main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by LBJ, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LBJ

LBJ Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2004
    So....................................who's going to any of kausty's Clone Wars screenings?????? 4 sessions over the weekend after release with guys from the 501st appearing in full costume etc. Could be fun.

What do people think about the Clone Wars movie in general? My understanding is that it is kicking off the tv series? (five seasons?)

I think the whole thing is pretty cool....the animation style different but I like it. Though I was a little curious as to the selection of that time era, I mean it's explored very thoroughly in the comics, novels, previous animated episodes....there are movies at the beginning and conclusion of the clone wars....I wondered if a totally different time period (KOTOR) might have been more interesting?

That said I still think it looks freaking cool...everyone already knows all the characters in it so yeah....looking forward to it.

Also looking forward to Force Unleashed...should be a blast (though the force powers look to be a little out of wack with the jedi powers established in the movies).

2. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    yes I am still alive.....

3. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    I was about to say :p

I won't repeat what I've said before, but you raise a good point. I think they chose to continue exploring the Clone Wars because there's so much within that timeline that we have yet to see. It's a fairly long campaign from what Lucas mentioned, so it makes sense. The KOTOR era isn't familiar enough to the general notice, just yet.

4. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    Yeah you are probably right...it's familiar for most people coming straight off the movie prequels over the past few years, I was probably looking at it more from a fan perspective and what I would personally like to see explored further. Now an animated series set in the 'Legacy' era, that could be way cool.

I believe the clone wars lasted about 3 years????? (between episodes 2 and 3).

5. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Yep, Clone Wars last about three years. I think the general thrust of the campaign was that after a number of initial losses, the Republic pushed the Separatists out of the Core and the Colonies and began besieging the Confederacy's strongholds in the Outer Rim. It was at this point that Palpatine set Order 66 in motion, because the Jedi were decimated during the conflict, and at this stage of the war were thinly-spread across the entire conflict. Grievous's strike was -- leaving aside Palpatine's machinations -- meant to be a sort of stopgap for the losses the Confederacy had suffered to that point.

6. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    I agree it did seem like that. The feel of the war by the time Episode 3 came along was that it had been a hard long slog but the Republic was indeed 'winning' and had pushed the CIS a long way back. The Grevious strike at Coruscant appeared almost like an act of desperation.

Any bets on what happens to Anakin's padawan Asoka? I'm thinking she has to die....or at least fail in her quest for knighthood. I don't believe Anakin could have ever had a padawan who was knighted by the council.

7. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    She probably winds up getting killed because of Anakin, but it just pushes him further towards the Dark Side rather than teaching him real Jedi responsibility.

I suppose they had to give Anakin a padawan at some stage to justify the fact the younglings in Ep 3 call him Master Skywalker, but I think that's part of why I'm less than enthused at this particular concept. They've already shoehorned Anakin being knighted, growing into the most powerful Force user in the galaxy, and dropping deep enough towards the Dark Side into a period of 3 years. Now they're throwing in the idea Anakin had enough time to be Ahsoka's master as well as do all that other stuff? Hmmm...

8. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    Yeah I think she will die somehow....maybe through Anakin's neglect on the battlefield, or his overconfidence in himself or her, who knows but yes I expect he would get angry about it and avenge her death.

I thought that perhaps the younglings referring to him as 'master skywalker' could have just been out of respect for their elders.....a trainee that young might call any jedi who had been knighted a master, yoda calls Obi-wan 'master kenobi' when addressing him in front of the padawans in episode 2 however I believe he was still a knight at that stage.

Also just remembered that Anakin had been put on the council by that stage in the movie? Though whether your average youngling would know about what the council is up to is probably highly debatable.

This 3 years is supposed to be the period where Anakin and Obiwan become great friends...move away from master and apprentice to become comrades etc. Maybe they kind of just flung Anakin a padawan due to the war but as you say it's cramming more stuff into that period.

There are some great stories in the comics during this period which cover the Anakin/Obiwan friendship, Asajji Ventress/Dooku events and of course the story of Qui-lan Voss. I don't see how this new animated series will really be able to fit in with the comic stories that cover the same period...and we've already seen Anakin kill Asajji Ventress in the previous clone wars animated cartoons.

