, exciting, nerve-thrilling, spine-tingling adventure and fantastic ride unlike anything else seen, to be sure....mmmmmm, yes, as though there could ever be a better film to be showing that trailer in front of, clearly. ;)

To be sure, though, at one point as I recall it we were also hearing that - when it came to the must-see and deeply-desired "Indy" trailer, well, apparently there was talk of it being paired with some nothing film like "Spiderwick Chronicles" instead, which of course didn't sit at all well with me personally; yet still, though, at the time and thus despite even the reports that Indy would be paired with something other than "Jumper", I lived in hope and refused to give up on that, no matter what....again, figuring that there was always a chance of it, however seemingly small or tenuous. And of course, when all was duly said and done....it did in fact turn out, for all the talk of Indy being with "Spiderwick", that at least here it was indeed paired with "Jumper" - and I for one could scarce have been any happier, I suspect, and pretty much fell right out of my seat in glee and delight once I saw it. :) So-o then, yes, I'm guessing that in this case too, with the opening of "Indy", I'd just naturally presumed or at least been to some small extent hoping that maybe, at least theoretically, we could have a chance of the CW trailer too....stranger things have indeed happened in this world of ours, for sure. *shrugs, good-naturedly enough*

Now, granted, as it did all play out last night - 'twould seem that, alack-and-alas, we had no CW preview before "Indy", a bit of a regret for me I suppose....because, oh, think of what a happy and totally blissed-out fangirl all-around that surely would've made me. ;) Oh, but *still*, though....irregardless even what might've happened, or not as the case may be, with the CW trailer otherwise....what I do know for a fact is that - when I walked into Silvercity with some friends late yesterday afternoon, and we were just casually sitting around, waiting to line up for our showing....and I happened to glance over to the far inside wall, very idly, not even paying much attention at all, I suppose....and there, from a distance, I saw the absolutely *unmistakeable* colours and imagery, and the beautifully clear-as-all-day logo of the gorgeous, fine masterpiece of the "Clone Wars" *poster*, oh, right there on floor display - I knew it on immediate and instinctive sight, of course, and would you believe that I actually gasped and exclaimed aloud - literally dropped *everything* else I was holding, and I ran right over to that poster and flung my arms around it....

And I mean, I absolutely bolted at top speed right over there, the proverbial team o' wild banthas could never have held me back, I just pelted over to the poster like a positive maniac....and actually started impulsively hugging it, I simply couldn't
  19. KudosDas Jedi Master

star 2
    Just to let you guys know, we MAY have something big happening up Island here with Power of the Force and the release of The Clone Wars. I can't say too much now as we're still in the very early planning stages but keep your eyes and ears open. ;)

- John
  20. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *pricks up ears, appropriately interested and curiosity duly provoked* Okay, well, even with that much I daresay that you've certainly got me wondering - even at this rather early stage, to be sure, and I well understand it that to a certain extent things are probably still a wee bit tentative, nothing known for sure and certain just yet - though at least we do have our finalized, concrete, for-sure-and-certain release date, that's long-since been the proverbial done deal so at least we can rest easy and content in that much, at any rate....and also, the running time for the theatrical premiere, we know that as well - 121 minutes is the latest I've heard for it, at least if my source is well on track there, at any rate....we'll know soon enough whether Fandango.com is indeed reliable, though to be honest I'd imagine that it couldn't be too terribly far off the mark, if at all, really - pretty much two hours exactly is what I'm hearing, which does sound about right, then - wouldn't you agree? :)

Still, though, yes - certainly I'll grant it that I'd be quite curious and keen to hear more of what you guys might potentially have planned....though are you sure you perchance wouldn't want to make it down this-a-ways for the big theatrical premiere, though? :D I only ask because the odds-on favourite best place to check it out by *far* and away, at least locally (excepting of course an IMAX release, although, *oooohhhh*, having mentioned that.... *squees impulsively at even the mere tantalizing, daydreaming, aahhhh-yes-if-only thought*) seems to be Silvercity round 'ereabouts....and maybe even all the more so if they end up showing it in the digital theatre specifically, which I believe is number eight. Ohhhhhh, aye, *possibly*....certainly can't hurt to collectively cross our fingers and toes in fervent, sincere hope and prayer to that effect, at any rate.... *diligently goes right ahead and does just that*

Dawn. (a big deal....simply *must* be made of CW, as I see it....because it *is* a big deal, the very and most splendiferously, fabulouso big of all big deals, then, truly....because it's SW....and that's *all* that matters in my experience, anyway! :D )
  21. StellaArtoo Jedi Padawan

SilverCity's stock plummeted in my eyes when they didn't renew their THX certification for Cinema 5. Sure, it's nice and new and the real advantage they have is the elevated seating, but other than that, to me, it's no better than any of the other theatres in town. The exterior building decor is deplorable and looks like it was yanked from the 60s/70s!

From what I've heard, the CLONE WARS animated feature is in the 1h 30 min ballpark. And the digital theatre at SilverCity and Empire 6 will have it (all the digital theatres will get it if they want it, as this is how Lucasfilm prefers their productions to be presented). We went to check out HANNAH MONTANA: BEST OF BOTH WORLDS 3D at SilverCity and it was AWESOME! Our first digital and digital 3D viewing of a film. The color and contrast wasn't properly calibrated, but that was to be expected as the projectionists probably didn't have much training on the new system before HANNAH MONTANA was set to roll as Cinema 8 was refitted and remodeled in under a week.

I'd be interested in this up-island CLONE WARS kegger. I'm thinking of putting on a line at SilverCity again as well as a tailgate party. Can't wait to find out the deets!
  22. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    We-ell, now, to be fair it's not like we go to the movies based solely on the exterior building decor, or at the very least *I* certainly tend not to, as a rule.... ;) What I do know about Silvercity is that it *far* and away outstrips, in my experience, the Odeon and the former Capitol 6, now the Empire (oh, the delicious irony) - heck, I haven't been to check out a film at the Odeon in well over a year, and that was only because it didn't seem to be playing anywheres else. But that's fortunately a very rare circumstance in my experience, and yes - for, 'lo, these many years now I really have made quite an especial point of it to do all my theatre-going up at Silvercity - best seating layout, easy enough to find the prime location mid-row and in line with the speaker setup (I have this down to a fine art and perfected science by now, let me tell you) - best sound and screen presentation *rather* over and above any other theatre in town....

Now, is it anything compared to something like the Arclight, or the Alamo Theatre chain down south, or even the great, famed Grauman's Chinese? Oh, of course not, and no one could ever make that claim....but is it the best we have in town for the time being, until they really start revamping it and taking the theatre experience to the next level, the proverbial nth degree? Oh, I'd imagine so, ye-es.... :)

Well, obviously that's a piece of information not yet known for sure and certain, but yes....I'd say that we should very likely be expecting it to clock in around the full two hours, that would be very much in line with SW in general as we know and love it anyway, and as we've probably become well-accustomed to it by now, surely. :)

I'm still admittedly rather perturbed that for whatever reason, Silvercity wasn't showing Indy IV in the digital theatre (and oh, *oh*, if only....aye, if only, indeed....they had even been able to show a digital projection of "Jumper", a few months back....whether or not it was necessarily something available at the time, then, I still yearned for it and lusted after it just the same....ohhhh, how beautiful it absolutely would've been, how spectacular, how stunning - even more so, for sure!) - perhaps they'd not had a copy delivered for that theatre in particular, maybe they weren't yet eligible for it, who knows what....yet still, though, that did vex or at least confound me to a certain extent - I mean, honestly, it's Lucasfilm and it's Papa GL first and foremost, natch, and it's Steven Spielberg to boot....and it's *Indy*, already, and so whyever would one not want to have the chance of a full-blown and gloriously spectacular digital presentation there....almost as good as SW, I reckon - *almost*, but not quite, but then *nothing* is as grand or spectacular as SW in full-on digital theatrical presentation....and having seen ROTS digitally-projected, back when it first premiered, I can vouch for that fact with absolute certainty. Aaaahhhh,
  23. KudosDas Jedi Master

star 2

The reason why we're not organizing the event down Island like we did with Force-Con last December is that both myself and my right hand man Derek are working up here in Courtenay for the summer. Emails and phone calls are all fine and good, but in my experience nothing beats the ability to make face-to-face contact with the members of the community you are trying to organize an event with. I also have a large number of personal contacts here in the Valley, having grown up here, which makes it far easier to set up an event than in a city I've only lived in for three years, most of which I've spent on campus attending class at UVic.

That said, we'll see how things pan out. We've got a few different components to this August event, some of which we can run without if things don't pan out the way I'm hoping they will. If we can do a tie-in with certain parties in Victoria then we might be able to set up something in both cities. I need to hear back from certain individuals here in the North Island before I can look into anything like an multiple city or Island wide event.

I'll keep you guys posted as always. If any of you are on Facebook we'll be setting up a new page for Power of the Force sometime this week.

- John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.