I feel a little like they are telling the same stories over and over again. :confused:

9. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I haven't learned much about it at all, party because of avoiding spoilers but also because I'm too busy to bother. One question I do have for those who know a little more about it - How much does this overlap with the Clone wars cartoon? I've seen all that series. The trailer I saw of the movie seemed to indicate that a lot of it will be telling the same stuff.

10. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    Personally I don't really see how the two 'clone wars' series can overlap all that much. The first one from the studio that did samurai jack (forget the name) as I mentioned above ends the first season with anakin killing asajji ventress, we also get to see Dooku training asajji ventress in an earlier episode etc. In the trailers for the new clone wars animation we see asajji ventress alive and well at Dooku's side etc.

This is just my speculation but I'm guessing Anakin will end up killing asajji ventress in this new series as well so it's kind of like telling the same story over, albeit with a much more fleshed out plot etc because the duration of these episodes will be much longer.

So in short....I think certain aspects may cross over...or they will recycle some of the same ideas but I don't think you will be able to watch the previous animated episodes and then the new ones with any form of solid continuity.

What do you think Saint?

11. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Ventress didn't die.

This series explains further the later years of the Clone Wars, as Anakin grows in power. They don't overlap, but there are many stories between the end of the original animated series, the opening of Episode III, and this new series.

12. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    ahhhhhh excellent link.....she certainly goes through a lot in the comics he he....I should have remembered those comic stories but I've only read them once...need to re-read them.

Well not long now until we can all go see it!

13. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    I'm interested to know how soon after the movie comes out does the TV series begin, and if we'll get it on free to air or straight to DVD. I mean, the movie will be great, but how many seasons are we looking at here?

14. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    I seem to recall reading a while ago that there would be about 5 seasons of the clone wars series. I guess that is subject to change but yeah that's what I thought was the case.

Hopefully the season will start showing later this year (in the US), so sometime after that I imagine Australian tv will get it (for the people who don't download it). I'm guessing it would be free to air tv in Australia but on pay television in America....that is all just my speculation though.

To be honest I would prefer to just buy it on dvd and watch it with no ads etc rather then see it on television.

15. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    Actually on second thought maybe we will get it quickly after the US screenings...I remember with Supernatural we were getting them only a week after they screened in the US so maybe they will do something similar?

In which case I would guess we'll get them late this year?

16. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    Well I'm going Thursday night!

[face_dancing]

When are others going and where will you see it? I shall be going to Grand Cinemas, the sound system in theatre 9 at Warick has been replaced/upgraded and sounds fantastic!

17. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I've learned not to bother with anything shown on free to air here. Free to air will mean some crappy timeslot that's subject to change any time there's an earth shattering tennis game or dancing with the stars final. :p I'll look at other ways of getting it.

18. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    Agreed, I wouldn't really want to watch it on free to air either....getting it on dvd or blu-ray straight away would be great. With any luck though they will do a hi-def broadcast on free to air or something (I can hope).

19. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I'll probably do what I do with most good tv shows these days. Download it and watch it, and then buy it later when it becomes available. I don't consider downloads to be illegal when it's because of the crappiness of our local networks and I fully intend to pay for it anyway.

20. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    Well I just had a look at the fall line up of shows kicking off in September and there's a lot of stuff coming out that I want to watch starting soon, Heroes, Chuck, Supernatural to name a few.

Getting back on topic though no mention of clone wars yet....we continue to wait I guess.

Watched the movie again yesterday :D That will probably be the last time until a dvd/blu-ray release.

21. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I might take my young fella to see it this weekend.

Did you end up seeing it yet Steve ? I didn't properly read you message from Facebook until Sunday.

If you have not gone yet I should be able to make any session this weekend.

22. Master_Kaustin

Master_Kaustin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    http://s533.photobucket.com/albums/ee336/starwarstroop/

Photos from the Clone Wars weekend at Grand Cinemas Warwick

23. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    We went and saw it last night. Had the whole cinema to ourselves. Not exactly a busy night for any movie at the cinema.

24. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    Looks like a good turnout kausty!

25. Master_Kaustin

Master_Kaustin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    Yeah it was good hey :) I was happy as hell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.